• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Combat 101

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I can only play on my mobile devices and so I'm very limited in many ways. For fighting, it's automatic. I have a good idea on what troops I should use four each type but I feel like I'm following a wrong order though cuz while I usually win, I still lose lots of troops. Is there a guide for mobile fighting?
It will be extremely rare to avoid losing troops, even with manual fighting. That is part of the supplies sink for the game. and is standard for any combat game that requires you to make more troops.

Auto-fighting is no different on the app than the browser. So any of the various places that suggests troops will work for either.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I feel like I'm following a wrong order though cuz while I usually win, I still lose lots of troops. Is there a guide for mobile fighting?

Troop selection is universal whether it is the app or browser. I use to manual fight but now auto-fight almost exclusively due to the time advantages. Losses are inevitable and will be higher with harder fights, later tournament rounds or provincial fights with a higher difficulty rating.

Having the right unit type and been aware of the ratio of your squad size to the enemies are the main factors. After that it is more about fine tuning in terms of placement (important for both manual and auto fights), troop combinations, speciality troops and wonders.

Deleted User - 841850

This chart is really helpful. I have tried to figure out the matches on my own and have done okay but now I feel that I will be able to improve on that. I use auto fight but would like to do manual as I feel that I'll probably fighters that way. However, my biggest problem is the mechanics of the fight. I have an understanding of the match-ups but can't figure out how to move the fighters or how to attack.
I can't seem to get the fighters moving the way I want them to. For example I might want to put a fighter behind a bush but it won't go there. Another thing that happens is that a fighter gets turned around, won't turn back and stands there no matter what, just waiting to be be clobbered (I think my guys are "chicken"!). If I do manage to get a fighter where I want him I can't often get him to attack (see?.."chicken"), a lot of times I get into position and get whacked before I can even do anything!
I know it's about how to use the controls and I'm guessing the moves are timed or counted, and also the position in which I placed the fighters when I set them up. I've played fighting games on game consoles but never on computer, it's something that I'm not used to so need a basic guide on how to to it. I hope someone can help.I'd rather fight than cater and have to give up goods.
Thanks.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
This guide is intentionally very basic. For more detailed information there are several sources to try. I am unsure if anyone has precisely what you would like in respect to controls, but the following places may cover parts of what you need. Regardless these are some good resources.
  • Elvenar wiki - Most likely place to cover the controls
  • Gamers gems of knowledge website (also has some videos)
  • Elvenar Platinum leaf Facebook group and you tube videos
  • My combat guide (in forum, see signature)
  • Combat 201 guide (in forum) - Still very simple but the next step up from this guide
There are links to most of these in my guide or google them. I don't have details on the Facebook group but @Jackluyt can point you in the right direction for that group and video channel.

Deleted User - 841850

This guide is intentionally very basic. For more detailed information there are several sources to try. I am unsure if anyone has precisely what you would like in respect to controls, but the following places may cover parts of what you need. Regardless these are some good resources.
  • Elvenar wiki - Most likely place to cover the controls
  • Gamers gems of knowledge website (also has some videos)
  • Elvenar Platinum leaf Facebook group and you tube videos
  • My combat guide (in forum, see signature)
  • Combat 201 guide (in forum) - Still very simple but the next step up from this guide
There are links to most of these in my guide or google them. I don't have details on the Facebook group but @Jackluyt can point you in the right direction for that group and video channel.

Thanks Mykan for your response. I did as you suggested and was excited to find, on your battle guide page, someone who in 2016, posted (see below) the same kind of "how to make them fight" difficulty that I am having. Unfortunately much to my disappointment, no one seemed to have responded, at least I didn't see anything. Perhaps she received some advice in a conversation as I did, at least, I hope so. Battling seems really complicated and will probably involve a steep learning curve but I hope to master it and try out your suggestions when I do.

Thank you for the great information on fighting. But I still don't understand how you make them fight. I only have Sword dancers and Archers. The quest I am on said that I have to win 5 fights. Well needless to said that I lost my first only fight so far. Because I do not know what I am doing. GolddustMisty

DeletedUser12171

@momestar

There are three things you need to know about every unit

Movement - how far they can travel each turn
Range - how far they can attack
Initiative - who gets to move first

Since you are talking about manual fights, you are clearly playing the browser version of the game. In the browser version, there are tooltips for almost everything if you hover your cursor over the item. Open your military screen and try it, you'll learn a lot

Deleted User - 841850

@momestar

There are three things you need to know about every unit

Movement - how far they can travel each turn
Range - how far they can attack
Initiative - who gets to move first

Since you are talking about manual fights, you are clearly playing the browser version of the game. In the browser version, there are tooltips for almost everything if you hover your cursor over the item. Open your military screen and try it, you'll learn a lot

Oh...initiative tells you who moves first because that's what that word means. While I do know what initiative means I clearly did not apply it in this case, yep it's official, I'm a dummy. I also have no patience and am always rushing through things, so missed that, thanks for pointing it out, now I get why the granite dude just stands there getting pummeled!
Now to get the controls right, I get so aggravated when the fighter gets turned around and I can't get him back!

DeletedUser12171

Now to get the controls right, I get so aggravated when the fighter gets turned around and I can't get him back!

no idea why it does that on your game, probably a graphic glitch or something, but it shouldn't make a difference. as long as the unit is in the right spot (where you want him) it'll be fine. this isn't a fighting game where you get bonuses or handicaps based on how you face the opponent.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I get so aggravated when the fighter gets turned around and I can't get him back!
What I think you're seeing is when an enemy unit attacks one of your units, the unit being attacked turns toward the attacking unit. He'll turn once you monkey around with the solid yellow hexes and click for him to move when it's his turn again.

DeletedUser3750

I have seen a number of people lament their lack of combat skill, rather then post in threads and take them off-topic I thought I would create a new thread. For those with more interest in combat refer to the combat section of my guide. This brief tutorial is targeted for the very beginners when it comes to combat.

There is lots of information about combat that can be overwhelming so lets come back to basics:

Every province follows the same formula for unit type, they just vary the "ingredients". All you need to learn to begin is which of your troops is the key unit for which province. Every province has a key unit type that is designed to be the main troop for your attack. Simply:

Take 5 key units into battle and auto-fight

It is a very simply and very basic formula. You will not win every fight but you will be surprised how many you do win. Any that you lose cater/negotiate. This will get you started and you can learn more as you progress and become more familiar with various aspects.

If province battles are too hard then focus on the tournaments. The first round you have the advantage in squad size, round 2 is equal and from round 3 on the difficulty increases. The above formula is less effective the harder the fights but still works more times then many people realise.

What is a key unit?
Key_Unit_Summary.jpg

As you become more skilled you may choose to replace a key unit above with a similar type from one of the other military buildings. For example replace Sword Dancer or Axe Barbarian with Cerberus.
You can only field 1 squad for each slot, a maximum of 5 slots. If you are in the first 3 chapters the game is unbalanced and you will be outnumbered there. Just have patience and negotiate until the end of chapter 3, somewhere around there if you keeping close to the provinces to unlock each era then combat becomes possible again.

If you are past chapter 3 and grossly outnumbered you may have scouted beyond where your tech tree can keep up with your scouting.
One of the experienced combat fighters on beta was tracking the AI and had some evidence to indicate that watching fights on auto-fight was more effective then auto-fight. No one could explain why this would occur but it was an interesting concept.
I have seen a number of people lament their lack of combat skill, rather then post in threads and take them off-topic I thought I would create a new thread. For those with more interest in combat refer to the combat section of my guide. This brief tutorial is targeted for the very beginners when it comes to combat.

There is lots of information about combat that can be overwhelming so lets come back to basics:

Every province follows the same formula for unit type, they just vary the "ingredients". All you need to learn to begin is which of your troops is the key unit for which province. Every province has a key unit type that is designed to be the main troop for your attack. Simply:

Take 5 key units into battle and auto-fight

It is a very simply and very basic formula. You will not win every fight but you will be surprised how many you do win. Any that you lose cater/negotiate. This will get you started and you can learn more as you progress and become more familiar with various aspects.

If province battles are too hard then focus on the tournaments. The first round you have the advantage in squad size, round 2 is equal and from round 3 on the difficulty increases. The above formula is less effective the harder the fights but still works more times then many people realise.

What is a key unit?
Key_Unit_Summary.jpg

As you become more skilled you may choose to replace a key unit above with a similar type from one of the other military buildings. For example replace Sword Dancer or Axe Barbarian with Cerberus.
I am in Faires, level 7 and I do not have any of these characters you list for Humans.

DeletedUser3750

One of the experienced combat fighters on beta was tracking the AI and had some evidence to indicate that watching fights on auto-fight was more effective then auto-fight. No one could explain why this would occur but it was an interesting concept.
Why is it that one of my players makes a move, then all of theirs gets a turn? One of mine, all of theirs .......

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I am in Faires, level 7 and I do not have any of these characters you list for Humans
There are units listed for elves as well. Either way the unit type is the key thing so if I mention paladins for human then you will want treants for elves, etc.

Why is it that one of my players makes a move, then all of theirs gets a turn? One of mine, all of theirs
This is based on the initiative of the units, it will vary based on province, enemy mix an the units you select. Archers tend to be amongst the highest initiative units while priests and heavy melee are slower.

The wiki has a good explanation of the stats page
https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Units#Unit_Stats_Overview

Deleted User - 841850

The key unit chart is great. It is very helpful to have an idea of which fighter works better for which type of province. It's very similar to what like gamers gems has done for tournaments battles. There I win most of my battles which I can't say for the provinces, unless they are very easy or easy. In those I win every time in "very easy", unless I didn't pay attention and made a bad matchup or in "easy" where I win most of the battles.
I find that I misread or misunderstand the matchups, which is why I lose. While I understand the stats and the matchup indicators, I find it difficult to put it all together for effectiveness and often find that what I thought would work caused a defeat instead, even when I had higher numbers than the enemy. Also my math basic math skills stink ( for some reason I do much better with calculus, if this stuff was expressed in derivatives I think I might've done better, ...I think!:)) so my calculations with health always get goofed up.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
This chart is aimed at very beginners, anyone who can't figure out combat at all. Or those who want a very simplistic way to do some combat and cater the rest. Gems of knowledge, my guide and combat 201 all help to build on the basics.

It helps to remember that the map still plays a random factor and you can lose when you should have won just because the map layout is against you.