• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Contests disappeared

Moho

Chef
i10.jpg

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Thanks Ashrem. They've not been archived before, as far back as I can remember. I think they probably did it this time because of the problem with the last contest. Out of sight, out of mind.
A lot of stuff has been Archived, and it's been on the Forum staff's to do list for a couple of months; as I recall it was mentioned in passing to me at least.

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
To answer and eliminate all the Conspiracy threads, we do archive threads but until the archive forums are created we can't move them into the sorted forums by year or a general archive for other ones. So now that we have CMs that are available stuff is getting done.

Nothing is hidden just moved so that the current content is being shown and not 4,5 or more year back info.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
All the Contest threads are gone/archived not just the old ones. They don’t even show as archived like some sections do (General Discussions, Ideas, etc). That doesn’t make sense at all. Hopefully it’s an “oops” and fixed soon as those are fun to read and share.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
All the Contest threads are gone/archived not just the old ones. They don’t even show as archived like some sections do (General Discussions, Ideas, etc). That doesn’t make sense at all. Hopefully it’s an “oops” and fixed soon as those are fun to read and share.
There aren't any incomplete contests, so since the folder is called "complete" not "archived" it makes sense they are all gone.

Just seems like an issue with display of the "completed" folder. I'm sure they'll git it fixed soon.

free-spirit

To answer and eliminate all the Conspiracy threads, we do archive threads but until the archive forums are created we can't move them into the sorted forums by year or a general archive for other ones. So now that we have CMs that are available stuff is getting done.

Nothing is hidden just moved so that the current content is being shown and not 4,5 or more year back info.
Then why are current discussions being archived?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I should not have generalized. Of course things have been archived before. It's just that it's been done differently this time. That's what I meant by "hasn't been done before."Sorry for the confusion.

Silmaril

Community Manager
Hey guys, in theory the archiving is done every month, but that has not been quite the case for some time here, this is why it is noticeable currently due to the volumes involved.
Contest archiving is usually different and done within a couple of weeks, this is so that players are not confused by current contests and old ones. Generally we would expect one contest a month here, so all is cleared down ready for the upcoming one.
I hope that help explain a little :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog

Wow, in reading this I can put together a really interesting conspiracy theory concerning the nefarious dark matters deep within the halls of Inno power.... but I won't.

In considering all the evidence the best answer is that which is supported by the greatest amount of evidence. In every complex system there are always anomalies which appear to be contrary to the conclusion but which, often are later accounted for by a more detailed investigation or by growing understanding of how thing work. Thus, the tendency is for the best theory to become stronger over time.

AJ

free-spirit

Hey guys, in theory the archiving is done every month, but that has not been quite the case for some time here, this is why it is noticeable currently due to the volumes involved.
Contest archiving is usually different and done within a couple of weeks, this is so that players are not confused by current contests and old ones. Generally we would expect one contest a month here, so all is cleared down ready for the upcoming one.
I hope that help explain a little :)
Can you please explain why current conversations in the general chat are being archived? Threads that have comments within the past day or so?

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
The Contests were not just archived and placed in neat little folders, like the General Discussion threads, sorted by the year they took place and easily accessed. They were hidden away in some deep, dark Completed corner and have to be researched to be found.

Also, why are current conversations being archived?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The Contests were not just archived and placed in neat little folders, like the General Discussion threads, sorted by the year they took place and easily accessed. They were hidden away in some deep, dark Completed corner and have to be researched to be found.

Also, why are current conversations being archived?
Can you please explain why current conversations in the general chat are being archived? Threads that have comments within the past day or so?
Because the contests themselves are long over.

It might have been less confusing if they had posted "This contest is complete and the thread is closed" before archiving, but the mods do not have a duty to the community to allow us to keep commenting on closed contests.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
Because the contests themselves are long over.

It might have been less confusing if they had posted "This contest is complete and the thread is closed" before archiving, but the mods do not have a duty to the community to allow us to keep commenting on closed contests.
My apologies for the confusion but there are 2 questions we seek answers about in this discussion:
1. Why hide the contests?
(I have hopes they make those more visible.)
2. Why archive still open discussion threads?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
My apologies for the confusion but there are 2 questions we seek answers about in this discussion:
1. Why hide the contests?
(I have hopes they make those more visible.)
2. Why archive still open discussion threads?
I'm not a team member, but:
  1. it seems pretty obvious they didn't intend to hide anything, they just made a visibility error in setting up the "completed" folder. They've got nothing to gain from intentionally hiding them so Occam's razor says:it's probably a mistake and there are probably only a few people who can make those levels of changes to the directory structure, so since it's the weekend, it may take a few days to get it fixed.
  2. because it's a special purpose forum, which is contests, not a chat forum. The conversations are secondary to the purpose of the forum, which is contests. If people intensely want to discuss a past contest, they can always make a new thread in the Lounge or General depending on whether the content is relevant to the game. Anyone can create a new thread in those places.

free-spirit

I'm not a team member, but:
  1. it seems pretty obvious they didn't intend to hide anything, they just made a visibility error in setting up the "completed" folder. They've got nothing to gain from intentionally hiding them so Occam's razor says:it's probably a mistake and there are probably only a few people who can make those levels of changes to the directory structure, so since it's the weekend, it may take a few days to get it fixed.
  2. because it's a special purpose forum, which is contests, not a chat forum. The conversations are secondary to the purpose of the forum, which is contests. If people intensely want to discuss a past contest, they can always make a new thread in the Lounge or General depending on whether the content is relevant to the game. Anyone can create a new thread in those places.
Archiving current discussion threads is referring to the discussion threads in the main discussion section that have been archived when only a few days old.