• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Contests disappeared

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Archiving current discussion threads is referring to the discussion threads in the main discussion section that have been archived when only a few days old.
Then that probably deserves a thread of its own, rather than lumping it under this topic, which is "Contests disappeared" where it will apparently cause confusion.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Not if you actually read the question.
You are mistaken in two different ways.
  1. I am not a stupid person, and have above-average reading comprehension skills, yet you confused me by asking about something which could easily have related to the subject of the thread but apparently had nothing to do with it.
  2. Whether or not anyone understood your question as you wanted them to, it probably does deserve a thread of it's own rather than getting lost in this one.

free-spirit

You are mistaken in two different ways.
  1. I am not a stupid person, and have above-average reading comprehension skills, yet you confused me by asking about something which could easily have related to the subject of the thread but apparently had nothing to do with it.
  2. Whether or not anyone understood your question as you wanted them to, it probably does deserve a thread of it's own rather than getting lost in this one.
This is the thread that the current CM has replied in. There is another thread that has been ignored. The question was in reply to the CM's comment about archiving posts, so while you may have been confused, it was pretty clear.

"Then why are current discussions being archived?" @Dreamyn2 asked the exact same question, likely in this thread for the exact same reason.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This is the thread that the current CM has replied in. There is another thread that has been ignored. The question was in reply to the CM's comment about archiving posts, so while you may have been confused, it was pretty clear.

"Then why are current discussions being archived?" @Dreamyn2 asked the exact same question, likely in this thread for the exact same reason.
The CMs are not going to pay attention to every comment in a thread just becuase they responded to a particular comment. Paging a CM in a thread about a sepcific issue probably has a better chance of getting a response than adding an unrelated comment to another, unrelated, thread and hoping they will notice it.

I think it's not unlikely that, like me, any CMs who saw either of those comments assumed they refereed to active conversations in a contest thread. I could easily be wrong.

Nothing I've posted here is any sort of attack on you. I tried to help, my help wasn't helpful in a way you appreciated. I sometimes get a similar reaction when I advise people to be careful about investing in cyber-currency when they don't understand it. Not likeing my advice is always fine. That doesn't make it wrong.

free-spirit

The CMs are not going to pay attention to every comment in a thread just becuase they responded to a particular comment. Paging a CM in a thread about a sepcific issue probably has a better chance of getting a response than adding an unrelated comment to another, unrelated, thread and hoping they will notice it.

I think it's not unlikely that, like me, any CMs who saw either of those comments assumed they refereed to active conversations in a contest thread. I could easily be wrong.

Nothing I've posted here is any sort of attack on you. I tried to help, my help wasn't helpful in a way you appreciated. I sometimes get a similar reaction when I advise people to be careful about investing in cyber-currency when they don't understand it. Not likeing my advice is always fine. That doesn't make it wrong.
I'm sorry I am not using the forum to your liking. Feel free to block me, and then you will no longer have to worry about me not posting where you would prefer.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm sorry I am not using the forum to your liking. Feel free to block me, and then you will no longer have to worry about me not posting where you would prefer.
Again, I don't care where you post. I'm not confident you'll get what you want by posting about it here, but I have no vested interest in stopping you.

I've been participating in forums online since 1983 via dial-up and I don't recall ever feeling the need to block someone, and you are not bothering me in the least. If I was offended by people not taking my advice, I'd be a much sadder person than I am.

free-spirit

I've been participating in forums online since 1983

If you've been participating in forums since 1983 then you'd know that replying to someone also sends them a notification. So by replying to Silmaril, she will get a notification that I responded to her post. This thread also addresses the archiving and is not an inappropriate place to ask questions about it.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This thread also addresses the archiving and is not an inappropriate place to ask questions about it.
There are certainly no rules against it so nothing to stop you doing it. Since it is not clearly on topic, but could be, it's probably not worth getting offended if people reply in a way that assumes it is on topic, so appropriateness is a value judgement.

free-spirit

There are certainly no rules against it so nothing to stop you doing it. Since it is not clearly on topic, but could be, it's probably not worth getting offended if people reply in a way that assumes it is on topic, so appropriateness is a value judgement.
I'm very sorry you misread my initial question directed at Silmaril. I realize in your initial reply you were trying to be helpful.

I am not new to the forum and do not need advice from you about where it is or is not appropriate to post.

Pheryll

Set Designer
Archiving current discussion threads is referring to the discussion threads in the main discussion section that have been archived when only a few days old.

To this, look at the date of the original post. The moderators do not likely want to keep threads open for long periods of time, and are adjudicating this by the nature of the post (for example the Beta discussion thread is archived and renewed when the next chapter is released).

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
To this, look at the date of the original post. The moderators do not likely want to keep threads open for long periods of time, and are adjudicating this by the nature of the post (for example the Beta discussion thread is archived and renewed when the next chapter is released).
But, archiving something only a few days old?

Duke00012

Inno strikes again...if it ain't broke they will break it :cool:; all ya need is to blame it on adding new over-seers and give 'em busy work while not giving the peeps any head's up!

Silmaril

Community Manager
Hey guys, we archive threads that are three months old or more that are currently not active. They do not become invisible, simply moved to the archived thread to tidy up the Forum. I appreciate its been a while since this was last done here, so apologize that this is perhaps not something that you are used to monthly.
Regarding the contests, moving forward these should become monthly once again as I mentioned earlier. This is why prior ones get archived quickly after they end, as that space is required for the next contest to replace it. I am sorry if that was not clear.
Also like to add that I have not been tagged in this thread at all, as my name alone does not do that and requires an @Silmaril, exactly the same as tagging any of the wonderful community here :)

free-spirit

Posts that are still active and have people participating in the discussion shouldn't be archived. That's ridiculous.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
@free-spirit which indicates that maybe there was a mistake. Could you go to the threads concerning you and @Silmaril on those threads so you can get a thread specific response? Original Post was old and much of the info outdated. . . or the thread had been utterly derailed. . . or mistake.