• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Convent Naming Discussion

LisaMV

Oh! ha... Thank you!
I would have thought a link would be posted somewhere on the contest or discussion page

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
As I understand the time and the way I set it up the contest, and the voting will end on11/01 at midnight eastern time or 9pm Pacific time tonight. If it had said 12:01am 11/01 then it would have already ended last night.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
As I understand the time and the way I set it up the contest, and the voting will end on11/01 at midnight eastern time or 9pm Pacific time tonight. If it had said 12:01am 11/01 then it would have already ended last night.
This is a difficult question for a lot of people, so don't feel badly. There's no world consensus on this, although the majority of references call 12:00 am part of the next day.

The editors of EarthSky Magazine have this to say:

Also, if you wonder whether tonight’s midnight really belong to tonight – or to tomorrow morning: astronomers and the military use a system in which midnight is 0 hours. In that system, tonight’s midnight is the first moment of tomorrow. But as for the rest of us – there’s no official answer.

This is what Wikipedia says:

Midnight marks the beginning and ending of each day in civil time throughout the world. As the dividing point between one day and another, midnight defies easy classification as either part of the preceding day or of the following day. Though there is no global unanimity on the issue, most often midnight is considered the start of a new day and is associated with the hour 00:00.

Just check any alarm clock that has a calendar on it. The minute it says "12:00" it flips to the next day on the calendar. It doesn't wait until 12:01. It flips immediately. Check it out if you have an alarm with a calendar on it, or a watch, etc. :)

It could be an American versus European thing too. Or it could be a local preference in your area, Astram. There's so much variation in the world ... which is probably a good thing most of the time. :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
but 35 is clearly in the lead. Shouldn't we just end the voting now.
Thanks, Ashrem, but since it's only the first round and there are a few tied for the next highest, continuing the vote could still change things. And I can understand Astram's confusion about midnight, since the only ones who officially call it the next day are astronomers and the military. There are still many people who call it by local custom. My son told me that this confusion is the very reason why all college professors say something is due either 11:59 or 12:01, not because they don't know the most common answer, but because they realize that many people don't, and so they don't wish to cause confusion.

Oh well, anyway, the point is moot now, lol.