• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cross tier trades

shimmerfly

If you do a search for them you will see that there has been many debates over cross tiered trades.
I did not use to take them and know many still do not. I suppose it goes against the grain of how some of us were told to play.
I do take some now if I know it is a new player or someone is struggling.
I'm sure some others will chime in since this has been a touchy subject : ).

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I think it has to do with how the game used to calculate what constituted a 2-star trade in the past. The ratio for cross-tier 2-star trades used to be less fair. Therefore, it’s not to your advantage to take them and so fellowships don’t want members littering traders with them. They adjusted the ratio to be more fair now.

Like @shimmerfly, I also tend to not take them unless players are struggling (scroll boosted). It’s easier to keep track of your inventory usage and how many of each tier factory you need if you don’t contaminate your numbers cross-trading.

Iyapo1

Personal opinion here. I balanced my city so that I produce enough extra t1s to trade for t1s, enough t2s to trade for t2s, and enough t3s to trade for t3s.
Some players do not balance their cities, so they want t1s for t3s. If I trade t1s for t3s I wont be balanced. I wont have enough t1s to trade for t1s. Now I need to trade the extra t3s I just got back to t1s which I need. Basically it is adding an extra step to my trades so other players dont need to balance their own trade. I will take them from new players always and from FS mates who are struggling but otherwise I wont touch them.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I can tell y'all why they were frowned on in the beginning. Because it's easy for a chapter 3 or 4 city to make far, far more tier3 than they could possibly use. Simultaneously when chapter 5 was top of the tech tree it was feasible for end stage players to take cross tier trades but this did not carry forward into Chapter 6, Dwarf, or even the next chapter, Fairy. Various factors come into play that puts a lot of pressure on tier1, then tier2, which made taking tier3 cross trades very difficult for end stage players.

Back at the beginning of 2016, the end stage players made a rule: cross tier trades are bad, because at that point they were literally ruining the market. This gets corrected in chapter 9, Woodelf, if you play a balanced game and upgrade factories when the possibility opens up, because the pressure to do so keeps pace with potential upgrades.

Many players learned the 'rule' early on. And in fact, it's still a good rule of thumb early on. I hope this helps

Last edited:

Momonar

I think the best answer now is "simplicity". Yes, the ratio for a 2-star cross tier trade is more fair from a production cost viewpoint, but as lyapo mentioned, it is much simpler to trade within tier.

The strange part is that due to the demand dynamic on sentient goods, cross-tier trading helps provide supply in some situations. As the trader filtering capability was added, it is less of an issue of trades "clogging" the trader. It would still be nice to have a "same tier" filter option though.

sam767

I don't understand why cross tier trades are frowned upon by so many in this game. Can somebody help me out here and give me some reasons why this is so?
Players did abuse the old ratios - hence the legacy antipathy to cross tier trades. Should be no problem now.
I over produce everything and take anything my FS puts up. I want them to run the spire and do well in tournaments, I'll help them with goods.
I'm now end game.

Attachments

• Goods202111.jpg
    Goods202111.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 80

Myne

Oh Wise One
I do allow cross trading in my fellowship. I have cities of all levels. If, at times, they need to cross trade to meet their needs I have no problem with it. HOWEVER, if a player is doing nothing but that, we need to talk. I would want to coach them on how to balance their city.
Unbalanced cities create discontent, imho.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I have over 100 million scrolls. I encourage my members who have scrolls to store those factories and cross tier for what they need.
We thank you for your proactive approach to reducing the scroll problem.