• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Culture Boost Optional?

DeletedUser

Well, I have run smack-dab into a granite wall in the development of my city, and it is completely my own fault, as I hate to plan almost anything, but nevermind that.

An idea has been bouncing around in my head all day: Could I sell most of my cultural buildings to make space, and successfully compensate for the loss of the culture boost by constructing more residences and workshops while actually gaining room? Once I unlock the dwarven culture buildings, I think it might be possible.

Has anyone tried this? I still haven't quite decided on whether I'll make the attempt, or force myself to be patient.

DeletedUser43

You need a certain basic level of culture or you can't build anything. You know where it says how many culture points you have on your screen? As long as that is a positive number you are ok. Oh, I don't mean keeping your culture at 125% or 150%, I mean having just enough culture for your city to function. I am currently in negative culture because I sold 3 gardens and am replacing them with fire temples. So, culture you build if you go negative, but you can't build any houses or workshops if you have negative culture. Certainly though, you don't need any more than 100% culture.

DeletedUser

YES! I wish it had occurred to me sooner, but I often do things the hard way before a mini-epiphany flips a light switch.

DeletedUser43

When I first started playing this game, I thought I needed to have my culture at the maximum 200% all the time. Then they changed it so you could only have 170% max and I wasted so much space even keeping things that high. Now, if I see 125% it is only because I am about to use all that culture on something like upgrading an armory.

DeletedUser

Where I will still be hurting a little is producing enough supplies to keep the high level manufactories running. While I have followed the various discussions regarding only building the ones for your boosts, I enjoy hardly ever being low on any goods whether trading is robust or not.

DeletedUser61

You also have to carefully read what the Wiki DOESN'T SAY, at https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Culture#Culture_Bonus.
  • Goods are not effected by your Cultural Bonus. They are separately boosted by relics.
  • Troops are not effected by your Cultural Bonus. The number of troops you can train concurrently depends on your armories, while the number of training slots and the cycle times depend on the level of your Barracks
  • Culture only improves the production rates for your Coins & Supplies
It's therefore a pretty good strategy to plump up your Cultural Bonuses at the START of each chapter, while you're desperately bootstrapping your Houses and Workshops to their new levels, which gobbles up Coins and Supplies, and then DELETE your least efficient Cultural buildings to make room for additional manufacturing buildings, Ancient Wonders, and then finally the Cultural Buildings that you'll need once again when the next chapter is released.

DeletedUser43

What I found was that my non boosted goods produce about 1/5 the number of goods as my boosted goods. As long as I am able to trade on better than a 1 to 5 ratio on my boosted goods, then it makes more sense to have boosted only. Heck, you can always trade to the nasty old wholesaler for 1 to 5. But, I make a lot more goods for my entire fellowship to use if have only boosted goods. If I have 1 boosted and 2 nonboosted tier 3 factories I can make 1000 boosted and 400 nonboosted goods for a total of 1400 goods per day...but if I have 3 boosted only factories I can make 3000 goods per day. Then all I have to do is figure out how to get those goods traded for what I need.

But, I see that you are far ahead of everyone else in your fellowship so they may not be producing tier 3 goods at all. If that is the case, then yes, you might be stuck for a little while. Soon though, you will find that even if you trade 3 to 1, which would really help out your fellows, you would still come out ahead and they would get a lot more goods right away. That will help them build their factories faster and then they will have more goods to trade back to you. It becomes win win very quickly.

DeletedUser

Aye, I trade at a three to one ratio, even with my non-boosted goods if I accumulate enough, in order to speed up their growth. I'm not much of a hoarder, so as long as I can upgrade and research, I don't mind giving them away. (My competitiveness is pretty much nil)