• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Dean Durcu Quest, Layout For "Vis mortis!". . .

LEO1WOLF

I'm having a REAL tough time :oops: getting 4-Ea. of Necromancy, Alchemy & Arcane Faculty buildings - - to be touching the Campus. As you might already know, my Lev. 4 Campus is 10x10 squares & is very difficult to move. So it's creating a real headache :eek: in order for me to attach (4) each of the above mentioned buildings. They'll be updated to Lev. 4, but it should not change their "footprint" at all.

Can you provide me your layout in order to accomplish this Q please?

I thank any & all of you who give some great ideas on this one.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@LEO1WOLF
The Gems site has a few examples of layouts that accomplish this as well as a bunch of other stuff about the chapter. They have a section on each guest race with lots more info on each of them as well. Poke around while you're over there, but this will get you to the S&D stuff:
https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/sorcerers-dragons-chapter-x
You'll need to scroll down a ways for the layouts; they have them for each Campus lvl and of course the ones you need are the last of the layouts.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
You would want to build max of each (4) regardless of this quest. Number and level of your faculties determines how many apprentices you're going to get in the Wisdom Square, and this is the real limiting factor in S&D.

Depends on how quickly you want to complete the chapter. I did it in less than six months with only three of each building and before Portal Profit instants became easily available. My girlfriend did it a couple of months quicker in her city with just three of each building and some PPs.

Deleted User - 3932582

Depends on how quickly you want to complete the chapter. I did it in less than six months with only three of each building and before Portal Profit instants became easily available. My girlfriend did it a couple of months quicker in her city with just three of each building and some PPs.
This is true for most things in this game (decaying goods excluded) - if you're OK with moving ahead slowly, you need very little of anything, just wait for accumulation. My benchmark though is tech lock avoidance - can a relatively active free player complete a chapter without getting stuck on research? It can take about 30-35 days to get KPs needed for each chapter, and for most chapters one can complete it in that timeframe (not necessarily easy, but doable). S&D chapter is different though, it is really designed for tech lock. If I remember correctly, even max apprentice generation rate only allows for 50-60 days completion time. The only way around it is Portal Profits, and a lot of them. So the constraint is real - but anyone may just choose to ignore it, and move slowly.

At the other end of the spectrum you can probably complete S&D with L1 campus and just one each of L1 faculties. Don't even want to estimate how long it is going to take ;)

LEO1WOLF

@LEO1WOLF
The Gems site has a few examples of layouts that accomplish this as well as a bunch of other stuff about the chapter. They have a section on each guest race with lots more info on each of them as well. Poke around while you're over there, but this will get you to the S&D stuff:
https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/sorcerers-dragons-chapter-x
You'll need to scroll down a ways for the layouts; they have them for each Campus lvl and of course the ones you need are the last of the layouts.

Thank you very kindly for this samidodamage! :) On that page under: "CAMPUS LEVEL 4" - - that's EXACTLY what I needed, because I've tried just about every combination my mind (& layout of my city) could stand. :confused::eek:o_O I just wish that when I did my research about this very subject I was able to find it myself - - I guess I should have came to this forum 1st. Anyway, thanks again Pally - - you're the BEST! :D:p:cool:

LEO1WOLF

I never built four of each because I never had the space for them, but also because that quest can be declined, so you do not have to complete it.

Thank you Enevhar Aldarion, but in almost of my challenges, "decline" is not an option. That button to me is kind of like the word divorce, it's all too easy to just pull the plug on something without exhausting all resources before using said option. (But I do thank you for your input just the same, on that level.) As you mentioned that: "girlfriend did it a couple of months quicker in her city with just three of each building and some PPs", I'm pretty impatient when I see a Q stuck on my screen for more than about 30-days. So I dump a bunch of Diamonds on getting everything maxed out Level-wise & usually do pretty well, including those Portal Profits. NOW, if I could only find a bunch of Diamonds I.R.L. - - Wifey & I could shell out for the pool in the backyard we've always wanted. L.o.L.!

Thanks again for your suggestions Pally.

LEO1WOLF

I would also suggest that you use the Elven Architect to help you both layout the buildings, but give you a path on how to get from 1 to the other. That site is of immense help to me especially in considering what building to deploy and what effect they will have on my city.

OH, I agree whole-heartedly Socrates28, the Elven Architect has helped me tremendously on other issues. I think I was just feeling a little beat up on this one, because I'd already sold quite a few other Buildings just to make some room for this entire BEAST we call the Campus with it's 4-Ea Faculties. But thanks to YOU for reminding me; I've got a lot of other Buildings in my Queue, just waiting to be built or disenchanted & that Architect tool will come in handy once again.

Thank you for your input Buddy!

LEO1WOLF

This is true for most things in this game (decaying goods excluded) - if you're OK with moving ahead slowly, you need very little of anything, just wait for accumulation. My benchmark though is tech lock avoidance - can a relatively active free player complete a chapter without getting stuck on research? It can take about 30-35 days to get KPs needed for each chapter, and for most chapters one can complete it in that timeframe (not necessarily easy, but doable). S&D chapter is different though, it is really designed for tech lock. If I remember correctly, even max apprentice generation rate only allows for 50-60 days completion time. The only way around it is Portal Profits, and a lot of them. So the constraint is real - but anyone may just choose to ignore it, and move slowly.

At the other end of the spectrum you can probably complete S&D with L1 campus and just one each of L1 faculties. Don't even want to estimate how long it is going to take ;)

Some REALLY GOOD POINTS there MinMax Gamer & I can't agree more with your statement: "L1 campus and just one each of L1 faculties. Don't even want to estimate how long it is going to take"! I mentioned to another one of our Forum Compadres (above) that I can't stand having a Q on my screen for more than 30 days or so, so your term "tech lock avoidance" is spot-on. I wish I would have found both you & samidodamage for these reasons, quite a while ago.

Thank you very kindly for your insights as well my Friend!

Deleted User - 3932582

A note on using Portal Profit spells: As they are a % increase, it only makes sense to use them when your portal is at max. level.
A common view, but not necessarily always a correct one. For the chapters that upgrade portal with research goods, it is quite possibly worth it to ramp up your portal to L4 using portal profits way before you can even produce any of these goods naturally. You're less efficient with your PP usage, but your settlement production is so much more efficient so much earlier. In those chapters quite often you only get to L4 portal towards the end of the chapter, meaning you're underproducing all this time - meaning you need more PPs as you lack natural production. You also need more input goods which is a constraint in some chapters.

I always upgrade portal to L4 with PPs (and time boosts if needed) if I can.

DeletedUser5676

Yes, after I posted I thought of that, but wasn't sure. It seems to be a 'Chicken and Egg' conundrum. Has anyone else studied this?
They are for sure good early in halflings. You can upgrade your portal without having farms high enough to make the goods you need. Other than that, I don't know.

Socrates28

Yes, after I posted I thought of that, but wasn't sure. It seems to be a 'Chicken and Egg' conundrum. Has anyone else studied this?
@MinMax Gamer is correct in his assessment of the use of PPs. I am in Amuni and have used them mostly for that reason, to upgrade my Portal, throughout the previous chapters. The production boost and added storage more than make up for any "inefficiency" in their early use of upgrading the portal.
It also means that you get to the most "efficient" use of PPs sooner if you get teck locked and need the additional guest race goods to get out of it.