• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Diversity of Charachters! :D

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Again i agree that more diversity is needed, i just do not think new avatars need to be made to suit everyone, when what is needed is a way to customize existing avatars
I agree, and this would actually be extremely dangerous to even attempt in today's climate.

Answer me these riddles 3:
1. How do you draw an avatar to represent a minority group without using any stereotypes?
2. How do you use a stereotype while guaranteeing no one gets offended?
3. How fast would someone lose their job after failing #2?

Gath Of Baal

I agree, and this would actually be extremely dangerous to even attempt in today's climate.

Answer me these riddles 3:
1. How do you draw an avatar to represent a minority group without using any stereotypes?
2. How do you use a stereotype while guaranteeing no one gets offended?
3. How fast would someone lose their job after failing #2?

Yeah i did not even think about this. I agree. What would happen if INNO decided to make avatars to suit everyone and somehow the avatars they did make were offensive to that group.

At least with a customization tool, a player would only have themselves to blame once they created their avatar.

Gath Of Baal

Yes we asked for this on the EN server years ago, back when Marindor was CM. He said it could not be done because of variables that could compromise players' anonymity, and also Inno wanted to maintain a standard regarding artwork.

Well the issue of standards was severely compromised with the Instagram uploads that contain product placement which is against Elvenar 's rules.

So our OP has a point, there ought to be a dark skinned lady avatar somewhere. My mentor might even come back to the game in that case :)

I was not talking about using personal pictures or downloading pics off the internet to create avatars but instead an in game tool that would let you select from multiple choices skin tone, hair type, gender, facial features and the list goes on, to customize an avatar to a players liking..

If INNO provides all the options to customize an avatar then there should be no issue of standards not being met

Deleted User - 3932582

The color Black did not take on a negative meaning untill the middle ages when it was associated with The Black Death and Witchcraft and only in those instances. I feel that we Americans have given it all its other negative stereotypes like Bad guys wear black etc.
Metaphorical association of black -> negative is way, way older than that. It is very common across different cultures, and did not originate as a racial thing at all. There is a simple explanation for this - we see black when it is too dark to see, and darkness is dangerous. Humans as species are diurnal and reliant on vision, so darkness was a bad thing since the dawn of time.

Gath Of Baal

Metaphorical association of black -> negative is way, way older than that. It is very common across different cultures, and did not originate as a racial thing at all. There is a simple explanation for this - we see black when it is too dark to see, and darkness is dangerous. Humans as species are diurnal and reliant on vision, so darkness was a bad thing since the dawn of time.

Yeah i have some difficultly explaining things through writing and most of the times what i am thinking does not always translate well when i try and explain things. I get what you are saying but i was specifically trying to address this and i guess i did not do a good enough job in explaining my thinking

historically, people from Europe probably equated evil with black people.

I was trying to let her know that Europeans did not always associate the color Black as evil or bad and in fact Black was a kind of lucky prosperous color by using some cat examples, there are more non cat examples, I just choose Black Cats because it was the easiest example i could think of at the time and fairly easy to show the transition from Black Cats being thought of as good and lucky to Black Cats being a bad thing. the line you quoted was meant to show when that change in my example took place because of those 2 events.

I still feel that us Americans use the word Black more negative then any other country since we very rarely associated the color with anything good as other countries have done in the past, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that any negative racial usage that stems from it was started here.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Simple question: What if, in Elvenar, there are no people of color (POC) or elves of color (EOC)? What if the fantasy land just doesn't have them? The idea that an imaginary land must have diversity reflecting the actual human world is questionable.

On the other hand, if a POC does not wish to play Elvenar because the fantasy land has no POC or EOC in it, they are free to not play a statement that shows how short sited Inno was in the original development of the game. That Inno would create a land with no POC or EOC seems to me to have been a mistake. After all, POC and Non-POC players all spend the same money so why risk losing revenue to such a small thing? On the other hand, now that the mistake has been made, if the cost of fixing it is more than the profit generated by those who will not be playing due to the lack of POC or EOC's in the game, as a business they might very well decided to leave things as they are. The business of business is profit, not social commentary or correction -- unless that commentary or correction enhances the bottom line of course.

AJ

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I just think this is a hot button subject. Trying to be objective here! If 13% of American population is POC then 1 of 10 or 4 of 30 would make sense in a strictly "fair" distribution. Makes sense to me :cool: Of course the non-human ones shouldn't count either way.

Deleted User - 3932582

What if, in Elvenar, there are no people of color (POC) or elves of color (EOC)?
But there are. Elves just happen to be blue. And orcs happen to be green. Treants happen to be brown. Amunis have dark skin. Elementals have 4 different base colors - etc, etc. I am not sure how one can say that there is not enough diversity of characters in this game. Elvenar has many flaws, but this IMO is not one of them.

DeletedUser2959

Hello!

I am fairly new to this game, but as a lover of Fantasy, and everything involving Elves and Dragons, I have really enjoyed Elvenar! I also greatly appreciate the Forum and the community that comes along with it.

One thing that I noticed as soon as I was asked to choose a profile picture in the game was that... all the options were caucasian/caucasian based (I think there was one black male option). That automatically hurt-- a lot:confused:. I chose a player that most closely resembled a person of color...

Then, as I advanced, 2 more options for profile pictures came up... and I was both simultaneously hopeful that there was be a Black/POC option, and horrified that a player would have to advance to "earn" such a profile picture. :(

I think there is a simple fix for this! There are great artists out there that I'm sure would be happy to come up with more options! I think this would also get more POC to Elvenar (there is also no diveristy in the advertising).

Are there other POC on this Forum? How do y'all feel? Have other people raised this question? How soon can we fix this?

Sincerely,

Selamta :)
My avatar doesn't look like me either. It's an avatar.

DeletedUser26692

[QUOTE="Selamta, post: 196449, member: 27358"

Let's be real, this idea of Dark Elves being evil... more than likely, historically, people from Europe probably equated evil with black people.
[/QUOTE]

I learn something "new" everyday.... I had always thought that the ideas of the dark elves being evil was based type of magic they practiced not the actual color of their skin.