• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Do you want to build a magic academy?

Do you want to build a magic academy now?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 87.0%

• Total voters

DeletedUser1601

From what I heard from my fellowship members, everyone who has ever built the Magic Academy has regretted doing so. The spells are extremely expensive from what I hear and don't do anything. It adds extremely low benefit for high cost. Especially when you take into account that you are now missing an entire square for your city. There is a lot you can do with an entire square that does not involve you putting an entire building in its space.

DeletedUser2274

From what I heard from my fellowship members, everyone who has ever built the Magic Academy has regretted doing so. The spells are extremely expensive from what I hear and don't do anything. It adds extremely low benefit for high cost. Especially when you take into account that you are now missing an entire square for your city. There is a lot you can do with an entire square that does not involve you putting an entire building in its space.

I agree, Tuluto... I don't even use mine but yet there is a whole city square that I can't put new buildings that I need... all of my fellows hate it too... the only ones that don't hate it are my new members and I'm not even sure about them cuz they really haven't said anything about it.

Maz Mellor

To be fair/honest, there are some situations in which the Magic Academy is useful. It's those infrequent, transitory periods when, for whatever reason, you're super low on supplies, or just really want to amp up production of a certain manufactured good—say, to unlock a new technology, or replenish your stock after negotiating for relics—or that extra 5% culture bumps you up to the next level (because again, you're super low on supplies).

Yes, yes, I know—in a perfectly balanced/managed city, one wouldn't go through periods like that. But I have never claimed to be a perfect balancer or manager of cities. So I will freely confess: I have used the spells to good effect upon occasion, when strapped for supplies/goods/culture and feeling especially impatient.

However. I am not a bad city-balancer/manager either. Which means: 98% of the time, those d**n academies—yes, I got carried away and built them in Arendyll and Winyandor—just sit there. Taking up space. And snoring.

Those longed-for combat-enhancement spells really can't come soon enough.

DeletedUser1122

extra 5% culture bumps
In case you do not know: from a wise sage:)
"The Ensorcelled Spells are a useless strategy for large cities.They don't work unless a player is already running at 125% culture bonus. If you have 100%, you get no increase.Even worse, the 5% doesn't count incrementally toward the 125 - the bonus point just rises by 5% for every spell you have. With 1 Spell, my next bonus point is 130%, so on."

Maz Mellor

In case you do not know: from a wise sage:)
"The Ensorcelled Spells are a useless strategy for large cities.They don't work unless a player is already running at 125% culture bonus. If you have 100%, you get no increase.Even worse, the 5% doesn't count incrementally toward the 125 - the bonus point just rises by 5% for every spell you have. With 1 Spell, my next bonus point is 130%, so on."

Yes, I read that too! And hadn't realized that when the Culture Bonus meter registers 100%, that isn't considered a bonus. Fortunately for me, I hadn't yet run up against that in either of my cities—my elven city, which is the larger/more advanced of the two, is still sustaining an 125% culture bonus—and so I hadn't wasted any spells trying to increase a nonexistent bonus. But I know the day will come when that spell will go from being next-to-useless (as it is now), to just flat-out useless. o_O

DeletedUser594

I don't ming the academy but my Bulwark is looking like something I want to throw out the window. I misunderstood the numbers when building it thinking I would be getting a lot more units. Right now at level 4 it gives the same number of units I can make in 15 minutes using the supplies from a 15 min run in a workshop. i hope they do something worthwhile with that eyesore.

Ty
The Ensorcelled Spells are a useless strategy for large cities.They don't work unless a player is already...

True but the supply boost still slams- I just hit 6 buildings and was just about topped off again-
whether it's worth it or not can be debated but I'll tell you it's like winning craps in vegas. It has that feel of throwing down a 20 chip and winning 100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maz Mellor

I don't ming the academy but my Bulwark is looking like something I want to throw out the window. I misunderstood the numbers when building it thinking I would be getting a lot more units. Right now at level 4 it gives the same number of units I can make in 15 minutes using the supplies from a 15 min run in a workshop. i hope they do something worthwhile with that eyesore.

I just visited your city in Aren to find out what the Bulwark looked like/did. I have to agree, it's pretty unappealing looking—and so is (are?) the Mountain Halls. To each their own, I guess, but I'd say my elves and my humans are going to be bracing themselves for the day the dwarven architects and decorators arrive. :eek:

Last edited:

DeletedUser1987

I don't see the point of wasting an entire expansion block on something I'm not going to use. I am not pleased that the developers seem to have completely ignored the players' desire to not have a mandatory magic academy, as evidenced by the fact that I'm now having to stop researching squad size upgrade 6 to unlock this useless piece of junk.