• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Earthquake Roll Call

• Thread starter DeletedUser8192
  • Start date

DeletedUser8192

Hi there,

Just wanted to check in and see how all you folks in Cali are doing?

it would be great if those of you who are in the area could post something and let us know you are doing well, I am so glad to hear that there are still NO reports of fatalities.

Sending you all warm love and hopes that the aftershocks stop for good soon..

Seachant.

HUG DAY.jpg

DeletedUser8192

Yah I still actually haven't heard from a friend of mine that was close by..Luckily two of my friends were about 80 miles away from Ridge when t happened..They could feel it clear as day but got home safe...Crazy that they shut down the base over there..Well, let's all be glad there weren't fatalities...

DeletedUser2768

To slightly derail this thread, I'm in WA, and slept through the two earthquakes we had last week. Feels like the whole west coast is gearing up for something BIG (no pun intended). Statistically, WA is overdue for a massive eruption. Also, by statistics, Mt. Ranier should be the next one to blow. If it does, it'll be way worse than Mt. St. Helens in 1980.

The Unbeliever

To slightly derail this thread, I'm in WA, and slept through the two earthquakes we had last week. Feels like the whole west coast is gearing up for something BIG (no pun intended). Statistically, WA is overdue for a massive eruption. Also, by statistics, Mt. Ranier should be the next one to blow. If it does, it'll be way worse than Mt. St. Helens in 1980.
That's because there's what, 21 or 23 glaciers capping the mountain's summit?
Even a moderate eruption could melt them all, sending forth a truly monstrous lahar that would devastate a frightening chunk of land.
(as it spills into nearby waterways and just snowballs into a non-stop flood of volcanic mud and other debris)

Still, while Ranier iirc is among the so called 'decade volcanoes', the real worrisome on is 'ol Vesuvius...
When it goes, that's nearly 2 million people that will have a few hours to flee the main damage zones. (ie: Naples is royally boned. :p)

...of course, then there's always Yellowstone!

DeletedUser8192

i live about 17 miles east of San Diego and didn't feel a thing. my sister lives north of San Diego and felt it.
I am happy that you are both okay Crazy, sorry for the late reply, I had to undergo major surgery for my shoulder so just getting back to the keyboard a little bit each week.

DeletedUser8192

Thank you for your love!

Took some time to readjust to daily routine, but all is well at my neck of the woods :)

Great to hear Xelenia, it pits a smile on my face when I hear people are good when things could have gone much worse :)

Sorry for the late reply, couldn't be helped....

DeletedUser8192

Hey Rosehawk, glad you were able to sleep through them. indeed it will be worse when Rainier blows, even though Eruptions of Mount Rainier usually produce much less volcanic ash than do eruptions at Mount St. Helens, and that is owing to the volcano's great height and widespread cover of snow and glacier ice, which means eruption-triggered debris flows (lahars) at Mount Rainier are likely to be much larger -- and will travel a greater distance -- than those at Mount St. Helens in 1980. Furthermore, areas at risk from debris flows from Mount Rainier are more densely populated than similar areas around Mount St. Helens so if it is a no warning eruption there will likely be many fatalities/injuries

Fun fact, when I was little we lived very close to Helens when it blew up, and I remember thinking how much it looked like really cool thick snow as the ash fell around us lol..

DeletedUser8192

That's because there's what, 21 or 23 glaciers capping the mountain's summit?
Even a moderate eruption could melt them all, sending forth a truly monstrous lahar that would devastate a frightening chunk of land.
(as it spills into nearby waterways and just snowballs into a non-stop flood of volcanic mud and other debris)

Still, while Ranier iirc is among the so called 'decade volcanoes', the real worrisome on is 'ol Vesuvius...
When it goes, that's nearly 2 million people that will have a few hours to flee the main damage zones. (ie: Naples is royally boned. :p)

...of course, then there's always Yellowstone!

Yellowstone would suck for sure, but I would hate to see a repeat of the Stratovolcano Tambora..we did a volcano project in school and man that was a heck of a story to listen to the Geologist talk about..into the tens o fmillions in deaths due to its after effects on food and other impacts including the new strain of Cholera it spread around the world that people had no immunity too..No thank you./.

The Unbeliever

Yellowstone would suck for sure, but I would hate to see a repeat of the Stratovolcano Tambora..we did a volcano project in school and man that was a heck of a story to listen to the Geologist talk about..into the tens o fmillions in deaths due to its after effects on food and other impacts including the new strain of Cholera it spread around the world that people had no immunity too..No thank you./.
Don't worry too much about Ranier... it's so well monitored that it literally can't so much as fart without the USGS being all over it. ;)

If you think Tambora is horriawful, a full-blown (pun intended?!) Yellowstone super eruption is much, much worse. ;)
(ie: Yellowstone has led to actual ice ages in the past.:eek:)

DeletedUser2768

Hey Rosehawk, glad you were able to sleep through them. indeed it will be worse when Rainier blows, even though Eruptions of Mount Rainier usually produce much less volcanic ash than do eruptions at Mount St. Helens, and that is owing to the volcano's great height and widespread cover of snow and glacier ice, which means eruption-triggered debris flows (lahars) at Mount Rainier are likely to be much larger -- and will travel a greater distance -- than those at Mount St. Helens in 1980. Furthermore, areas at risk from debris flows from Mount Rainier are more densely populated than similar areas around Mount St. Helens so if it is a no warning eruption there will likely be many fatalities/injuries

Fun fact, when I was little we lived very close to Helens when it blew up, and I remember thinking how much it looked like really cool thick snow as the ash fell around us lol..

My dad was a trucker when it blew (I wasn't even conceived yet). He came to town a few days later and was blowing through all the ash wondering what was up with all the gray snow everywhere.