• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Elves can't fight

DeletedUser2947

It is time to bring some equity to the elven armies. They are VERY weak when compared to their human counterparts. The sorceress is almost useless, while the priest goes unscathed against many enemies.

Either allow us to switch races (yeah, that will never happen.... God forbid; we'd need a STORAGE area for manufacturies in order to redesign our cities)... or, just bring the elven armies to equivalent strength of human ones. Even "close" would do. Right now, it seems like 2-1 (meaning you need 2 elven men for every human one in many battles).

And no, do not say that being able to make cerberus compensates.

And no, do not say that those other creatures you can make in either the training camp or mercenary compensate. They are ALL weak when compared with the five human armies that currently exist in your "normal" barracks. There is NO reason why elves should have to build the huge mercenary camp to have a shot at decent (and still inferior to human) fighting in most provinces.

Okay, holding breath for implementation of this much-needed change.

DeletedUser9601

It is time to bring some equity to the elven armies. They are VERY weak when compared to their human counterparts. The sorceress is almost useless, while the priest goes unscathed against many enemies.
Its really just priests vs. sorceress. The rest of the units are comparable, and I greatly prefer Golems to Mortars.

Light Melee is basically a wash - humans with a bit more of an offensive focus (more ATK, bigger +dmg multipliers); elves with a bit more defense (more HP; bigger +def boosts).

Light Range I think elves are better. Comparable stats, but humans have less +ATK across the board, with more defense focus. Light Range has initiative and range advantages: you really shouldn't be getting hit as a light range unit. So I much prefer doing stronger attacks.

Mages, your points are on point. My only counter is that once you hit Fairies, you get Blossom Mages, which are better than both priests and sorcs.

Heavy Melee is closer than it looks, IMO. Treants have basically better stats across the board; the only Paladin benefit is the Reach 2. Reach 2 can be really nice, but 2 downsides: 1. Autofight doesn't make good use of Reach 2 (meaning you have to manually fight to fully get the benefit); 2. The enemy AI doesn't take reach into account very well, so often times the AI is running into range of my Treants anyways.

Heavy Range as I said: I prefer Golems. They're sturdier and they do way more damage. Mortar's super range is nice, but again, you need to be manually fighting to get these benefits. If you auto-fight, the AI will stupidly run your units into range. Plus, once you start facing 2-star and 3-star units (especially cerberus) that range doesn't really matter. The enemy will reach you in 1 turn regardless.

I get what you're saying, but its really not that bad. Otherwise, most (if not all) top players would be elves.

Pheryll

Set Designer
Another difference to point out. Elf fighting units help you save on orc expenditure. The treants serve as an excellent substitute for the orc warrior, and the golems for the orc strategist. The mortar does not have the fearsome damage for destroying not only light melee but also heavy melee, and the paladin lacks the huge hitpoint defense that can withstand attacks even from light range. Elven units have the strong points of their orc counterparts, and thus elves that fight would need to produce less orcs than humans.

DeletedUser2870

In my opinion elven units get to be slightly better than the human units later in the game, but in the first few chapters the human units definitely have a strong advantage.
Also, the nerfing of units that took place (by now so long ago a lot of players won't even know anymore) hit the elven units way harder than the human units.

That being said, the fact that elven units get to be a bit better later in the game is not so much of an advantage, since by then the other units have come available to both races, making the field more level than it was in the first few chapters.
I would agree that the golems are 9 (at lvl3) much better than the mortar, but before one gets there one is halfway through the techtree. Golems at lvl1 actually are pretty useless, their limited range puts them within range of any melee unit which will make short work of them.
The sorceress again is great at 3-star, but is no match for the priest at lower levels and the priest is much more effective in the general fighting early in the game.

Though I prefer to play elves (I like the graphics better) ALL my testcities that played as human advanced much faster than all of the elven cities, due to the simple fact that fighting was so much easier and so much more effective with the human units. Way fewer losses, meaning the army grows faster, or units are replenished at lower need of supplies because fewer units need to be replenished, is a huge advantage early in the game when supplies are often the bottleneck.

(edited for some typo's)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maz Mellor

I also prefer Golems to Mortars by a large margin. But the Sorceresses were rendered more or less useless by the battle redesign (which I do remember... not so fondly). I'm using Blossom Mages a lot now that I've got them upgraded to lvl 2, but it still feels like they die awfully easy. :(

Gath Of Baal

I like the Mortars, the best maps to use them on are the ones with a terrain feature that provides a choke point were you can clog it up with a unit of blessed paladins and sit 4 units of mortars back and fire from safety

DeletedUser9601

That being said, the fact that elven units get to be a bit better later in the game is not so much of an advantage, since by then the other units have come available to both races, making the field more level than it was in the first few chapters.
One thing to keep in mind. Lots of key military AWs give free barracks units. So you may not intentionally want to train Sword Dancers/Archers. But you will easily end up with 100s of free squads if you level your Bulwark and Shrine. And if those units beat the "free" human equivalents, that is a benefit that can have some real value. I basically don't use Cerberus in Round 1 of any Scroll tourneys or provinces, since I have a bunch of Sword Dancers that I can throw into the meat grinder.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I find they tend to balance out due to the better heavy range of the elves. In terms of tournaments there are 2 provinces where the key unit is HR and 2 for mage. For the other units types I suspect the AI and how it uses and responds to the troops has more to do with it than the actual units. Elves typically play to defense and humans offense, if I recall the AI just runs in and hits without using much defense strategy.

Though I prefer to play elves (I like the graphics better) ALL my test cities that played as human advanced much faster than all of the elven cities, due to the simple fact that fighting was so much easier and so much more effective with the human units.

While I didn't specifically pay attention to this my recollection would tend to agree to a point. The flip side for me was I found that elves production ability was better so I could still develop them as fast if I altered my strategy.

bkbajb

Either allow us to switch races (yeah, that will never happen.... God forbid; we'd need a STORAGE area for manufacturies in order to redesign our cities)... or, just bring the elven armies to equivalent strength of human ones. Even "close" would do. Right now, it seems like 2-1 (meaning you need 2 elven men for every human one in many battles).

And no, do not say that being able to make cerberus compensates.

And no, do not say that those other creatures you can make in either the training camp or mercenary compensate. They are ALL weak when compared with the five human armies that currently exist in your "normal" barracks. There is NO reason why elves should have to build the huge mercenary camp to have a shot at decent (and still inferior to human) fighting in most provinces.

Okay, holding breath for implementation of this much-needed change.

I disagree. My Elf city does very well in the tournaments. I upgrade my AW's which helps. I am in Woodelves and have no problem fighting. As far as the storage goes. Been discussed and will not happen which in my opinion is smart on Inno's part. Deal with the mistakes you make and learn from them. Easy way out solutions take the challenge away.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Elves also have a 66% chance of having a 1x2 Tier 1 building to help in events vs human 33% chance which IMO negates the slight military advantage humans may have:)

Of course, if your elf city has steel for a boost (like mine) you can just take pride in the fact that you are playing on hard mode.;)

Pheryll

Set Designer
Elves also have a 66% chance of having a 1x2 Tier 1 building to help in events vs human 33% chance which IMO negates the slight military advantage humans may have:)

Humans wind up with an extra 8 squares. If you are doing 4 complete sets of mixed tier 1, then the 8 square advantage is made up for. For FA, for example, the elves do well with a steel boost as it means that the complementary tier 1 buildings are all 1x2 or 2x1.

DeletedUser19433

As a cute, and adorable elf...I have to kindly disagree with the title of this thread :eek::eek: I have caused some chaos with my elven baby muscles :oops:

I believe I didn't cause Chaos I think I made chaos :p

DeletedUser9601

Of course, if your elf city has steel for a boost (like mine) you can just take pride in the fact that you are playing on hard mode.;)
But then you also get the easiest relic to max, so maybe it evens out in the wash :)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Humans wind up with an extra 8 squares. If you are doing 4 complete sets of mixed tier 1, then the 8 square advantage is made up for. For FA, for example, the elves do well with a steel boost as it means that the complementary tier 1 buildings are all 1x2 or 2x1.
Of my 3 cities, only beta has a small boost, and I find events are much faster there. Being able to build 40 T1 instead of 20 is sweeet.
If I could choose my boosts I'd pick plank silk gems for elf (tournament synergy + small)