• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Excess Ruin Shards

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Aragon, sometimes you can use them in the Magic Academy to make ancient knowledge points. Keep checking ... I just used 8 of them (plus some spell fragments) to craft a 15 point ancient kp. Also, check through your wonders list. You may find that there are wonders that are not yet filled. You can craft a rune in those to make room for more shards.

Gladiola

The broken shards are the ones you can use in the MA to make AW KP. You can accumulate a maximum of 10 broken shards at a time; any you get from the tournament or other sources after that will just disappear. So it makes sense to use extra broken shards to make AW KP unless you use a LOT of them in rune wheels. I get 2 broken shards every 48 hours from my fire phoenix, plus the ones I get in tournaments, so I'm always looking for ways to use up the broken shards.

Dew Spinner

The broken shards are the ones you can use in the MA to make AW KP. You can accumulate a maximum of 10 broken shards at a time; any you get from the tournament or other sources after that will just disappear. So it makes sense to use extra broken shards to make AW KP unless you use a LOT of them in rune wheels. I get 2 broken shards every 48 hours from my fire phoenix, plus the ones I get in tournaments, so I'm always looking for ways to use up the broken shards.
Broken Shards and Rune Shards are 2 different things. Someone is mixing up the terminology, either the OP or the players replying.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I have never noticed this
I certainly wouldn't waste them on a few kp
Especially when I'm still in lower chapters
This was for "excess" rune shards, not for those you can use in wonders. If they'll go to waste because you don't have anywhere else to put them, then it's worth it.

Broken Shards and Rune Shards are 2 different things. Someone is mixing up the terminology, either the OP or the players replying.

I always thought of them as runes and rune shards, with the shards being the broken ones. But I see Inno has completely altered the meaning of the word "shard." But I will try to be more clear in my terminology in future. What's ridiculous is that in some places, Inno calls them "runes." In others, it calls them "rune shards." They need to be uniform in their terminology too.

Gladiola

Regular rune shards you can accumulate in unlimited amounts, and as far as I know there's no way to use them other than in rune wheels. I have 77 Golden Abyss shards, so I should be set for filling in the rune wheel after every 5th upgrade.

Dew Spinner

Regular rune shards you can accumulate in unlimited amounts, and as far as I know there's no way to use them other than in rune wheels. I have 77 Golden Abyss shards, so I should be set for filling in the rune wheel after every 5th upgrade.
Actually, those are "Runes", the ones that light up each individual spot on the the "Rune Circle" are "Rune Shards". The Brown ones are "Broken Runes". Yes, it is very confusing! And the OP might have been talking about "Relics" and not "Runes" of any type! LOL And around we go!

Huor

One cool thing to do when doing an upgrade using the rune wheel, is to use the broken shards to create a rune for another aw that you want to build or upgrade. If you have a ton of runes for an aw you aren't really interested in, you can build/sell it just to crack runes into broken shards to fill in the wheel on other aw's.

InfinitiQX80

Question: Why is it that if the "RUNE" decides it wants to go into a spot where there is already a "RUNE" even though there are empty spots available, almost completely wasting the "RUNE" and turning it into a "BROKEN RUNE"?

It's stupid. Thanks devs.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Question: Why is it that if the "RUNE" decides it wants to go into a spot where there is already a "RUNE" even though there are empty spots available, almost completely wasting the "RUNE" and turning it into a "BROKEN RUNE"?

It's stupid. Thanks devs.
This can be super useful. You can then use the broken runes of all the wonders you never built to build the ones you do want. The shards are universal and can be forged into rune of any wonder, guaranteed to fit in the rune wheel when you collect 10 shards. I have completed entire rune wheels without owning a single rune of the wonder I am building and I am never stuck in the rune stages bc of this feature. It’s particularly useful when you are building the latest wonder and haven’t accumulated enough runes for it yet, but you’ve got 500+ runes for let’s say Tomes.

InfinitiQX80

Thank you for your reply.
It’s particularly useful when you are building the latest wonder and haven’t accumulated enough runes for it yet, but you’ve got 500+ runes for let’s say Tomes.

I'm not sure what to do with extra runes for one Ancient Wonder to help another.

Sprite1313

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure what to do with extra runes for one Ancient Wonder to help another.
Let's say you don't want to build Enar's Embassy (or Enar's Monument of Uselessness, if you prefer). But you have 500 runes for it. The wonder you want to upgrade is your Temple of the Toads (because you love you some Froggies). Insert your runes into Enar's uselessness. You are going to "break" ten of them before you finish. Then go back to the Toads and forge your missing rune.

1643685823108.png

I have built and rebuilt the Tome numerous times to harvest broken shards to use on wonders I actually want.

Last edited:

crackie

The Broken Shards are universal. Then can be used to forge the rune of any wonder and it is guaranteed to fit into the rune wheel of any wonder when you forge it.

I have built and rebuilt the Tome numerous times to harvest broken shards to use on wonders I actually want.
Dangit, I have to agree with you again?! Yes, Tome is the best wonder to do this on because if its rune wheel is full, you can quickly build it to clear the rune wheel to break more runes on. It has a relatively small footprint, requires the least resources to build, is one of the oldest wonders so you generally have a crap ton of runes for it, and it takes the shortest time to build.

InfinitiQX80

The Broken Shards are universal. Then can be used to forge the rune of any wonder and it is guaranteed to fit into the rune wheel of any wonder when you forge it.

Dangit, I have to agree with you again?! Yes, Tome is the best wonder to do this on because if its rune wheel is full, you can quickly build it to clear the rune wheel to break more runes on. It has a relatively small footprint, requires the least resources to build, is one of the oldest wonders so you generally have a crap ton of runes for it, and it takes the shortest time to build.
Thank you for your response. It really helped. :)

InfinitiQX80

Let's say you don't want to build Enar's Embassy (or Enar's Monument of Uselessness, if you prefer). But you have 500 runes for it. The wonder you want to upgrade is your Temple of the Toads (because you love you some Froggies). Insert your runes into Enar's uselessness. You are going to "break" ten of them before you finish. Then go back to the Toads and forge your missing rune.

View attachment 11818

Thank you for your help. It makes the game much more enjoyable when a player isn't 'blindly' trying to find answers to a question they don't know how to ask. I've tried searching the Elvenar Wiki for different things but I really don't think it's search-friendly. For example, when I search for information on a particular building like, "Orc Portal Site" the search comes back with, "There were no results matching the query". But of course, there IS a page for the "Orc Portal Site". I eventually found it. (I have a lot of concerns about the game's flow and player interaction but it's free so don't complain too much)

crackie

Just ask here. It's probably faster! I would also advise that you read everything here with a grain of salt (or for some, a three drinks minimum) though. A lot of it is preference of playing style so there isn't necessarily one "right" answer. Find your own preferred playing style. Take the tips that apply to your playing style and feel free to ignore the others.

Iyapo1

It makes the game much more enjoyable when a player isn't 'blindly' trying to find answers to a question they don't know how to ask. I've tried searching the Elvenar Wiki for different things but I really don't think it's search-friendly.
Ha...ain't that the truth! The forum is just as bad, go ahead search for Orc Portal Site! The search excludes the word orc, that's useful. /s

I have found a work around. If I search for = Elvenar Wiki Orc Portal Site on google...it points to the exact page I want(if it exists) it also gives forum posts with those words.