• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feeling stressed

DeletedUser14473

Hi :)

I'm new around here, started playing about a week ago and have been playing a lot since i'm on holidays... I've found a nice fellowship, which is not stressful - motto is "play at your own pace", and very helpful.

But i'm stressed by myself. In a week i've read about elvenar on many websites, redesigned my city several times (even for a 3x3 or 4x4 grid!), watched videos, learned to use "city planner", tried to understand about what i encountered (had to ask questions like "well EE in your title, what does it mean?" "Endless Excavation!"...), wondered about fighting, read many pages on Elvenar Wiki, Mykan's guides...
There is so much information flowing about. So many things to grasp. It's been really a hard time. I know it's not a high-speed race, but it's hard to resist the urge of "wanting to go forward". The tech tree is huge, staring at ancient wonders (while visiting other players cities) is like staring into an abyss (so many KP requested to level them up although other players can help)...

The note about a new extension coming out is great! The title "elementals" looks cool, but at the same time, this chapter seems unreachable... The chapter is so far away on the tech tree!

I found a daily to-do list that seems frightening too (a mix of video on youtube & facebook if i remember correctly). I took some notes :

Each day:
0 Allocate Knowledge Points
1 Visit fellowship / notifications
2 Go to the barracks / Armory: bunch of orcs
Get troups
Get barracks up and going for the day
3 Get to the tournament
4 Do the quest mobs request
Launch workshops according to the request
5 Cast spells
6 Harvest factories
7 Improve population / factories.....
8 Scout provinces
9 Set up traders
- take all the stuff from your fellowship you can afford
& trade what you need for a fight
10 - visit cities at your rank for ideas (click below your portrait)

Do you do everything each day?

Have you feeled stressed too while starting elvenar?
How can i "relax"?

DeletedUser5800

The end isn't unreachable but it is a looooong way off, like 18 months and by then they will have added another 6 months worth. If your end goal is catch the Dev's that will be a 2yr project without much $$$ invested... but it can happen, I started around June 2016 and am well into halflings, back then Fairies were brand new! So first and foremost, it is a long journey. But each part of that journey comes with it's own rewards as you grow and they are adding new things to make it more engaging.

Once again reflecting back to when I began, the first event had not happened, tournaments were fairly new and not FS centric, it was a simpler time. If you ever just need to kill some time go back to the start of the release notes in the forum thread and read through, it's interesting to see how the game evolved much like your city does.

I don't know about relaxing other than it comes with time, I started out high strung and ready for progress, it was only after the first year or so that I finally let go of most of that mentality, it just happens as the clock times extend and progress slows way down, most of that list is stuff you just do without thinking, you start doing stuff like spending a week figuring out how to fit one more building in without selling anything and are super excited when it works. It's all very chill, the sooner you think like a Samurai and not a Berserker the better the experience will be. ;)

And of course there are many groups, threads and even a lot of irrelevant non-sense to engage in on the side. I consider myself pretty close to an expert yet I still find and learn things often, there is actually a lot of depth in many places where it seems shallow, that is one of the best features about the game I think. People can play it without ever learning much and find enjoyment in it but if one is inclined to look much deeper there is almost always deeper to look. :cool:

Eldenisa Tiege

Well said Lord Draconian.
I started building my main city, Lighthaven, in May, 2017. I'm at the end of Chapter 5 and scared to death of the dwarfs!

I didn't start to relax until November when I realized that building my city is not a race. I can take my time and enjoy the trip. I've learned so much about myself and other people and there is still so much to learn! I still feel like a Newbie.

But the best thing I've learned while playing this is that there are So many people willing to help you and not get annoyed when you do or say something that maybe you shouldn't. I was lucky to meet a good friend and mentor when I first started playing. I hope you find at least one friend like that. I've also met some people who are not so nice (that's life). They take and refuse to help anyone. Luckily there are many, many more people who are willing to help others.

I say these things only to help you relax and enjoy building your city and enjoy your new friendships. And...

Have Fun!

Eldenisa
;->

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
You don't have to do everything every day. Your city can grow fast, or slow, as pleases you. Some people use short production cycles and log in several tiems a day, others use the longest cycles and only log in once a week. In the early levels, nothing decays, so if you move slow you don't lose, you just slow down on gaining. Much later there will be more decision-balance needed, as certain resources expire after a period of time, so going away for a week means you have none and have to start building again. Until then develop a pace that makes you happy.

DeletedUser2768

First: Take all those to-do lists and throw them out of the window.
Second: Put all those youtube videos and guides on the back burner.
Third: Remember this is a GAME it's meant to enjoyably waste time. If you're stressed, you're doing it wrong.

Kick back, have fun, and get pissed at the freezing when you cycle through tabs and/or system errors like the rest of us.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I agree with Rosehawk. In the beginning I wanted to do it all as quickly as I was able. That worked ok for the first few chapters. Then I hit dwarves and you WILL learn to slow down (or lose your mind, lol!) in dwarves. But I felt the stress you're talking about; it was a stress I put on myself. By the time I finished dwarves, I didn't care if I stayed in fairies for the next year! I became more active in the forums, wanting to share what I'd learned with others. I started working on the ancient wonders and improving my combat skills through more tournament participation. I began to explore the map differently: still in a circle and still no more than the required provinces for the next chapter, but I didn't complete provinces. I now scout a few, then go into one and clear a few encounters; go into another and do the same. I'll do that until I have 7/8 encounters done in the ones I need for the next expansion. Then I'd go into those, complete that last encounter and get the expansion. Rinse and repeat throughout the chapter. That also usually means I have encounters available that are easy to complete for event quests. I no longer fill up an expansion just because I can. I leave some open space in my city. May not be the most efficient use of space, but gives me somewhere to stick a building when I want/need to rearrange something(built-in temporary storage!). Also gives me space for extra 'event buildings', usually lvl 1 workshops and T1 factories and makes the events go smoother and quicker. I really enjoy the game a lot more now. There's so much to do in this game, and so many different ways to do it, that you'll never get bored even if you slow down. I don't ever want to be where the long term veterans are right now: at the end of the tech tree, waiting on the next guest race to come out. Some have been waiting for months! I like this game, I don't want to 'finish' it, I want it to keep going. So, slow and steady is now my mantra and I'm much happier for it.

DeletedUser14473

Thanks a lot for your detailed answers. This week, i felt i got somewhat crazy, setting up real timers to launch my new buildings / upgradings, fearing to lose knowledge points, calculating production rates, population per square... Well exhausting.
Timers... I even read that people wanting to finish tournament may wake up in the middle of the night due to the odd timers.
I even wanted to throw the game out of the window... But i prefered coming to the forum.

Taking a few steps back, and reading your posts several times will help me.

the sooner you think like a Samurai and not a Berserker the better the experience will be.
It will be hard becoming a Samurai, but i will try.

When i posted my message, i didn't know what to expect, but your different answers are very mind-soothing.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Welcome to the game and the forum. Everyone's approach to the game varies and it can be stressful for some, we also all started at different times. When I began many of the thing in the game did not exist, it was simply collect resource and do quests there where no tournaments, wonders, guest races, etc. The stresses where different as provincial fights was all we could do to "grow/play" but now there are many other diversions and a completely different system in place.

Naturally you will find that your progression is faster than the devs so don't stress on the size of the tech tree, you will get there. Remember all those far advanced towns all started right where you are, everyone begins in exactly the same place. :) Progression is much faster now than it used to be (it is slower in chapters 2-4 but faster as a game as a whole). The game goes in stages so just learn each stage as you go, by the time you reach the more complex stuff you will have mastered the early things, remember a child learns to crawl before it walks before it runs and it is the same here.

One of the best things I found was to get busy in life and leave the game for a day or two, you come back and realise everything is just as you left it. It is one of the nice things about this game, if it is stressing you perhaps put 1-day timers on and give it a break for a bit. KP is cheap as it turns up every hour and you can get more from provinces and tournaments, or buy it with coins. I am pretty sure we have all missed some of the hourly KP at one point or another.

Also remember that a lot of things in this game are optional so don't feel pressure to do everything, you don't have to do events, tournaments, visits, quests, etc. Do what works for you and fits your plans/time. Events and visits can be 2 of the most stressful things I have seen people mention, this is meant to be a game not a new set of chores/work.

Enjoy the journey as it is a fun ride and a great fellowship makes it all the better (unless you want to be solo).

DeletedUser5800

Also remember that a lot of things in this game are optional so don't feel pressure to do everything
I started to add that exact thing, the great majority of players build towards what they like best and ignore what they don't. I, for example, have never quest cycled a single time, I keep the mainline quest up to date and pretty much ignore the other set because I just don't like doing it. Maybe if I had done it for over a year I would have gained a few weeks but good grief it never seemed worth it to me. Some hate visits so they join a trade FS with no requirements to do so, some never bother with events, some only do the small ones. There are builds for daily players and builds for every 3hr players, people that never train or fight and people that almost only train and fight. This stressful start is really just showing you what you want to build as you stop doing what you don't want to and evolve your city to suit your method. ;)

satchmo33

I'm new also. I've been playing for only 8 months. It took 7 months just to get to dwarves. (Dwarves are a difficult slap in the face, but they are do-able). Main thing: have fun!!! For now, my advice is to stop studying and just play the game and let it happen as it happens. You'll learn by doing, not by reading and creating spread-sheets and lists (you can do that later if you want to but for now there are elite players who provide that for you). I particularly like my fellowship, formerly highly elite (I lucked out with an early mentor who "advertised" me to the FS) which recently experienced a huge upheaval, but we are solidly re-grouping. I like the events, but they can be just ignored without the sky falling. I have just started Fairies and I intend to spend a looooong time there, enjoying the graphics.

Mykan's post above: heed it. He and Soggy are friendly reliable sources of info. Good luck. You'll be surprised how much you figure out "by accident".