• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowship Adventure Improvement to Pit

In Order to make the Fellowship Adventure more exciting: I suggest we increase each Pit accomplishment be 500 pts instead of 50 pts. Currently, it is very predictable completing the Paths each time we play the Fellowship Adventure. In addition, it is very predictable who will place in the top 50. This would mean that Fellowships would strive to get to the Pit instead of avoiding it until the last minute. It may turn into a 'free-for-all' in the pit, but it would also increase participation.
Thank you for your attention.
Thorsen Teufelbeiss

Think about it this way...we take a lot of time clearing ALL paths for each stage...then we are forced to the pit. If you only take one path for each stage...you will probably be in the pit for 3 or 4 days...at that clear rate...it would probably give more points. In addition, I know when we are in the pit...it is very group focused and we seem to get a lot more involvement. It is not so much as " lets let the higher level players plow through...we dont get to play as much.' Maybe if there is a very close ranking in the Fellowship it would not be that way. We have a large disparity in ours.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I don't see how increasing the point values would make the pit more enticing. It would just increase everyone's points by an equal amount, so everyone would still be at the same rank. Where's the difference?

Most competitive fellowships probably clear all the waypoints except for the 300 point ones in the third stage where they take a single path and do the tricolors as well. This strategy gets them to the pit and the rounds of the pit earn them more than the waypoints left undone. Occassionally one of the stage three 300 point waypoints not on their path through is easy enough to do, but often the call for 40 blacksmiths, or 15 statues makes skipping those waypoints give you a higher score overall. By raising the value of the Pit you would make more waypoints worth skipping. And, as you said, that would get you to the Pit faster.

Unfortunately, getting to the Pit faster won't make the fellowship more competitive and that is what's really lacking. My own fellowship goes all out every three FA's and we usually achieve a top 10 finish. But while that's impressive, we don't end up higher than 5th (3 times) because the distances between the top 5 or so fellowships are usually measured thousands and thousands of points. The number one fellowship in Khelonar finished the last FA with over 150,000 points, the second place had over 120,000, third over 88,000, fourth over 61000 and fifth over 57000. As you can see the distances between each rank are huge. Making the Pit worth more wouldn't change the order much, if at all.

In reality the real competition in the FA is between the 4th and 20th range where as little as 50 points separates the fellowships, and where at least bragging rights gives you something beyond the paltry bonuses for finishing as you do.

If there is a "problem" with the whole FA it's probably nothing the devs can fix as there are fellowships large enough, strong enough, and organized enough, to tear their cities apart, put in huge FA Farms and just overwhelm the competition. And, in some ways, that's the whole point of a fellowship competition, isn't it?

So, in the end I'd have to give this a thumbs down as it really doesn't fix any problem.

AJ

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Think about it this way...we take a lot of time clearing ALL paths for each stage...then we are forced to the pit. If you only take one path for each stage...you will probably be in the pit for 3 or 4 days...at that clear rate...it would probably give more points. In addition, I know when we are in the pit...it is very group focused and we seem to get a lot more involvement. It is not so much as " lets let the higher level players plow through...we dont get to play as much.' Maybe if there is a very close ranking in the Fellowship it would not be that way. We have a large disparity in ours.
My group is the opposite. We all hate the pit. Although we took the easy way out this last FA, the one before that we achieved 4th place on, so we're not exactly slouches when it comes to the FA. But we like doing all three paths on all maps. (except for one or two waypoints we skip). We still have 3 or 4 days in the pit. This just wouldn't change anything except make the score numbers different ... but not the ranking for any of the top 20.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I don't like the pit and don't see how increasing the amount the same for everyone would change anything. Everyone's score would go up by the same amount. I would prefer adding a 4th stage with prizes in order to further minimize the time my fellowship spends in the Pit. Plus the hypothetical stage 4 prizes would almost certainly be more valuable than what we currently get from the Pit. Lets face it: even if you do increase your fellowship ranking a few spots by working hard in the Pit, the rewards for that at the end are pitiful.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I understand where op is coming from on this, and do agree with them actually on most of it. It won't make more exciting for most of the top fs but it could for many other fs. A lot don't like pit but a lot do. BUT.....I also get worried that adjusting something like this will cause another adjustment to FA that we won't like and will regret asking for a change like this.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I don't like the pit and don't see how increasing the amount the same for everyone would change anything. Everyone's score would go up by the same amount. I would prefer adding a 4th stage with prizes in order to further minimize the time my fellowship spends in the Pit. Plus the hypothetical stage 4 prizes would almost certainly be more valuable than what we currently get from the Pit. Lets face it: even if you do increase your fellowship ranking a few spots by working hard in the Pit, the rewards for that at the end are pitiful.
That's what I've been crying for for the past 3 years ... a fourth stage to minimize time in the pit! And you are so right on the prizes!

Soleil Nightbloom

I understand where op is coming from on this, and do agree with them actually on most of it. It won't make more exciting for most of the top fs but it could for many other fs. A lot don't like pit but a lot do. BUT.....I also get worried that adjusting something like this will cause another adjustment to FA that we won't like and will regret asking for a change like this.
I would rather they figured out a way for us to cash out the excess badges accrued at the FA's end for points instead. There are way too many players that have tons of leftover badges at the FAs end that are wasted. I know that this suggestion has been brought up several times already, but it still needs to happen.

The other 'fixes' would make the FA more interesting, but I was trying to think of a single 'fix' instead of a more complex rewrite. More stages could be fun as well. Maybe increasing the Pit points would not change the rankings in the top 10, but it may in the top 100. My main emphasis was to increase participation and make it more fun.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
The easiest way to 'fix' the FA is to stop having the FA a fixed pathway. There used to be different versions of the FA. Where different badges were needed. Ya know back in the stone ages.... bring that back so we are not playing the same thing time after time. It is already created, so it can't be that hard to change it up.

defiantoneks

here's an odd thought: how about a multiplier or factor that gives a percentage of points based on how many active FS participants you have.
so if a FS with 25 active peeps scores X points, a FS with 19 active participants gets the same number of points, they should get a + % bonus for doing the same work with fewer people.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I just want something different. Maybe the pit could be just that... a pit, where it is NOT a round robin, but you can put whatever badges you have into it at any time and there is a point value assigned to each badge. Yes, it will allow the pay for play people to sweep it up, but that isn't a difference to right now.... but there would be great for working stiffs like myself who are at work when the FA ends due to days that the FA runs.

Sprite1313

I just want something different. Maybe the pit could be just that... a pit, where it is NOT a round robin, but you can put whatever badges you have into it at any time and there is a point value assigned to each badge. Yes, it will allow the pay for play people to sweep it up, but that isn't a difference to right now.... but there would be great for working stiffs like myself who are at work when the FA ends due to days that the FA runs.
That would also accommodate @Soleil Nightbloom’s comment about “cashing out” the excess badges. I also still like the idea of having a badge pool for the FS once you get to the pit - everyone’s badges get dumped into an FS “bank”, and then a few designated players drop them. As it stands, the pit is the pits. Map 4 (5, 6, 7,… would be a much better option, IMO).

The easiest way to 'fix' the FA is to stop having the FA a fixed pathway. There used to be different versions of the FA. Where different badges were needed. Ya know back in the stone ages.... bring that back so we are not playing the same thing time after time. It is already created, so it can't be that hard to change it up.
I agree...the FA is getting to be boring and predictable. I analyze it, and then go on autopilot...

yeah i suggested that a while ago and got negative response. in many ways. that's the problem with suggestions re the FA and mainly the pit: no real agreement. too many ideas and no one wants to get behind just ONE and push for it. they all want their own idea.
that is why i tried to make simple suggestion to spice it up. I have been in committees where it gets bogged down in minutiae and grinds to a halt.. k.i.s.s.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I don’t think this has the desired effect as intended. There are large jumps in FS commitment to reach certain point thresholds, usually in increments of about 20k. For example, FS hitting 50k isn’t really in same league as FS that can hit 70k. The 70k groups are not competition for those that hit 90k, etc. By changing the scoring on how Pit is tracked, this gap will only explode to be more obvious. Then it will become such a wide gap that I think it would be more discouraging than encouraging regarding participation for everyone else. Ranking is fought out in the Pit as it is. Gaining more points for Pit participation would only favor those that are already doing well. If you are scoring below 40k now, this scoring system won’t help you. Instead of seeing the top score being 100k, they will just have way more zeroes behind them.