• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fighting - is it a joke? the joke's on us?

DeletedUser188

watching an Auto-Fight should provide a better example of what a manual fight SHOULD look like.
This might be true if the AI that Inno use 's for their games was actually intelligent but it isn't and never will be
Why would anyone waste their time watching the auto battle
Isnt the purpose of fighting auto to save time
If I want to watch the battle unfold I fight manually

DeletedUser594

That was my original point katwijk- the AI has always just attacked the troop with highest initiative but has recently changed in at least thta one regard. I had a sword attack my priest despite having higher intiative troops in range but it was one attack and then move on. This was during a manual fight so it stood out like a sore thumb. I was a bit shocked to see the Thief take a detour, leave the paladin/barbarian in range alone and give the priest a smack.
The auto battle is cringe worthy to watch. It's one forehead smacking D'oh! move after another
@6pac The double spells are active in regular play as well. I just went and fought to double check.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser43

Can someone explain initiative to me? I never have understood it.

DeletedUser61

Initiative is priority, and it controls the order of battle in the iniative bar across the bottom of the combat screen. Light Melee has high initiative, Heavy Ranged has low initiative.

If you look at the initiative bar, and assuming that the target can be reached because pathing is VERY important, in Auto-Fight YOUR leftmost unit will attack the opponent's leftmost unit, and vis versa.

As a consequence, your Light Melee units will take most of the damage, and thereby protect your Ranged units.

DeletedUser594

It's kinda like it sounds- those who have high initiative go first-. if you look at the chart in the wiki section under "units" the quality of initiative is listed under the symbol below. When your troops take the field whomever has the highest initiative goes first. The Sword and Axe are always first bcs they have an initiative of 12. Archers(elven/human) have an initiative of 10 but the enemy archers are at 7 so ours get first shot. .
The highest enemy initiative is 8 (thief/dog/orc) so your Sword(12) and archer(10) will go first and second, then those with an initiative of 8 will start their turns. If you have multiple troops with the same initiative on your side then they will go in order of placement 1 through 5 but placement is always secondary to initiative.
Mages have intiatives of 1 so they go last.
When sword or axe get placed in the field you can be sure of being able to surrender scot free bcs you have to end your turn b4 anyone else goes...so you can scout and surrender if you choose- but you can't if the troop has a low initiative bcs you have to wait your turn.

Attachments

• Initiative.png
    Initiative.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 56

DeletedUser

I was wondering about that. I checked the HP amounts on the initiative bar during battles and to me it looks like the amount of HP shown does not change when troops are hit without some of them dying (i.e. the game says X damage but no troops dying). Is this a bug? I find it hard to keep track of troops being close to losing another member because a previous hit nearly took one out...
They seem to work ok to me. Maybe you got lagged a little bit?
I didn't go down to exact numbers. I only estimate them (base on 1 unit HP and min dmg). Ex: when I see the enemy HP = 500. I'll pick the troop with min dmg = 500 (or at least average dmg ~500) for a clean kill.

For the defensive part, yeah, it's hard for exact calculations (which I never do @.@). It's mostly based on experience and memory. Since I always hold mouse over troops info to see the changes, after a while I kinda learn which one can withstand 1 more hit, which one not...

But it always has a small random factor.
Such as the green archer will make 0 kill/o dmg on sorceress III without the curse but 1 in 5 shots, they may make 1 kill.
The crossbowman usually makes 1 kill per shot but if you see 0 kill then next turn will be one for sure :D (So I move that unit to a safe spot) etc.

Anyway, every time my troops got dmg, they will show on the HP bar regardless there's kills or not.

@linhtho Yes and Yes. And after all that learning curve, the outcome is random. Oops.
But all that learning curve will narrow the range of the random outcome :D

The AI works on algorithm so it always reacts the same way to the same problem. After observing for a while, we can learn their habit. (Unless they evolve. This game AI *shrug* not so frequent =))

DeletedUser68

I merged your stacked posts, linhtho, and your Sig Graphic is WAY larger than the 500h x 150v pixels that are allowed, including any associated text.

Could you squeeze it down to an acceptable size? Otherwise we'll have to zap a very pretty graphic.

DeletedUser706

Anyway, every time my troops got dmg, they will show on the HP bar regardless there's kills or not.

Strange. To me it looks like the HP shown on the initiative bar is always the HP amount in the wiki times the number of troops still alive. I will check again next tournament.