• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Finally done with Orc chapter!!! Any advice?

DeletedUser4778

So, 2 months and one day, only two tech locks that lasted more than one day :eek: (less than two though) and plenty of space for Woodelves. Any advice on this chapter is very welcome! :)
Mana. Lots of mana. The first half is deceptively easy. The second half is murder. Also, do not upgrade your MH if it means you won't have enough mana to fulfill the grafting sites techs. Making mana tears in the Forest Fabrications eats lots of mana, like half the output of my 13 Weeping Willows so I added a 14th. I made that mistake because I wanted to be less broke after placing a city expansion. Big mistake. Could have spent the time making guest race goods while waiting for mana for the MH upgrade. Also, if you can build up your tier 3, do so because the jump in costs in provinces is steep. Like ouch steep.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I would have said everything that @Draconomicon did.
on one account I tried 6 fabs, 7/7/5 grafting and 14 Willows. Got techlocked for the first time ever due to goods and mana.
next account I tried 8 fabs, 9/9/6 grafting, and while the goods would have been about perfect, I couldn't get enough mana to run my fabs all the time.

My guess for a "zero tech-lock" chapter 10 would be 8 fabs, 9,9,6 grafting, and 18 willows. If you can't fit all of that(I couldn't) then reduce each number by 1 starting with willows until it fits.

it's important to note that other than upgrades your fabs will run on 9h cycles and your grafting sites are 3h or 9h, so your activity level could greatly impact your ratio needs of fabs:grafting

DeletedUser3220

Mana. Lots of mana. The first half is deceptively easy. The second half is murder. Also, do not upgrade your MH if it means you won't have enough mana to fulfill the grafting sites techs. Making mana tears in the Forest Fabrications eats lots of mana, like half the output of my 13 Weeping Willows so I added a 14th. I made that mistake because I wanted to be less broke after placing a city expansion. Big mistake. Could have spent the time making guest race goods while waiting for mana for the MH upgrade. Also, if you can build up your tier 3, do so because the jump in costs in provinces is steep. Like ouch steep.
Thank you for this bit of advice! I have been trying to save up enough Mana to do just that..upgrade the MH. I better to wait until I can place more Willows. I have only 7 at this time. Thanks again!

Susan4444

I am close to entering Woodelves myself and have been researching/preparing for a good long time. Space is an issue for willows/mana buildings. I have eliminated all straight culture buildings already, and am left with only event buildings (lots of those) carrying huge pop and culture. How in the world have you guys side stepped the negative numbers for pop and culture in this chapter? And what Woodelves' buildings will help reduce the negatives?

SoggyShorts

I am close to entering Woodelves myself and have been researching/preparing for a good long time. Space is an issue for willows/mana buildings. I have eliminated all straight culture buildings already, and am left with only event buildings (lots of those) carrying huge pop and culture. How in the world have you guys side stepped the negative numbers for pop and culture in this chapter? And what Woodelves' buildings will help reduce the negatives?

Can you share an elvenarchitect.com link to your city?
Here's an example of my human in chapter 9
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/ef08a4d4c69044939f3363790b938127/
it's not 100% accurate for what I did since I ditched the lighthouse and watchtower wonders (I was at 170% culture the whole chapter even with zero buffs)
I kept all of my pop/culture combo event rewards of which I had many.

Susan4444

Soggy .. I have been creating and re-creating elvenarcitect schematics for daaaaze .. literally. So, not yet. Your schematic helped tremendously however. I will say (to many folks' disagreements) I have each Ancient Wonder that I have built out along the way. It's a choice I get it. With all the effort of building each AW out, I truly do not want to eliminate any at this point .. but will, if I have to. I just have a TON of event buildings carrying huge amounts of pop/culture. My current culture level is 100 .. 125 with fellowship help (daily). So, no extra culture buildings. 32 residences, 10 workshops, 4 planks, 4 gems, 4 silks - no non-boosted. My greatest concerns are eliminating the event buildings (before AW's) and what buildings in Woodelves cut down on the negatives if I have to do this?

SoggyShorts

@Susan4444
It's hard to say what to replace. Residences get a pretty nice boost in pop/square, so you should be able to reduce those 32 residences. How much pop/sq are your event buildings giving you? I managed to just squeeze into chapter 7 for the winter stars, so I will be replacing them in chapter 11 when normal residences are better.
your 4/4/4/10 set up sounds good, I've done quite well with 5/3/2, but in woodelves and now S&D I'm feeling the pinch on T3 so I've replaced a T1 with a third T3 (which I should have done in orcs)

What I usually do to plan for each chapter is remove all residences from my plan, and upgrade everything to the new chapter max levels. Then I place all of what's left plus my guest race stuff. Then I fill the rest with new max level residences until the numbers turn green, and finally in chapter 9 I added as many willows as possible.
Then I works backwards from there, first downgrading my goods and workshops to current levels, then residences.
What wonders do you have? If you have ToS/EE/PT, do you also need 10 workshops? Each of those wonders should be making as much as a WS.

I found that replacing a workshop (and all of the support buildings) allowed me to have more room for willows, which in turn gave me even more culture, which gave me even more supplies. Maybe you can use one or more of those wonders to do the same.

Susan4444

Soggy .. I apologize for not responding sooner. Last 10 hours spent undoing Microsoft updates which caused major connection issues/browser issues. So I have been restoring my computer to a previous version just to be able to log into the game. So, 10 hours later .. here I am. My event buildings yield 15,900 culture/ 24,660 pop. Huge numbers. All but 1 straight culture building have been eliminated already. I have all AW's except Blooming Trader but close to finishing that one too. I have appreciated your vision on how you think through layouts and will take your wisdom gladly. Will just have to bite the bullet even more on eliminations. Will be a mix of things. Thanks for all your help .. as always. :) Susan

DeletedUser3821

I've started on Willows, got 4 building now, and plan to upgrade residences as soon as possible to offset the lack of population. Once I have enough pop again, I think I'm going to lose a few of those pop/culture combo event buildings...just the "not so pretty" ones. Having to keep those around just because of the pop is a pain in the keester. :mad:

DeletedUser3821

How much pop/square do they give vs your new max level res?
The Glacier Gardens are 1200/1200 and the Phoenix Cult is 1390/1050. Didn't look up the squares used, as I'm in the middle of negotiations with new recruits and updating the FS Guidelines. o_O

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Soggy .. I have been creating and re-creating elvenarcitect schematics for daaaaze .. literally. So, not yet. Your schematic helped tremendously however. I will say (to many folks' disagreements) I have each Ancient Wonder that I have built out along the way. It's a choice I get it. With all the effort of building each AW out, I truly do not want to eliminate any at this point .. but will, if I have to. I just have a TON of event buildings carrying huge amounts of pop/culture. My current culture level is 100 .. 125 with fellowship help (daily). So, no extra culture buildings. 32 residences, 10 workshops, 4 planks, 4 gems, 4 silks - no non-boosted. My greatest concerns are eliminating the event buildings (before AW's) and what buildings in Woodelves cut down on the negatives if I have to do this?

I have a town now in S&D and it got through woodelves fine with as many wonders as I could build. I am feeling the pinch now in S&D as the town also works on minimum expansions. Sadly I can't remember how many willows I did but I expect it was around 10, maybe as many as 12. I am also not too concerned if this town gets tech locked. So much comes down to how you prioritise different aspects of the game.

My town had less factories than you as I work it on 40 squares of factory space for each tier and only build enough factories to accomplish that, I may have had an extra planks in that chapter but have since dropped it for space. So in my case I would have had factories than you (guessing 2 less T3, 1 less T1 and 2 less T2) which also let me have only 8 workshops. That makes a big difference on space and supporting items.

If you know your own priorities in the game than stick to them and let the other less important stuff fit in around that. There are many different approaches to the game and it is your priorities that will make your town unique (and hopefully fun) to you.

Susan4444

Thank you Mykan .. truly appreciated your visions and keeping my priorities. At this point, my goals are to make room for minimum of 12 Willows but would like more. The advice both you and Soggy have given helped me think priorities through from different perspectives. Truly appreciate you both for your generous help.

Thistleknot

Mykan is right about the priorities. I've never truly worried about being tech-locked. Just gives me a chance to upgrade some wonders. I maybe had 8 willows when I did the woodelves. I did the sorcerers with only 12 arcane libraries. I spent a lot of time waiting on mana. I have been running 10 workshops and currently on the 4/5/5 boosted goods. I have 8 wonders at the moment. If I could figure out how to squeeze more in, I would. If you're not too stressed about racing through a guest race, then leave about 15 expansions open for the woodelves and use everything else for your city as you see fit.

One thing to do, if possible, always end cap a road with a 1x1 or 2x1 mana producer. It's not much, but every little bit helps.