• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Football Talk

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Okay, so I am a HUGE football fan. I have a question that I would like to pose.

Who truly is the GOAT? Brady or Rogers?

Oh and game picks are welcomed.

Bring on the Trash talk. I'm an Eagles fan ('tis in my DNA) so all undiluted, unadulterated opinions are welcomed and encouraged.

Smooper

I am a Viking fan so I refuse to engage with you after the thrashing you imposed upon my team.

StarLoad

Why only those two? Between only them its Brady for sure, but others are better than Rogers by far and would be a closer vote as GOAT

Ed

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
GOAT: Greatest Of All Time. The commentators always point to those two. However, I think what defines that is which makes the people around him shine, who inspires them to realize their potential, who gives them the confidence to strive for more. I think Brady does that. But then, I have never been a fan of Aaron Rogers. I don't like the comments he makes about other players, such as Farve and Brady. I don't like how he treats some fans of opposing teams. I don't like him in interviews. As much as I never liked Brady (most especially because when he was leaving NE, he didn't even glance in Philadelphia's direction), he has a note of humility when he talks about his career and his achievements. He doesn't hesitate to credit others with their role in putting him in the discussion of GOAT. Philly has never had a QB in that discussion. All their best players, like Reggie White and Fletcher Cox, Brian Dawkins, Jason Peters (cox is the only one still active) were not elevated by the QB. It's not that every QB for the birds were bad, just not trascendant.

Montana, Young, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning.... for whatever reason are never in that discussion.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
The Vikings made the Eagles look good.
Actually I think the Eagles might be pretty good this year. Based on how they look so far, I'd favor them to win the NFC East. The Commanders and Giants are bad teams, so the division really comes down to Eagles vs Cowboys. And right now the Eagles look like the better team.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
They are doing well atm, but they haven't faced the better teams in the league yet. The Commanders have a sieve for an O-Line . 9 sacks? they should go home in disgrace. That is completely unacceptable.

The Giants might be a bit better than you expect. The Cowboys are facing a dilemma. Because of Jerry Jones big mouth and making the comments he has about a QB controversy, Dak might actually feel like he has to return sooner than later to keep his job. Cooper Rush plays like a man with nothing to lose because he HAS nothing to lose. He only can gain by his success, because lord knows, there are teams out there who NEED a QB.

SanFran is now in the mix since Trey Lance went down and Jimmy G is back, who is the better QB by far. The Cards have consistency issues. The Ravens don't look great. The Titans don't look good, neither do the seahawks, nor the jags.

The teams to watch are the Bills, the Chargers, the Rams and a few dark horses like the Dolphins.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Well as someone who has been a Steeler fan since before their first Superbowl, I refuse to acknowledge anybody from new england.
And as a life long Yankee fan you can double my hatred of a particular ne city.

i will admit that guy you mentioned has a lot of accomplishments
but it really is a team sport and he had a hell of an offensive line

the problem with declaring GOATs is the game changes so much over the years.
could modern QBs play the rough and tumble games of years past?
Soul mentioned Montana who certainly is one of the all time greats
And I got to put a word in for my man Bradshaw. He is never given full credit. But the man did get four rings.
And he used to call most of his own plays.

Also. While I'm being a fan boy.
I got to put up the 70s era Steelers as one of the GTOATS ( greatest teams)
You had Bradshaw throwing to Swan and Stalworth, or handing the ball to Franco Harris
Then you had the opponents trying to handle people like Mean Joe Green, Jack Ham, and the Manical Jack Lambert.

OK sorry to filibuster but I have to tell one of my favorite "football" stories of all time.

Jack Lambert was a witness in a murder case.
Because.
There used to be a bar in P-burgh called Alexander's Graham Bell.
The hook at Alexanders is all the tables had old fashioned phones on them.
And if you saw a girl or guy you liked you would call their table.
*** I promise I'm trying to tell the short version***
So one night Jack Lambert is in there and coincentally a couple of small time wise guys.
Well the wise guys are trying to hit on some girl but Lambert steals her away.
So WG 1 decides he's not letting Jack get away with this.
He makes a plan with WG2 that they'll wait outside and when Lambert comes out they'll bust a bottle over his head then when he goes down they'll cut his Achilles tendons and end his career.
So Lambert comes out, and like a John Wayne movie WG1 busts a bottle over the back of his head.
Unfortunately these WGs weren't John Wayne fans. Because like a movie, Jack shakes of the blow, turns around and starts thrashing the living **** out of WG1.
WG2, now possibly remembering he's seen this movie, rabbits out of there.

How did this lead to a murder case you ask.
A couple days later WG1 killed WG2 for running out on him that night.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
The Cowboys are facing a dilemma. Because of Jerry Jones big mouth
I feel like this happens every year. ;) Although I live in North Carolina and as a Panthers fan I'd love to have a Dak Prescott/Cooper Rush QB controversy on our team. Either of them are much better options than Baker Mayfield/Sam Darnold. :(

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
@mucksterme I did forget about Bradshaw. He is certainly one of the greats and tough as nails. And no, he never got the recognition he deserved.

I'm really really hot to see Pickett play. Trubisky is not the QB for the Steelers. Mike Tomlin, is IMHO, one of the greatest coaches ever, but he's making a mistake sticking with Mitch. I want Kenny to go in and ball out. He is FUN to watch! He's a homeboy so he won't face the vitriol of the rabid fan base because they already LOVE him. A friend of mine was eight blocks from the Stadium when they put Pickett in preseason and he said he could hear the roar and the stadium wasn't full.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
@Henroo

I think you should consider that Mayfield is a warrior. He was taped together and he still played for the Browns. He gave everything to his team. He will do the same for the black cats because that's who he is. He needs to settle in and find his comfort zone. The Carolina's are hell and gone from Cleveland and considering he played at Texas Tech and was an Okie, he is sort of a fish out of water down there. Geography is something you have to consider. Moving from one place to another can be a culture shock. One team to another.... is also a difference in culture and Baker has been through a ton. Give him some time to acclimate.

Gath Of Baal

Who truly is the GOAT? Brady or Rogers?

As much as I dislike the guy, but it is Brady hands down, no one else is even in the conversation. There are a lot of Great players past and present but there is only 1 that needs a special arm work out just to be able to lift them with all the super bowl rings on :p

Montana, Young, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning.... for whatever reason are never in that discussion.

All Great players who are currently or will be future Hall of Famers, but again none of these guys come close to Brady's list of accomplishments

Bring on the Trash talk. I'm an Eagles fan ('tis in my DNA) so all undiluted, unadulterated opinions are welcomed and encouraged.

I have been and always will be a Washington Redskins errr Washington Football Team err Washington Commanders Fan and I carry a special place full of hate in my heart for The Cowturds followed closely by the Eagles :p Even Tho we are a terrible team now and have been for some time we still have 3 rings to your 1

Gone are the Glory days of the NFC East

I am a Viking fan so I refuse to engage with you after the thrashing you imposed upon my team.

When Kirk became a Viking, I started my Viking fandom, I had all but given up on Washington and their 30-year streak of being a losing team. and I figured the Vikings would be a good team to root for weekly that had a chance to win and take my mind of Washinton sucking every week, so I ran out and joined a bunch of Viking Forums to learn as much about the team as possible. Now I get to watch 2 teams loose almost every Sunday :D. I have all but given up on Kirk but at least we have JJ for a few more years

Henroo

Oh Wise One
1 factor about Tom Brady which does not get mentioned enough is that he never went for the big salary cap busting contract. He has never pushed for his full market value and on multiple occasions he reworked his deal to free up cap space so the Pats could sign a player. I think this is one of the big reasons he has been to so many super bowls.

The current NFL collective bargaining agreement dates to 2011. Due to several highly paid rookie busts in the early 2000s (Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell in particular) this CBA restricted the contracts of newly drafted players. Which makes QBs who are on the cheap rookie deal a tremendous value, since it frees up so much extra cap space to build the rest of the team. And most rookie deals are for 4 or 5 years. By year 3 or 4, the QB is not really a rookie anymore but they are still cheap.

Since the current CBA took effect, the highest paid QB in the league has NEVER made it to the Super Bowl. There have been numerous QBs who are on cheap rookie deals in the SB: Kaepernick, Russell Wilson (twice), Mahones (twice), Jarod Goff, Joe Burrow, Carson Wentz, and Cam Newton. And veteran QBs like Brady or Jimmy Garappolo who are not on big contracts make it. For that matter, Peyton Manning went to 2 super bowls with the Broncos and his contract there did not break the bank. However the high dollar, big contract "franchise QB" that analysts on ESPN love to rave about *NEVER* makes the big game.

Last edited:

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
@Gath Of Baal

I understand and accept your hate. You have a QB who was the main reason that the Eagles won. Foles took over on a team that had already caught the magic.

The main thing I saw as I watched that game is that the O Line seemed to be out to lunch. They allowed 9 sacks. Wentz, nor any other QB can operate with the entire line taking a knee. If they can fix that issue, their defense isn't bad. In fact, their defense could be one of the best in the league if it wasn't on the field so long.

The Vikings are sadly just a middle of the road team. Since the double doink, they seem a bit cursed by Loki. They need a little boost. Kirk Cousins is NFL average. He doesn't have that certain something that just sparks it on the field, so they will have to grind out every win. However JJ is pretty special, so when those two start connecting in that magnetic way that players can, they will start to climb out of the hole.

It's all about connectivity.

Smooper

@Gath Of Baal I feel the Vikes have a good chance of winning the central. I think 10-6 is about what they should end up. They don't compare with the elite of the NFC (Eagles, Rams) but they can compete with the second tier. Cousins won't do it in primetime so we have no chance of any big wins.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Gath Of Baal I feel the Vikes have a good chance of winning the central. I think 10-6 is about what they should end up.
17 game season now. So they would be 11-6 or 10-7. But I am not sure if that will be enough to beat the Packers. Aaron Rodgers normally does a great job in the regular season and leads the Packers to a great record. Then he chokes like a dog in the playoffs.

Smooper

@Henroo We have won the division more than a couple times since Erin became the QB. This is not a good year for them, I think. He is hoggin up a lot of their salary cap. He is great, the rest of the team is beatable.

StarLoad

Honestly, IMO Montana and Bradshaw over Brady, but that stems from seeing them play and the way they acted off the field and off-season.
I am biased against Brady after being in a restaurant when he came in and how he treated a few kids who politely asked him to sign their shirts.
If you don't want the attention, then don't go out in public.

Ed

gwynyth

I've been a Lions fan my whole life and the season always ends before it begins. Though they did win the championship in 1957, pre-Superbowl, of course. All die hard fans have hope, no matter how bad it gets.