• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Frustrated.

DeletedUser6369

I don't remember when I started playing this but I recently picked it back up and I'm starting to realize why I went away from it.

I'm mostly interested in the fights and it seems that I'm stuck just waiting and waiting so I can get new soldiers. I have yet to get anything more than Cerebus, Archer, Sword Dancer, and Treant. And I've "defeated" every possible province with these soldiers.

I'm frustrated and just curious about what point did you guys finally get to really start building your army? The rest of this game reminds me mostly of Farmville-esque games. lol.

DeletedUser9601

I also enjoy fighting, but I feel like I didn't really hit the "fighting groove" until I found a fellowship, and could participate in tournaments. If your only fighting is the Province Encounters, you won't be satisfied. The Provinces are structured to be either 1. very difficult if you do them quickly, or 2. very slow if you proceed at the expected pace. So your point is exactly right: you spend all day building an army, then you lose some of it in the province, and then you rebuild.

In tournaments, though, you mostly only use a small portion of your army (at least in earlier rounds). So you need to spend less time building. If you are able to build a military Ancient Wonder, like a Martial Monastery, you can then also funnel the KPs you win in tournaments into your Wonder (which makes you even better at fighitng).

At its core, the game is closer to Farmville than it is to a Warhammer hex/grid fighting game. The fighting is the icing on the Elvenar cake; the game is never going to get away from city-building as the cake. But its definitely possible to mitigate some of your frustration, and still enjoy fighting, while doing some of the city-building. Especially if you find an FS that encourages tournament play from its members.

DeletedUser6369

I also enjoy fighting, but I feel like I didn't really hit the "fighting groove" until I found a fellowship, and could participate in tournaments. If your only fighting is the Province Encounters, you won't be satisfied. The Provinces are structured to be either 1. very difficult if you do them quickly, or 2. very slow if you proceed at the expected pace. So your point is exactly right: you spend all day building an army, then you lose some of it in the province, and then you rebuild.

In tournaments, though, you mostly only use a small portion of your army (at least in earlier rounds). So you need to spend less time building. If you are able to build a military Ancient Wonder, like a Martial Monastery, you can then also funnel the KPs you win in tournaments into your Wonder (which makes you even better at fighitng).

At its core, the game is closer to Farmville than it is to a Warhammer hex/grid fighting game. The fighting is the icing on the Elvenar cake; the game is never going to get away from city-building as the cake. But its definitely possible to mitigate some of your frustration, and still enjoy fighting, while doing some of the city-building. Especially if you find an FS that encourages tournament play from its members.

I have yet to find a fellowship that I could join. So I just created my own "empty" fellowship so I could satisfy the initial goal for joining one.

I'll try to focus more on fellowship tournaments then if it's going to be better for fighting.

Or I'll just accept that I can't find a Warhammer type game via online. lol. I do have Age of Wonders 3 (turn based strategy) downloaded on my computer and only came to Elevnar since it was accessible via web browser rather than download on ONE computer. (So I could play at work. lol.)

Thanks for an honest reply and not something jerk-ish!! I was worried someone was gonna hate me cause I posted I was frustrated. D: lol.

DeletedUser9601

Yeah, definitely find a Fellowship. Most aren't going to have very strict requirements to enter, and most will love someone active in Tournaments (because your tournament success leads to rewards for Fellowship members).

Unfortunately, much of the fighting doesn't really progress past rock-paper-scissors (send my archers to beat these mages; send my mages to beat these heavy melee; send my heavy melee to beat these light melee, etc.), and some of the cooler units aren't available until the later chapters (which require either spending significant money or playing a lot.

But I stay engaged between building military wonders and seeing how well I can do in tournaments.

(So I could play at work. lol.)
Honestly, its the same reason I'm here :). In a perfect world, I could download Medieval Total War or something, but IT isn't going to allow that. If your IT software allows it, I'd check out HighGrounds and MonsterHunter. Those were 2 fun browser games that I enjoyed at my old job. HighGrounds is somewhat real-time, but its more of a deck-building/lane game. MonsterHunter is a cross of DnD, deck-building, and strategy. Neither have the city-building aspect, though.

DeletedUser6369

Honestly, its the same reason I'm here :). In a perfect world, I could download Medieval Total War or something, but IT isn't going to allow that. If your IT software allows it, I'd check out HighGrounds and MonsterHunter. Those were 2 fun browser games that I enjoyed at my old job. HighGrounds is somewhat real-time, but its more of a deck-building/lane game. MonsterHunter is a cross of DnD, deck-building, and strategy. Neither have the city-building aspect, though.

I was just looking up MonsterHunter and I'm not seeing anything other than an Asia-released browser game and then a pre-order of a game coming out. And I can't find Highgrounds on a trustable site. SHOOT. Stuck with Elvenar then, I guess, for browser games. :'(

Do you play the other Total Wars as well or just specifically Medieval?

See, one of my jobs I can play browser games specifically. My OTHER job is at home and I can have my own personal computer next to my work computer. So I'm also looking for some new stuff to play at the at home job. I've never purchased any of the Total Wars and wondering if I should look into those as well.

DeletedUser9601

I only played the older Total War games: Rome, Rome II, Medieval I, Medieval II. I really liked them. They're pretty old at this point, but on the plus side, they're like $5 on Steam. I actually didn't like Empire Total War.
Also, apologies. Its not Monster Hunter. Its "Card Hunter."

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
Hello quasar7,

What chapter are you in out of curiosity? You must realize Elvenar is a patience game, strategist at times but patience non-the less. As you progress in the game, you will be granted the ability to upgrade your fighters, build better fighting buildings to gain access to even better fighters. Also, depending on if you are an elf or a human, your experience can even be shifted and make fighting even more interesting.

If you are interested in the fighting aspect of the game, I will suggest reading around some more and checkout the different threads around the forum. There is a battle section where you can go converse with your fellow fighters. As stated by Tedious, joining a fellowship will truly change your experience. You can also start of by joining a small fellowship to grow your city and improve yourself as a player. And then, you can begin searching for fellowships who seeks players who love tournaments. A trend I have seen in the different worlds is that most of the top 10 fellows loves tournaments because they love to complete the 10 chests during every tournament week to gain blueprints. Some do it for the sheer excitement of fighting, some for the many rewards it gives beside blueprints, and some for simple bragging rights.

To get into fellowships like that, you must prove yourself worthy of their rank, most defines that worth through your minimal point achieved throughout the game or through your minimal tournament point on a weekly basis, or even both (along with your boosted goods of course).

You should not give up! If you truly want to focus on the fighting side of this game, it is quite possible. Just remember, a well establish city will fare better!

P.S. I will not fully agree that the fight is all rock paper scissor...as you begin to open the 20th province in tournaments and reach the three stars and four stars, for a true fighter they would love to manually fight those battles to gain the upper hands and win battles otherwise loss during auto-fights :p

Risen Malchiah

@quasar7 I also hoped for more combat than Elvenar tends to give, so what helped me while in the early chapters was to revisit the Heroes of Might & Magic games while waiting for building upgrades and troop production in Elvenar. :) I know this doesn't satisfy your browser game fix, but HoMM will easily suck away hours of time. I once played for abour 16 hrs before I realized I was VERY hungry and had to pee soo bad, I couldnt decide which to do first.

The Unbeliever

You could always try out Forge of Empires?
Yeah the fighting isn't super challenging, but between the weekly Guild Expeditions, and being able to attack all your neighbours once/day, you can get a lot more of your 'fighting fix', and with somewhat more strategy than Elvenar offers.

It still takes a while to really get your military growing, (ie: you ideally *need* a high level Alcatraz GB for the additional 'free' troops, a Rogue's Hideout to best compliment 'Traz, plus military boosting great buildings like Zeus/Castel del Monte, etc...)
Once it is at a self sustaining point, (which can happen even as early as Iron/Early Middle Ages - just find a good guild), you can comfortably fight routinely every single day, without spending hours & hours rebuilding your entire army after just a couple fights.

The only other potentially 'bad' side of FoE, is that players can choose to plunder a building if they successfully attack a neighbour's city.
There's plenty of ways to prevent plundering from being a problem, and if you choose to plunder other players, it's likely that some special little snowflake will get angry & whine about it at some point. :p

Basically, FoE is the true 'wargame' version of Elvenar.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
You are at the current point where provincial fights are crazy hard and you lack all the troop types to help, so you will remain frustrated in provinces until you can push past that point. As Tedious mentioned tournaments are the solution, with fixed difficulties per round and 5% of your squad size per round it is far more balance. I have a town that has being actively chasing tournaments since at or before where you are. It is a bit trickier in those early chapters as you lack the key units for many provinces but are still capable of doing very well with tactics.

Your biggest handicap in tournaments at your level is you will only have a handful of tournament provinces for a while. As you expand this opens up considerably to the 20+ that was mentioned above.

Read up on some guides about tournaments and Investigate the Squad size tech impact on tournaments, if you plan to actively do these so you can make an informed choice for your strategy. I would expect with a strong tournament focus you should not find it hard getting into a fellowship, ideally you want one that likes to do tournaments so you can gain a better group reward.