• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Help Gems of Knowledge link for Orcs & Goblins gives an error message

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
I am unable to connect to the website: I get an error message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Error code: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

@Lelanya Please Advise.

Last edited:

Myne

Oh Wise One
I have better luck by directly entering the website and using the links to the various parts at the top of the page.
It was my understanding that the owner of that site was on temporary leave from it. I don't think their definition of temporary and mine align very well. But by cracky she sure gets the money from the ads. Methinks it's time she either produces or sells, especially if its saturated with ads as it is.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
the url is whack.
I don't think that's the issue this time. I typed elvengems.com into the browser, chose guest races, then O&G and still got 'this site cannot be reached'. Also tried the Dwarves button and got the same error. The odd thing was I think those buttons took me to gamersgems. On the error page, the url was gamersgems and the msg itself said:
"www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com unexpectedly closed the connection."

My information is slightly different @Myne. I believe the owner of that site retired from the site and the game quite some time ago. They were willing to leave it available (with ads). They indicated they were only willing to do so as long as the ads paid for the site. They gave @Lelanya the ability to do some stuff, but afaik, she is a volunteer . She has said before that there are skills needed for maintaining/updating the site that she doesn't have. Plus, she's only one person, and events/FA's are coming so quickly; she kept up with those as long as she could. She's the only hope we have of getting this latest problem fixed. The loss of those guest race guides would be a shame, even if they're not totally up to date. I figure at some point, something major will break, she's not going to be able to fix it and that will be that.
Note: I could be wrong about all this; it's not like I have any direct knowledge. It's just my overall impression from things that have been posted.

defiantoneks

I don't think that's the issue this time. I typed elvengems.com into the browser, chose guest races, then O&G and still got 'this site cannot be reached'. Also tried the Dwarves button and got the same error. The odd thing was I think those buttons took me to gamersgems. On the error page, the url was gamersgems and the msg itself said:

yep. all the "old" chapters. past halflings, they still work. so something from when it transitioned.

Myne

Oh Wise One
"www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com unexpectedly closed the connection."

My information is slightly different @Myne. I believe the owner of that site retired from the site and the game quite some time ago. They were willing to leave it available (with ads). They indicated they were only willing to do so as long as the ads paid for the site. They gave @Lelanya the ability to do some stuff, but afaik, she is a volunteer . She has said before that there are skills needed for maintaining/updating the site that she doesn't have. Plus, she's only one person, and events/FA's are coming so quickly; she kept up with those as long as she could. She's the only hope we have of getting this latest problem fixed. The loss of those guest race guides would be a shame, even if they're not totally up to date. I figure at some point, something major will break, she's not going to be able to fix it and that will be that.
Note: I could be wrong about all this; it's not like I have any direct knowledge. It's just my overall impression from things that have been posted.
Thanks for correcting me! Good to know.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
So the older chapters originally linked to the Wix site. All the files have been uploaded to the new one, but now for some reason it's redirecting to the old one, which has been stripped. Some plug in update has created an issue with this, sorry.

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
So the older chapters originally linked to the Wix site. All the files have been uploaded to the new one, but now for some reason it's redirecting to the old one, which has been stripped. Some plug in update has created an issue with this, sorry.
Hey @Lelanya Any update on the ElvenGems Orc and Goblins Guide mage?

elvenbee

Well, that explains a lot because I reached out at the end of 2022 to see if I could help with the website, I didn't hear anything back /:

It's barely legible now anyway. The white font scrolling over a pale background makes what should be useful very hard to read, and therefore use.

defiantoneks

i wonder if there's anyway to save out the info and hand it off to someone with a live site. iDavis has good info, but doesnt have the city layout suggestions or general tips for getting through chapters. unless i havent spent enough time there, of course.

Wolfbyte Oriki

I've been using the Internet Archive to open the missing pages. I just get the original link address from Google and then load it in there and it pulls up the last archived webpage. Works ok for now while the website itself gets sorted. You do have to either know the original webpage address or be able to guess it (not hard, it seems a relatively consistent naming convention) though.

theuser

Some starting URLs for elvengems.com on Internet Archive

Site map for elvengems at Internet Archive
Site map for gamersgemsofknowledge at Internet Archive
Link to Guest Race Guides with cross-domain links that work.
Link to Chapter Quest lists

The sitemap wheel works as follows:
The initial page is at the center, innermost ring.
Each linked page from there is in the next outer ring, sorted (roughly) alphabetically clockwise by page name.
Links from those pages from a third outer ring, etc. A gap/wedge will appear in the third and higher rings when a page has no links but some other pages do have links.

When you pick a page from the wheel. you can navigate as usual within the same domain.
Internet Archive is not very good with frames and may not correctly follow cross-domain links so you should keep the sitemap handy.