• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Guide: The Benefits of the Spiral Design

Spiral.png

1. INTRODUCTION

This is an edited down version of an old guide which was written sometime before the Halflings chapter was added. After many years of experience I can confirm that the Spiral is very effective in the first 8 chapters of the game. Once you hit Woodelves, when culture buildings require road connections for mana production, it arguably becomes even more effective (and that's when the roads actually start to look like spirals). Whether you're a beginner or intermediate player looking for ways to produce more goods, supplies and coins, or you're a top player looking to maximize your number of buildings to climb the rankings, this guide is worth reading.

The premise for this guide is that as long as your streets offer less culture than your buildings, you should want to minimize the number of street tiles in your city by maximizing the use of each street tile.

2. BASIC GUIDELINES

These are very general, and not specific to the Spiral Design, but they will inevitably lead to some sort of spiral when followed closely.

a) Place the narrow end of buildings facing the street.
b) Avoid junctions; keep your roads long and straight until you hit a corner. Use both sides of the road for buildings.
c) Larger buildings are often good for outside corners, e.g. some Ancient Wonders and the Barracks.
d) Place buildings that don't require road connections at the center of your city.
e) Place your biggest building(s) at the end of the road(s).
f) The Main Hall almost always sits on the edge, and often in a corner.
g) It usually makes sense to expand your city in a perfect square. Sometimes a rectangle is preferable. Avoid expanding very narrowly.

3. PRACTICAL EXAMPLES

Early Game Demo:

Here's my current city on Ceravyn. I'm near the end of the third chapter, having just unlocked my Tier 3 Manufactories. I've just reached a perfect square (5x5) for the first time, but since I know what I'm doing I'm planning to expand southwards into a rectangle (5x8 at least), since the residences as well as most of my boosted manufactories in the next 6-7 chapters are West-East, recquiring my longest streets to go North-South. In-game I mostly use event buildings for culture, but I've replaced them with regular culture buildings for the sake of this demo. I kept the Ferris Wheel and Carting Library in, since they're integral to my build.

Screenshot_817.png

As you can see I've gone for a double spiral (well, either road is only a spiral by hypothetical expansion, but still: you can see the start of two spirals if you really try). The big space-savers are my Magic Academy (using 1 tile) and my Barracks (using 2). My two southernmost residences waste a tile of road each, but all the other buildings are placed efficiently. It doesn't look great with the string of small culture buildings along the southern edge, but these will be moved or replaced as I expand southward very shortly. Since I don't have many Wonders yet, I've used a 3x3 culture building as well as my 2x3 Builders' Hut as corner fillers. You will often have to make compromises as your city continuously grows.

Late Game Demo:

I picked an arbitrary top player's city. I didn't want to spend hours on it, so my demo isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However, the benefits are plain to see.

Original City:

Screenshot_818.png
Screenshot_819.png

The Result:

Screenshot_821.png
Screenshot_820.png

We managed to turn 91 street tiles into empty tiles. And we "defragmented" the empty tiles so that they're easier to fill with more Guest Race buildings, Fellowship Adventure production or just more residences, manufactories and workshops.

I didn't check exactly which of their event buildings needed road connections, but if I made any mistakes that's a small detail and irrelevant to the guide. The general principles are what's important.

4. CLOSING WORDS

In both of my examples I went for a "double spiral" (although one of the "spirals" was always just a straight road). In a perfect world, a single road (or a single spiral) is the most efficient because the Main Hall is then only in contact with a single street tile. However, road ends are very useful as well - either at the cost of an extra Main Hall road connection or at the cost of a T-junction. It's a give and take situation. However the point remains that a single road (without junctions) is theoretically the most efficient use of space, assuming that all the buildings fit nicely around it.

You should note that using such a space-efficient way of building your city also comes at the cost of flexibility. While your city is going to produce more than others of the same size, it's a high maintenance style of play. You'll have to do major redesigns very often as your buildings change dimensions, often once or twice per chapter. But if you enjoy puzzles, that's really just a bonus.

Thanks for reading, I hope this guide can be useful to you.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
The double spiral design was introduced on the International Forum by a friend of mine, Jimlun. We opened a new realm together, Jim was a good player and a great fellow. ❤
Your example looks good, for a couple of exceptions.

Most players if they did a big rearrange would want their boost +1 all together, and their boosts in one run, so resets go: swipe, finger on 1/2 for standard boost, finger on 3/4 for +1. Also we want the +1 easy to enspell with MMs, and preferably no spill over to standard factories.

Second the Moonstone Library set is no longer in set configuration, and not maximizing its set bonuses.

Last edited:

Gladiola

In my experience, for very small cities (up to at least 16-20 expansions) a spiral design is not practical and a fork design works better, so through chapter 2-3 anyway. I've tried spiral and fork designs, and the fork always worked better. There is not enough space in the center of the city to compensate for the disadvantage of the roads turning corners, and the "large" buildings take up a much higher percentage of the space.

See for example this chapter 2 layout
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/b41e2626b80a4ffdab4798ff6e42acc3/

Or this city in chapter 4 with different boosts
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/9a6765cf65b540c2b33b85eb4dd44f46/

You could see the beginnings of a spiral design in this fully functional chapter 1 city with just 7 total expansions, but it could just as easily be interpreted as a fork design.
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/45e7d40146c74e21b3681755b8b33100/

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Having the Mainhall in the corner wastes a fair bit of its utility. It can act as a road in all directions so with clever barracks/wonder placement "behind" it you can often get 3 very large buildings supplied by the same single piece of road.

Side note:
Years ago I thought it would be great if elven architect had a feature that showed "road score" but it's not something I ever followed up on.
Basically, it would take all buildings that require a road, measure the short sides, divide by 2 and that would be your base. Then an efficiency rating would be given using that base/roads placed.

Last edited:

Gladiola

@aWizardOfManyColors in taking a look at my chapter 4 city design and your chapter 3 design, my city achieves much of the same production capacity (36 squares marble, 36 squares crystal, 16 squares elixir) as does your city (30 squares marble, 27 squares crystal, 24 squares gems). It's hard to compare production directly for human vs. elven cities, but squares occupied can be a proxy. It does not have a training grounds and has less workshop capacity. However, my city has a footprint of 20 expansions vs. 26 for your city. You might be able to achieve some space efficiencies with tech unlocked in chapter 4.

You all bring up great points!

@Gladiola I do agree that in the very early game, sticking to the guidelines religiously can be quite wasteful. And let's be honest, the game allows for a lot of leisure when it comes to efficiency in the early game with the real bottlenecks being the Research Tree (continuously) and the Map Progress (later on). The overpowered event buildings make it even easier; one's city design is more or less irrelevant early on. (This is a very cop-out sort of answer, admittedly, but I think it's true.)

@SoggyShorts Before I nit-pick and go on the defensive, I'll just say that I fully agree and your road score idea is terrific. I initially had a lot more text about the Main Hall, being aware of the possibilities you mention. Having seen how the original thread derailed into mindless drivel (to some extent), I tried to keep this guide as simple and to the point as I could. My wording ("almost always at the edge", with "often in a corner" being a subset of edge placement) was deliberately leaving the option of placing it somewhere else open. Corner placement is a somewhat lazy approach (often at the cost of a few tiles) but it's also the simplest way to start employing my guidelines on the whole, and it can be practical to have it stationary with all the other moving parts to mind. Thank you for raising the point and adding to the guide!

@Lelanya I'm sure your response would make him very happy. ;) And you raise a valid point about building types/clusters; my demonstration was whipped together quite hastily just to provide an image of larger scale than my own city could provide.

I'm definitely open to revising the guide to be more concise and cover all the relevant aspects, even if it means abolishing the name. I suppose the place to start is the Basic Guidelines: are there any points that should be amended, or merged into one? Could the wording be clearer or more efficient? (Or perhaps there's a better guide out there already; I haven't spent any time searching for one.) At any rate, I'm thrilled by the feedback so far.

Gladiola

I don't think item d makes sense in very small cities. In general it is a good idea because it extends the length of usable roads. However, very small cities often don't have space to have a usable perimeter area and in those cases the cities that don't require road connections may be more effectively sequestered on one edge of the city.

When cities are very new, the difference between big and small buildings is much greater. A main hall has 36 squares (or 42 for humans), whereas a marble manufactory has 2 squares -- an 18 to 1 ratio. Placing large buildings at the edge in that scenario drastically reduces road usage. Later on when most buildngs are at least 3x3 and few are bigger than 8x8, the difference is not as drastic and more flexibility may be possible.

In very small cities I find that placing the large buildings along two of the four sides (if a rectangle, along the shorter sides) is the most efficient use of space. It is often useful to place large buildings of slightly different sizes adjacent to each other so that they can share the same single-square road connection, for added efficiency.

I have not made a formal or informal study of topology, but it seems to me that principles found in that discipline can be applied to those problems. Basically the problem is that there is a set of shapes that must be joined to another shape by a continuous line (or set of lines). The goal is to maximize the number and/or area of shapes contained in the space and minimize the length of the lines.

NightshadeCS

@SoggyShorts pointed out to me quite a while ago the utility of putting AWs behind the Main Hall. They never change size or shape, so there is rarely a need to move that chunk in the corner unless your MH itself changes size, and even then it sometimes still works out to simply adjust things on the other two sides. It definitely eliminates roads, which I try to maximize as much as possible.

An additional point to think about is the change that cities undergo once mana and seeds are introduced. One needs more road to facilitate those buildings, and several of the most efficient of those buildings are small 1x2 or 2x2 buildings. My strategy is then to keep a fork/comb design, and use corners as mana lanes. Large buildings will have the short side on a road, but move the long side 2 squares over and line that edge with small mana or seed buildings.

Here is an example of both in my Chapter XVII city. I know there are some inefficiencies, but that is due to some other factors and should be ignored (on pain of death!!! ;););)).

Aren ChXVII City Layout.jpg