• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How do you maneuver squads in battles?

DeletedUser2961

I finally had my first battle & won (WOOHOO) but I don't know how I managed to do that. I've been reading about how to battle, placement etc but am still learning. I've also watched several videos but they're more about strategy than maneuvering and they just click away to move squads without expaination.

The problems I had in battle were when I'd try to move a squad the squad I wanted to move didn't move, a different squad would move and they'd never move where I wanted them to go. I understand how many hexes the different squads & units could move I just can't get them to go where I want them to. Also how do I aim my archers? I see the little arrow circle thingy when I click the archer and did have several successful hits, but I don't know if that was just luck. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated :)

DeletedUser1349

the #1 key to battles is never let the ai move your squads. do not click on the enemy. 2 clicks not one! click where you want your squad to move, then click to attack. it is also best to move your squad behind the enemy, then attack. this keeps the front clear for more of your squads to attack. avoid bottlenecks at all cost!

DeletedUser594

You can move in a couple of ways.
1. click any yellow highlighted hex and your currently active unti will move there
if no enemy in range turn will end
2.If you are moving a unit to attack an enemy in range you have options. You can move and pick any hex just like in example 1, but instead of ending turn youy can scroll onto the enemy, icon will tturn into a bow and arrow, click to attack
2a. if enemy is in range you can scroll on enemy from where you are ,click attack icon, let the AI move you nto an attack position and strike.

To end a turn you can click the litte man +arrow icon or just click the spot you are currently on 2x.
Here's a pic- hope this helps.
Happy gaming!
s4m3o6.jpg

DeletedUser2961

Thanks that's what I needed to know I was doing it all wrong, it would've helped had they included that info on the Wiki site. When you said "you can scroll onto the enemy" do I do that by moving cursor onto the squad I want to attack? I did actually do that in my first battle but I had no idea what the arrow meant or how it got there. What's "AI" attack icon? What position does it pick, who will be attacked?

Someone else replied to my question and said NOT to let AI move my squads and I shouldn't click on the enemy, any idea why doing either would be a bad idea?

DeletedUser2961

the #1 key to battles is never let the ai move your squads. do not click on the enemy. 2 clicks not one!
Thanks for your reply :) Why should I never let the AI (what is that) move my squads, why shouldn't I click on the enemy & what do you mean by 2 clicks not one, 2 clicks on what and what's the outcome of clicking twice? Another person who replied said those are viable options.

DeletedUser61

• If you leave the battle up to the combat engine, the leftmost unit on the initiative bar, at the bottom of the page, will attack the leftmost of the enemy units, if they can be reached.
  • Some folks are manual purists.
    • If you click on the opposing unit the Artificial Intelligence Combat Engine (AI) will take the shortest path that will get it PAST the unit (to open up the field for other units) and will then attack.
    • If you first place your unit, THEN attack, you may well be in a more advantageous position for subsequent moves.
    • Mage curses are the most obvious example, because the combat engine will stack curses, and lose all but the first curse.
  • My preference is to actually turn the fight over to the combat engine early on, so that combat is a logistics puzzle rather than a twitch minigame.

DeletedUser2961

So if I use AI are the battles fought for me, I won't have to maneuver I just watch?

DeletedUser61

Or you can click Finish the Battle, at the top of the screen, and jump straight to the results screen, when you already know what's going to happen.

DeletedUser594

If the fight is just going to be a brawl where you send 5 of the same units and just expect to clash in the field until one side is finished then that AI is just fine. If the fight requires some tactical thinking and making good use of the different units abilities then you need to manual fight or risk heavy losses or defeat. As a general rule of thumb if you are sending 5 of the same unit- say 5 Treants, you can probably auto fight safely.
You cannot auto in the case of sorceress vs golem- the starkest contrast in the game between auto/manual- 5 sorceress could beat and army of 5 golum without losing a single health point- just go through and ding every golem with a spell and they cannot hurt you. The AI will take 5 consecutive shots at one golem, leaving four uncursed and able to damage you and you will lose.
For early play and learning purposes it's really good to get to know the fighting by manual play and then you can discern when auto will handle the job or not.

DeletedUser3024

Couple of questions. I just started doing my own battles as opposed to Auto Fight. But I'm at a loss to know the range of the archers, crossbowmen and whatever it is that the big ugly ogre types throw. I've tried researching it in the Wiki site, but no luck so far.

DeletedUser2961

I've only fought manually because I didn't know about Auto, how do I activate auto play? I took the tips & advice given (that I remembered lol) as far as how to move my troops & such and got my butt kicked, I ended up surrendering and haven't battled since. Again my units wouldn't move where I wanted them to or the one I wanted to move didn't move and a different one moved instead :mad: Obviously I don't know what I'm doing which is frustrating because I'm tired of wasting all my goods on negotiations. There's quite a bit to learn about it like what the skills are of the various units, that's one reason I got my butt kick because some big ogre types of things were beating me up. I've read about the different units but it's hard to remember it all.

I guess I'll try again until I figure it out but it's scary & frustrating but I want/need to get it down.

DeletedUser594

To know the order of who goes first to last amongst your troops is simple: just look at the order they are listed in your barracks or army set up page.
Sword>archer>treant>golum>sorceress that's their order they will take turns on the battle field.

What if you have two or more of the same?
Then look at the placement chart and the #of the position 1-5. (seen in frost's post)

The first troop picked goes dead center in the #1 slot then your next pick goes to their left(#2), next right(#3), left(#4), right(#5)
or from your perspective looking at the screen it goes center, up, down,up, down
you could say #1dead center, evens up, odds down

Your troops will go in this order: Sword>archer>treant>golum>sorceress, in the case of doubled troops it's the one you placed first, which will be in corresponding spot on the field.
2ecfzpc.jpg

To make moving simple just wait until your troop gets highlighted, click the square you want to move to (if its lit up in yellow you can move there), click the enemy you want to attack, if no attack click self to end turn.
Here is a simple unit vs unit chart--simply based on how I use the troops-- others will have different preferences but if you use this it will work enough of the time that you will win more than you lose. This does not include human x elven as seen in tournaments.This is for Manual fights and not auto.
rrnvp5.jpg
This is a simplified chart taken from wiki and pared down to show initiative (higher initiative go before lower) and attack bonus:
2a5hp1t.jpg
Quick summary:
1.scout area to decide where you want troops
2. place troop using the center left right rule
Some tips:
Scroll over enemy to see attack range in red.
Stay back to avoid hit but in range to counter whenever possible
Avoid like plague: Dogs vs your Archers, Golum/Archers vs your Treant
Take out Mortar and Necromancers ASAP
A sword will work to draw enemy fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2961

Thanks so much for your reply Frost & all the tips, I apologize for my late response I've been having issues with my router & if that wasn't acting up my internet connection was but I got a new router so I should be good now :)

Can I switch between auto & manual? Like if I'm playing manual can I switch to auto or vice versa? My biggest problem (besides conflicting advice) is moving my units, I've had great advice about how to do it & tried it but they have minds of their own and move where they want and sometimes an entirely different unit moves instead of the one I want to move. Varron gave me some new tips so I'll try it out again.

Which is best manual or auto, does one have more wins?
To make moving simple just wait until your troop gets highlighted, click the square you want to move to
Varron you're a godsend! This is exactly what I was needing, I didn't know about clicking the enemy I want to attack or how to end my turn that's why I was having so many problems moving my troops & attacking. Someone told me to double click on what I wasn't sure :/ "Evens up odds down" easy to remember & the unit vs unit chart is SO helpful. I've been so intimidated by the looks of some of the enemies that that alone made me not want to fight lol. You've given me some confidence hopefully that will play out as a victory in battle, I can't thank you enough for all your help :)

I have a question about the archer, when I want to shoot an arrow do I click the enemy I want to hit? I had a lot of troubles with this, an arrow would appear but I didn't know how to aim it or shoot it.

Ps I apologize for my delayed response I was having router & internet connection troubles. I got a new router so, fingers crosses, I won't have any further issues.

UPDATE: Varron if I could I'd kiss you ;) lol 7 battles fought and 7 battles WON!!! In all those battles I only lost one archer unit (due to lack of planning and not understanding how & when the enemy attacks) & two sword units. That brings me to a few questions. Bear with me because I'm not sure how to explain this, after moving a unit or 2 who can't attack I'd click on it to end that turn wanting to move another unit but the enemy would attack with all 3-5 units. How many of my units can I move in one turn & how do I move a couple and continue moving them without getting attacked before I have all 5 units in position? I thought that if I moved one but couldn't attack I'd click on the one I just moved to end that turn and then click on another to move it, that's what I did but it began the attack.
Missanthropy merged stacked posts and tidied up a quote.

DeletedUser43

Moved this post to the thread posted by Katwijk. I think it is best if we put all battle tactics in one thread.