• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I HATE HTML5!!!

Rocce Sqirl

I DON'T LIKE THIS NEW HTML5! Now every time I want to view someone else's city -- like when doing help rounds -- I have to wait for that damn time bar to fill. Yeah, it only takes about 3 seconds, but multiply that by 25-50 times or more doing neighborly help rounds and it becomes a major aggravation.

Also, when I am writing something in chat, when I tap the arrow keys when holding CTRL down the function of skipping along a word at a time no longer works. On the other hand there's a new feature of when I go back to the beginning of what I wrote it now automatically scrolls forward and I can't stop it to fix errors.

Rocce Sqirl

Didn't mean to post this twice. I'd delete this one if I knew how. Please reply on the other one if you wish to do so.

NightshadeCS

I am mystefied by the problems folks are having with HTML5. I found it a very smooth transition and did not experience any significant increase in load times. As with everything technological, much may depend on the hardware and other software employed, as well as upload and download speeds of your ISP.

I second what others have said. The days of Flash are numbered (and things have been heading this way for a long time, internet-wide).

I feel really bad for anyone who has had a terrible experience making the change, as internet problems will drive me into a red-faced fury faster than almost anything else. :mad::mad::mad::p Hopefully you all can find some fixes for what is irking you, or else time may smooth out the awareness of such.

Vergazi

I think HTML5 problems are confined to those of us with low end or old computers. In my case I also suffer from low memory. And yes I know very well how to get more and install it, just can't afford it now currently with my situation in life. To the main point - when I turned on HTML5 it ran all herky-jerky like visual spasms and the ground around the buildings when i moused over them has "splashes" of pale, yellow color smears attached to them on the "ground", spreading outward from the base of the buildings to the south-east in all cases. Each weird, bizarre graphical artifact thing was unique to each building I moused over. It goes without saying I went back to Flash and this problem is why I will probably leave the game when Flash goes away.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I think HTML5 problems are confined to those of us with low end or old computers.
They are not so confined. I just find fewer/different annoyances with HTML5 than Flash, and I understand they are fighting a deadline, so I don't complain about it much

shimmerfly

@Vergazi You are not allowed to leave when flash goes kerplunk!

I play on an old laptop and live in an remote area where ISP servers are not the best.
I can play on HTML5 but the jerkiness and delays are a pain. Not all of us can afford to run out and buy the latest equipment.

@Rocce Sqirl Watching that bar filling is maddening!

NightshadeCS

@Vergazi
I can play on HTML5 but the jerkiness and delays are a pain. Not all of us can afford to run out and buy the latest equipment.

No hardware shaming here at all! I don't have fancy equipment, though it is rather up-to-date. I work from home, so my business provides me with a workable machine. I am terribly concerned that HTML5 requires so much more processing power (or whatever the issue is) that it makes things so unworkable.

Do any computer gurus know why this is, or if it's just a case of transition?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Do any computer gurus know why this is, or if it's just a case of transition?
It is transition. HTML5 has existed for more than a decade, and the last big update was 5 years ago. The vast majority of the internet is using HTML5 compatible pages already. The updated standards about 5 years ago allowed it to do a bunch of stuff that earlier version of HTML couldn't, so it finally became possible for browsers to do the stuff that Flash was designed for, without bolting Flash onto them. At that time, most browser manufacturers made it clear that Flash was heading for it's best before date. If Inno had started the conversion a couple of years sooner, it would probably be much more smooth than it is now, on almost all but really old machines.

Last edited: