• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I think I was hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel Greensleeves

Hacked as in "someone outside my household accessed my account." My husband and I both play cities under the name Ariel G. Until recently, it was just my city on Ceravyn (untouched). My husband started his own city in Sinya Arda about a month ago. Last night, after he had logged off the game and possibly even after he SHUT DOWN the computer, a hacker put in 1 new workshop, deleted a bunch of residences, the training ground, and a workshop, then upgraded one building using RR. They did not use up diamonds (thank goodness)! I contacted Inno, and they claim that it was not a bug. And maybe it had nothing to do with the movements and whatever that they do on Monday mornings (way before we woke up in the USA, presumably). Their answer implies that I somehow sold 15 buildings "accidentally". For the record, I have played almost 4 years and never ever sold even 1 building by accident.

"We understand your frustration, but we can assure you that this was not a bug.
These buildings were removed 25 minutes after the new workshop was placed in your city and 20 minutes before the Sleepy Titan was upgraded.
Unfortunately, we cannot restore all of the buildings that were removed."

But Someone touched my account in a very non-random way. Was it while I was not playing but perhaps my computer was still on? (VERY ALARMING) Or was it when my computer was turned off? (Less alarming bc I assume that would be a problem in the server, not the real world). My husband found a peculiar neighbor city map a few days ago (MasterAra in Sinya Arda). Center buildings cleared out (just like his). Roads spelling "hacked" placed. Happened sometime between June 4-18. I don't know if the hacker put in the roads or the player.
I am not trying to slam Inno. I have sent them further information since I first reported the disappearance of my buildings and am awaiting a reply. Meanwhile, I'm only in Ch 4 and am rebuilding. I just want to know if this happened to anyone else?

CiraKelley

Back in 2017, I was hacked somehow through the Facebook log-in feature. My 2 year old towns were deactivated (deleted). Support and I had a lot of back and forth about it trying to figure how it had happened, and in the end, there was really nothing they or I could do about it. :confused:

Hackers are out there. I don't know what the point of getting into an Elvenar town would be but it does happen sometimes. So sorry this happened to you!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Yeah, the first thing you do is change your password. But I'd also look at my system to see if there were any keyloggers or other nefarious things in it. One of the ways hackers get your password is to infest your system with some little program that opens the door to other things. They usually then test in some small, insignificant way, (insignificant to them, anyway), to see if they've accomplished anything. So you run your antivirus/spyware/malware (collectively I call them the "anti-everything" programs). You may find nothing. If so, you can be about 95% percent certain you are not infected. To getting the remaining 5% takes booting from another operating system...either a external system or a clean USB/CDRW/DVDRW with the anti-everything software on it. Generally it takes a professional to do this but you can get self booting USB and CD/DVD making software, install a clean copy of an OS on them, then an anti-everything program or programs, boot from the USB or CD/DVD and run the scan.

In my opinion it's 50/50 if you should do the more robust thing or not. If you do a lot of banking or anything sensitive like that, on the system, or if, once you change the password it happens again, I'd do it. If not you might be fine with just running your installed anti-everything software.

AJ

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Back in 2017, I was hacked somehow through the Facebook log-in feature. My 2 year old towns were deactivated (deleted). Support and I had a lot of back and forth about it trying to figure how it had happened, and in the end, there was really nothing they or I could do about it. :confused:

Hackers are out there. I don't know what the point of getting into an Elvenar town would be but it does happen sometimes. So sorry this happened to you!
I suspect that they are after credit card information that you may have stored on your account.

CiraKelley

Yeah, could be so. There was never any obvious attempts to try and steal any financial info (not that I ever used any credit card info through FB or saved any info through INNO either, so they wasted their time there, if so, lol)...it was the weirdest thing!...and really awful that I lost two years of town progress. I guess it was happening to a lot of Facebook sign-in sites at the time. I stopped using Facebook for any type of sign in after that.

Ariel Greensleeves

I appreciate the technical advice, even though I can't follow it myself. I avoid facebook, bc as my husband says, its the public toilet of the internet and you can and will pick up just about anything. Its time to get a professional to inspect the home computer.
Ironically, after 3 days I have replaced and leveled all my buildings.
[MOD EDIT]
I'm sure I'll need more residences someday soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I appreciate the technical advice, even though I can't follow it myself. I avoid facebook, bc as my husband says, its the public toilet of the internet and you can and will pick up just about anything. Its time to get a professional to inspect the home computer.
Ironically, after 3 days I have replaced and leveled all my buildings.
[MOD EDIT]
I'm sure I'll need more residences someday soon...
Did you change your password? If not please do it right now, asap. First thing to always do if you may have been hacked. So sorry this happened to you!

Ariel Greensleeves

Yes I did change the password for Elvenar.
My last post doesn't make much sense since the moderators edited it. Suffice it to say, Inno resolved my issue. Eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.