• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Just entered Dwarves...help!

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
This is the first Guest Race that comes to your city. From this point forward, each chapter will host a different Guest Race. There will be a Guest Race Settlement for each one. Guest Race Settlements are composed of buildings that make special Guest Race resources that will be needed for a variety of things during that chapter including completing quests, unlocking research, upgrading buildings, etc. You will continue to need the resources your city already produces (coins, supplies, Tier 1, 2, & 3 goods) for these things as well. These resources will be held in the Portal for that race and you'll get a new drop down on the upper UI bar for these resources. These resources are specific to the chapter for that guest race. That means that once you have completed the chapter including quests, upgrades, etc, you can sell off the guest race buildings (getting coins and supplies) to make room for the next chapter settlement. (personally: I held onto the buildings to both keep the space available and to act as temporary storage for extra coin/supplies. Then sold off the buildings as I needed the space and used those coins/supplies for the new ones). There is usually a quest to sell the Portal and it awards diamonds in some chapters, so check for that before selling the portal.

Each Guest Race has its own specific needs/quirks. ElvenGems has a chapter guide for each of them. The guide lets you know what you'll face in the chapter and provides commentary on possible strategies to address the challenges. You can start with the one for Dwarves here:
ElvenGems: Dwarves

DeletedUser25004

if you want to progress fast in dwarves then make sure to have alot of space for the guestrace settlement about 15 granite and 8 copper mines total imo. if you want to just glide along and not worry about minmaxing then less space is viable too.

first you want to upgrade the portal as much as you can second the mines, if you spend too much effort on making the goods for research on level 1 mines you will only benefit in the short term and not in the long.
Thats my supershort advice. and listhen to @samidodamage ^^ few people know the game like her.

LisaMV

Get and save all of the portal profits you can get and try to use them when your portal is lv4 to get the maximum goods from the level boost to production.
This seems like great advice, but honestly ~ don't understand a word of it quite yet~! lol It's a bit beyond me, but I will keep it in mind, thank you!

NightshadeCS

This seems like great advice, but honestly ~ don't understand a word of it quite yet~! lol It's a bit beyond me, but I will keep it in mind, thank you!
Just like your Manufactories, the special buildings for each guest race produce certain goods that are unique to that chapter and are only used during that chapter for research (you may need some extra at the end to upgrade all roads). How many of those goods you can store at one time is based on your Portal Level (kind of like the limit on coins and supplies in your Main Hall). Every portal in each guest race can be upgraded up to level 4, at which time it has the highest amount of storage. PPs give you a percentage of that storage capacity when you use them, so you will get more guest race goods when your portal can hold more than you would when it can hold less.

This is why, most of the time, it is advisable to get the portal upgraded as much as possible before using too many PP. However, there are times when the space crunch is too much, or circumstances favor a slightly different strategy.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
If I knew then what I know now, I would have never used a portal profit (in inventory under "instants" if you have any) until my Dwarven portal was at level four. The first thing to do, Lisa, is what Sami said. Go to Elvengems and look up "guest races" and see what it says for Dwarves. It will tell you what to research first, what you'll need, etc. While you're in Dwarves, make sure you check out Fairies so that you'll know exactly what to do when you finish Dwarves. It will happen sooner than you think.

Finish upgrading the portal before you upgrade mines/copper foundries ... gee, everyone has given such great advice here, you don't need mine.

About the only thing that tripped me up in Dwarves was when I got a quest and was asked to build something (can't remember what). I thought it was in the build tab. It wasn't. It was a 2-day item in the granite mine, I believe (or was it copper?) Gosh, I'm no help, lol. But Elvengems is wonderful. Good luck!

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Get and save all of the portal profits you can get and try to use them when your portal is lv4 to get the maximum goods from the level boost to production.
For the most part this is VERY sound advice. The more advanced your portal is, the more you get out of the portal profit spells. However, I do think there should be an exception if using the Portal Profit spell allows you to improve the portal. I have recently entered Dwarves. Once I unlocked stuff, I immediately set my builders to building the Portal and Granite Mines. However, I *DID* burn one of the 50% Portal Profit spells I had accumulated from the Spire. Using this Portal Profit spell early in Dwarves let me do the level 3 upgrade on the portal. This upgrade requires copper. I have not yet unlocked Copper. But because of using 1 portal profit, I was still able to do the upgrade. I do not think this is a bad trade for 1 spell.

shimmerfly

if you spend too much effort on making the goods for research on level 1 mines you will only benefit in the short term and not in the long.
Thats my supershort advice. and listhen to @samidodamage ^^ few people know the game like her.

Samido has never steered me wrong. She alway has good advice, as others!
This link will help you tremendously in any of the guest races.
https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/dwarves-chapter-vi On the left side you will find them all.
Sit back, Relax and most of all, have fun!

LisaMV

Oh my! Thank you all for this good advice... especially the 'have fun!' one... forgot that, lol. I feel a great deal calmer now, having you all for support. Also - goodness: Dwarves are a 'guest' race, and I should treat them that way, not fear them. That turn of consciousness helped a lot too.

I am not sure of one thing...are the Dwarven mf's the same as I have now? Do I build new ones, or is it just an upgrade to the ones I have? And is it still OK to just have my marble/boosted good?

Thanks so much, all of you - I have been so annoyed to always win those "stupid portal profits! what the @$%# are those anyway?!"
ha ha! now I am glad for it. I could tell they were 'something', so didn't disenchant...though very tempted in ch3!

Deleted User - 4646370

We are moving a bit far from topic, but I think Portal profits presentation needs a fix. If I remember well, the description says something like "You aren't far enough in tech tree to use this". But it doesn't precise that they are needed as soon as chapter 6, so the phrasing can make think it's not useful until far away. Which is actually not the case.

I am not sure of one thing...are the Dwarven mf's the same as I have now? Do I build new ones, or is it just an upgrade to the ones I have? And is it still OK to just have my marble/boosted good?
It's just an upgrade for your manufactories. And of course, you can (and it's recommended) still go with only your boosted factories, at least until chapter 11. In chapters 12+ things are a bit more complicated with sentient goods (basically you get another boost in some non-boosted manufactories).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zypheria

Dwarven manufactories will be an upgrade on what you have now. Think of it more as Dwarven style if it helps. Your boosted goods will remain the same throughout the game, and you should continue trading for your non boosted goods.

Portal profits are definitely useful! It can be hard waiting to use them until your portal upgrades, but it is worth it. Remember too that the portal profits will be useful in all the guest race chapters, so you may not want to use all of them to get through Dwarves :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Thanks so much, all of you - I have been so annoyed to always win those "stupid portal profits! what the @$%# are those anyway?!"
ha ha! now I am glad for it. I could tell they were 'something', so didn't disenchant...though very tempted in ch3!

I disenchanted every one I got in Chapters 1-3 ... I thought they were useless and I wanted those pretty unicorns to craft. I have kicked myself until I'm black and blue for that one. You had the smarts not to do that. Congrats!

LisaMV

I disenchanted every one I got in Chapters 1-3 ... I thought they were useless and I wanted those pretty unicorns to craft. I have kicked myself until I'm black and blue for that one. You had the smarts not to do that. Congrats!
no, no - no credit here! I did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason! lol I stopped sometime in ch 2 I think, when I started reading all about them here... but maybe did one then too - for that white pop/cul unicorn... We were kids then, what did we know? :)

LisaMV

Dwarven manufactories will be an upgrade on what you have now. Think of it more as Dwarven style if it helps. Your boosted goods will remain the same throughout the game, and you should continue trading for your non boosted goods.

Portal profits are definitely useful! It can be hard waiting to use them until your portal upgrades, but it is worth it. Remember too that the portal profits will be useful in all the guest race chapters, so you may not want to use all of them to get through Dwarves :)
Thanks for both these points! Thinking 'Dwarven style' makes it very clear. And yes - I probably would have blown through all my PP's, thank you for the warning!

LisaMV

It's just an upgrade for your manufactories. And of course, you can (and it's recommended) still go with only your boosted factories, at least until chapter 11. In chapters 12+ things are a bit more complicated with sentient goods (basically you get another boost in some non-boosted manufactories).
Thank you for this confirmation ~ whew. My new FS AM has been patiently waiting for me to let go of all those 'when I had no one to trade with and no FS' mf's... there was a recent purge, and I would have been kicking myself had I needed them now!