• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Let them have passion

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
A while back somebody made a statement implying passion being a suitable and sufficient base for knowledge. It was in response to a position I took which argued for reason and evidence, implying those, alone, should be the positions taken. In the short exchange it wasn't really appropriate to discuss the distinction as it would have derailed the ongoing exchange, so I let the matter drop, though I did, a few days later, develop some ideas about forum discussions.

This "little" note is about passion itself and it's probably going to be a bit long. If you don't have the time/energy/stomach for such a thing, do feel free to move on.

Passion is emotion. It's a degree of emotion that, to the Romans, drove people to action. Aristotle spoke of it as pathos and held that it was a way to persuade. I would take it even farther and say it is so central to communication that if we didn't have passions we wouldn't discuss anything. Or do anything. Passions are the bedrock of action, but also of language itself, in my view. Here's why.

For a person to experience anything, they must sense the thing they are experiencing. Something in them has to react to that experience for it to be noted as having occurred. Language itself is experience. So we experience not only outside phenomenon via our five senses, but we then recognize we are experiencing that world by assigning symbols to that experience. I touch a hot stove and while my body pulls back, I immediately realize "ouch, that burns!" I then turn to look at my hand and see just how stupid I've been. All this is a mixture of external sense and internal responses which are, themselves, sensed. In other words, perception is a mixture of all our senses, and that leads us to passion as the body responds, while then our mental state "corrects" and "adjusts" that response based upon our mental perceptions of what's going on. That the human brain can override physiological responses is well known. This is the basis of a lot of "mind over matter," battlefield altruism, positive thinking, and even faith healing. In each case it may be the intensity of what the person symbolically believes that drives the individual to override the immediate physiological response.

We see this in our own lives as we mature. When we are children we are pretty much without the structures of understanding necessary to override our immediate body response to events around us. If we want something, we take it. If we are hit, we hit back or cry. There's no reflective response because to have that you have to have a memory of what just happened and the symbols to recall it. It's all pretty much stimulus-response. But, as we develop language and the ability to speak we begin to shift what we know to the symbolic realm and that enables us to re-frame our experiences. This process continues as we mature and probably never ends. The shift from strictly physiological basis of knowledge to a symbolic one, results in an ability to recall. It is not surprising people have few to no memories before the age of 2 or 3 since to recall something you have to have some kind of handle on it. That handle can be just about anything, including smells, sounds, images, etc..., but as we grow, becomes more and more the set of symbols we use to recall that event. Which, in turn, shapes our memory of the event even to the point where we can have memories of things that never happened. Change the symbols used to describe a thing, and change the passion you feel about it.

Now having said that, my argument is not that passion should not be used in a debate. It's that when passion is the method of knowledge one should be sure it is founded upon more than our current emotional state. In fact, if we think about it, our own, current emotional state didn’t just pop up. We got to that state because we had our own set of evidences for believing. We may be passionate because we think we should be passionate, we may believe because we have personal experiences, or we may be passionate because we have investigated the general question and have found enough reason and evidence to believe we ought to be passionate about it. But if you consider this you soon come to understand that the emotional state we call passion is unique and idiosyncratic. It may be justified, but it is personal.

Thus, passion, while not automatically irrational, by itself does not show us why you are passionate. For that you have to turn to reason and evidence and be willing to acknowledge maybe you shouldn’t be taking the stand you are taking. Passion and rationality (the use of reason and evidence in persuasion) are not so much opposed as the second is able to change the perception and thus the passion. And, in fact, if both sides let their passion do the talking, neither side will persuade the other as neither is rehearsing why they are passionate.

As we said above, passion is a response to perception. Change the words used to describe the experience and you change the perception. Change the perception and you change the passion. So persuasion is about introducing something which changes the person's perception of reality. And what changes a persons perception is not my passion because my passion is idiosyncratic. It’s my passion! What changes a persons mind is a set of experiences. Personal encounters with things that are relevant to the subject at hand. You show them something, reveal something, quote somebody, count something, etc, -- things the person can confirm for themselves -- and you change their reality. One of the best questions you can ask yourself when you feel passionate about something is, "why?" In other words, what set or experiences do you have with the subject that lead you to feel that passionate? Then ask if those are sufficient for persuading others. Let's say I don't like cats. Absolutly hate them (I love cats, btw, so they won't be offended). I am passionate that all stray cats should be rounded up and killed and that the breeding, selling, and ownership of cats should be stopped! You love cats and feel the opposite. We are both passionate, but why? Maybe I give you some interesting statistics about how cats cause this or that. I recall some written records of how cats harmed people, and so on. You say, "my Tubby likes to purr." Which do you think more persuasive? Since the general question "are cats good for us" is a general question do you really expect you can persuade me cats are good because one cat, Tubby, likes to purr? You can be as passionate about it as you like, but your passion is based upon a very small set of experiences. I claim my argument is based upon the experience of a lot of others, including, perhaps, myself.

The end then, passion is the result of experience. But if a person’s experience isn’t generalized any general statement he/she makes based upon their personal feelings, is very, very, limited. Their passion does not equal my persuasion. At the same time, if we didn't feel as we do, we wouldn’t be discussing the matter. Passion is necessary. What gives us the confidence that everyone should feel the way we do, though, is not our feelings but the amount of human experience -- the evidence and what it tells us -- upon which we base that passion. And it's not surprising that the more reason and evidence we gather for our position the more certain (i.e. passionate) we become about it. The cool thing is, though, the more reason and evidence we have convincing us of our position the less we rely on our passion to persuade. After all, we were persuaded by the reason and evidence, so why shouldn't the other person be so?

When you think about this you can see that passion is necessary, and is a source of some evidence, but it is not the final persuader of anyone, including you. You may get your passion by believing you ought to feel a certain way about something, you may get your passion out of personal experience, and/or you may get your passion out of a long and deep look at the external evidence and reasoning, and that's fine, but, again, it's your passion and your passion does not equal my persuasion. If you want to persuade anyone you must bring out the very things which persuaded you to be passionate about it in the first place. Only then will you have a chance.

AJ

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
My passion doesn't equal your passion, we could argue forever who's passion is right, we all have different preferences and circumstances.
My logic and reason should equal your logic and reason. If we don't agree, one of us is wrong.

ajqtrz

I just started reading Schopenhauer a week ago. Not too far into it. I would be interesting to see how you think Schoepenhauer "influences or parallels" my thoughts.

AJ

JackofShadows

Logic and reason are all very well and good in decision making, but I suggest that there is room for emotion - for passion, if you will - in the process as well. Just because something is legally wrong doesn't necessarily make it morally wrong. And vice versa - just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right.

We need look no further than legalized slavery as an example of the latter.

On an etymological note, "decision" and "decide" come from the same Latin roots as other "cides" - suicide, fratricide, homicide, etc. They all reference killing. When you make a decision, options are lost. Be careful what you choose to kill.

Elovios

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
I just started reading Schopenhauer a week ago. Not too far into it. I would be interesting to see how you think Schoepenhauer "influences or parallels" my thoughts.

AJ

Hey there, he did write a book (The Art of Being Right) and mentioned that passion is a way to make the "masses" believe in your argument more effectively, in an "immoral"/not "correct" way and it reminded me of your clever paragraph:

Thus, passion, while not automatically irrational, by itself does not show us why you are passionate. For that you have to turn to reason and evidence and be willing to acknowledge maybe you shouldn’t be taking the stand you are taking. Passion and rationality (the use of reason and evidence in persuasion) are not so much opposed as the second is able to change the perception and thus the passion. And, in fact, if both sides let their passion do the talking, neither side will persuade the other as neither is rehearsing why they are passionate.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Logic and reason are all very well and good in decision making, but I suggest that there is room for emotion - for passion, if you will - in the process as well. Just because something is legally wrong doesn't necessarily make it morally wrong. And vice versa - just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right.

I don't think that morality has to be emotional. Emotions can get very confusing because what makes one person happy can make other people unhappy. I look at actual harm and that should be avoided at any cost. Just because someone is upset about a harmless thing doesn't make it immoral.

Katwick

Cartographer
My logic and reason should equal your logic and reason. If we don't agree, one of us is wrong.
Or you could BOTH be wrong!

For me, passion is all about having a life that's worth the effort, and being a pathfinder.

When I'm reincarnated, I'd like to come back to a more interesting, less dangerous world.

Screenshot_20220612-204455_Google News.jpg

Last edited:

JackofShadows

I don't think that morality has to be emotional. Emotions can get very confusing because what makes one person happy can make other people unhappy. I look at actual harm and that should be avoided at any cost. Just because someone is upset about a harmless thing doesn't make it immoral.

No, morality doesn't have to be emotional - but it *is* in many cases. "This feels good to me, so it is right. Because it is right, there needs to be a law making it so."

Or "I don't like this because it feels wrong. Because it feels wrong, there needs to be laws against it."

It's difficult to get into discussions of morality WITHOUT getting into politics as well - because much of what we call morality is based on law. And I really don't want to get this thread locked because tempers start flying.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
No, morality doesn't have to be emotional - but it *is* in many cases. "This feels good to me, so it is right. Because it is right, there needs to be a law making it so."

Or "I don't like this because it feels wrong. Because it feels wrong, there needs to be laws against it."

That's why we have rules. They might not be perfect but people that don't understand morality need it. Imagine what it would be like if we went by unjustified or selfish emotions, it would be chaos, a lot would be based on that days mood.

ajqtrz

In my way of thinking there are only two sources of moral thinking. One is external and appeals, in the long run, to either force or love. You obey the source of the rule our of fear or respect. The second it internal, the sense you have of things and the source or authority for that is your emotional perception (which may be influenced by both the rational and the external source of morality. Societies seldom function well when they rely strictly on force to keep things in order, for without a committment and appreciation of the society itself -- it's general ways of doing this or that, the individual's sense of the moral will eventually destroy any affliation with his/her society. Thomas Jefferson argued that to gain the loyalty of citizens a society has to do two things: insure that whatever the individual citizen has gained cannot be taken from them unjustly (security) and whatever it is that citizens want to gain, there is a reasaonable path by which they can do so (opportunity). The natural state of the human species is always towards being secure and increasing.

I think you can't have morals without passion because passion is the "actio" of the Romans...the thing that makes you act.

AJ

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Societies seldom function well when they rely strictly on force to keep things in order, for without a committment and appreciation of the society itself

This is why societies have a say in what rules are made through elections etc.

I think you can't have morals without passion because passion is the "actio" of the Romans...the thing that makes you act.

I think that avoiding harm is a very legitimate and strong passion. Also, our emotions are related to our survival not necessarily to a society survival. Good rules align both.

Deleted User - 850238979

Gosh that's a lot of words!

I didn't read them all, I got the gist in the first two paragraphs.

You make quite a distinction between passion/emotion and reason yet humans cannot reason effectively without emotion.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajqtrz

Gosh that's a lot of words!

I didn't read them all, I got the gist in the first two paragraphs.

You make quite a distinction between passion/emotion and reason yet humans cannot reason effectively without emotion.
You are absolutely right. Passion/emotion is the foundation of thought itself. However, passion/emotion are what we call metonymic events -- they take place in the moment, while logic and reasoning are linear and are processed primarily in the left brain (the "Left Brain Interpreter" is a primary example of this). And, just to balance things out, linear things are metaphoric and thus usually temporaly considered. Philosophers have, for at least a hundred years, considered the primary measure of reality as the quality of "extension," meaning whatever exists to us must, to us, have dimensions (it extends) in time and space. Our brains deal with the "here and immediate" with the right, metonymic brain, and the linear "through time" with the left, the metaphoric. (Roman Jakobson was, to my knowledge, the first to classify these two "poles of understanding" and to discover they were left/right brain methods way back in about 1916). In the end we are rational first because we have passion. You might actually consider thinking a form of "disciplined feeling."

So, when it comes to the "here and now" we only do things because we "sense," (i.e. "feel") we should or desire to do them, and that includes thinking with reason.

AJ

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
So, when it comes to the "here and now" we only do things because we "sense," (i.e. "feel") we should or desire to do them, and that includes thinking with reason.

Yes, emotions do have a reason. Whether it's a good one or bad one, that's the question.

ajqtrz

Yes, emotions do have a reason. Whether it's a good one or bad one, that's the question.
Which is why, when somebody expresses their belief/opinion passionately, but doesn't include why they feel as they do, it's not persuasive. To persuade is to give the other person your passion by giving the experiences/reasons for that passion. Unfortunately, often we haven't really asked ourselves why we feel as we do -- what objective things we've experienced and learned that lead us to perceive things as we do -- and we can't tell the other person why we feel as we do. WE feel its right so THEY should feel the same. That they don't makes us suspect them. And that leads to ad hominem fallacies and, too often, anger by both sides as they exchange remarks designed to undermine the other person, rather than the other person's evidence and reasoning.

AJ