• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Locking threads

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I understand that some topics are uncomfortable for moderators and it's much easier job for them to lock the threads. The problem is that in doing so the topic doesn't get resolved and is swept under the rug. People won't understand the reasons for things being the way they are by cutting the communication short and it's very likely that the same issue will come up again. Also, it's not against the Forum rules to talk about Forum rules.

Anyways, if you want players to understand and therefore let go of an issues, there needs to be communication. Locking thread only creates bitterness, grudges and confusion, especially when it's done before a proper discussion has been made. There are game supporters out there that can make good points to help resolve the issue given a chance.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I agree. Here's two very easy to understand reasons why:

1) All the points that could be or should be made are seldom made.
2) All the players having points to make may not have yet seen the thread.

A thread has a life of it's own and as long as the basic question is being discussed civilly, people are thinking. In the process of thinking they are turning the subject over in their own minds, considering other's points of view, finding reasons to agree or disagree. In other words, most players do not arrive having formed a "final answer" to the question, and are in the discussion to either solidify a belief, or to have it changed through discovery of other points. A thread is a "community thought stream" much like that which goes on in the head of every thinking individual. We "ponder together" this or that and eventually either come to some kind of consensus or not. It's when we don't come to a consensus that makes the thread important enough to keep open. Just as in our own thought processes, a thread may sit there for a long, long time before being re-activated by new players and perspectives.

In addition, the ebb and flow of a discussion often brings new people into it. Those people may not have arrived at the beginning but that doesn't mean they can't have new, and often, refreshing, perspectives. Closing the thread makes it impossible to express those ideas without starting a new thread...which can also get you in trouble.

So when do you close a thread?

First, when it gets off topic. If a gentle reminder of the topic at hand, issued by either a poster or the moderator, does not get people off whatever rabbit hole they've followed, it should be closed with an offer to re-start the topic in another thread. Perhaps the moderator could then move the part of the threads on topic to that new thread. AND those consistently getting off topic should be warned.

Second, if the thread becomes personal. This is, of course, just a subset of getting off topic, but bears focusing upon. When players start attacking each other, threatening each other and telling others not to listen to the other guy, that is not only off topic, but usually unethical. And it matters not which side started it. If a moderator notices a player consistently doing this, or doing it and then defending his/her actions, the moderator ought, in my opinion, to block the user from being on the forum for a bit. Repeated offenses would lengthen the player being blocked.

At least that's what I think.

AJ

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
So when do you close a thread?

First, when it gets off topic. If a gentle reminder of the topic at hand, issued by either a poster or the moderator, does not get people off whatever rabbit hole they've followed, it should be closed with an offer to re-start the topic in another thread. Perhaps the moderator could then move the part of the threads on topic to that new thread. AND those consistently getting off topic should be warned.

Second, if the thread becomes personal. This is, of course, just a subset of getting off topic, but bears focusing upon. When players start attacking each other, threatening each other and telling others not to listen to the other guy, that is not only off topic, but usually unethical. And it matters not which side started it. If a moderator notices a player consistently doing this, or doing it and then defending his/her actions, the moderator ought, in my opinion, to block the user from being on the forum for a bit. Repeated offenses would lengthen the player being blocked.

Sorry but I don't agree with the "second" part of it. Thread should not get closed just because of few offenders. The offenders should be dealt with separately to allow the rest of the community peacefully continue to discuss the topic.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Sorry but I don't agree with the "second" part of it. Thread should not get closed just because of few offenders. The offenders should be dealt with separately to allow the rest of the community peacefully continue to discuss the topic.
I agree. I've overstated the case a bit here. Sadly I've found though, the moderators more reluctant to block a player from participating in the forum (for whatever amount of time) than shutting the thread down. And if that's the case, leaving the thread open just encourages such behavior.

AJ

Flashfyre

Have to disagree with the OP. Moderating forums means keeping the peace, and that means shutting down discussions that have violated Terms & Services, or will inevitably devolve into sparring matches. Having been part of a moderation team on a forum many moons ago, I know how tough it is keeping threads on topic and free of abuse. The claim that locking threads is because they are uncomfortable for moderators is pure bunkum; moderators who allow threads to become personal don't stay moderators for long. Off topic threads get moved to proper areas, comments with questionable or outright prohibited content either are edited to remove such content, or are deleted in whole. Locking threads is the final option when posters just refuse to let a subject die off.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I think the stupidest rule this forum has is "Don't Discuss Support Tickets"
It has nothing to do with privacy
It has nothing to do with cheating
It can actually be helpful to other players
But it is not allowed because
There's a possibilty it could make mods look bad.
Oh nooooo. :'(

You can easily go around this rule, just generalise the issue and don't mention the ticket. If it can't be generalised then it's a personal matter that is not relevant to the public and there's no need to create panic, give people heart attacks, destroy the game, start heated discussion and mass paranoia :D

BrinDarby

Moderating forums means keeping the peace, and that means shutting down discussions that have violated Terms & Services
I do agree with the 1st part, not so much the 2nd part.
I also agree, that parts of the buisness aren't public....

Where this gets super murky is when there's a problem.
No matter what the problem is, and what it pertains to...
there is benefit to Inno, not to allow it to migrate beyond
the sphere of control of Inno. So, when a player feels
slighted by "the company" , a natural tendancy is to warn
other "customers" to watch out for something, and if
that can be contained within Inno's sphere of control,
then its much better for Inno.

The exposure on say Facebook compared to this Forum,
is huge. Inno doesn't control Facebook, yet they do control
things around here. By solving problems here, even if its just
cosmetically ( per use ) but hopefully longterm, in a light
painting Inno positively, to thier most hardened players,
...... would increase Inno's bottom line, player retention,
new player aquistition, and it stops it from migrating to
Facebook. For this very reason Helya, will be sorely
miss'd around here, fix'n things was her superpower.

StarLoad

As a former Forum Mod and CM in another game from my past I can tell you that the need to delete is never one that should or is common here.
There are rules for a reason (this isn't reddit) but once the rules are set it is up to the mods to enforce them, and that means we would have to lock or delete. If a player violates certain rules that may mean immediate deletion. The rules on posting of support tickets are clear and I have not seen any mods abuse that stance. Even Helya would delete posts that violated this rule. I have myself reported some and "Helya" deleted them ( I assume)

My point is that the rules are posted and when you break them stuff happens, so lay off the mods as they are people too.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
As a former Forum Mod and CM in another game from my past I can tell you that the need to delete is never one that should or is common here.
There are rules for a reason (this isn't reddit) but once the rules are set it is up to the mods to enforce them, and that means we would have to lock or delete. If a player violates certain rules that may mean immediate deletion. The rules on posting of support tickets are clear and I have not seen any mods abuse that stance. Even Helya would delete posts that violated this rule. I have myself reported some and "Helya" deleted them ( I assume)

My point is that the rules are posted and when you break them stuff happens, so lay off the mods as they are people too.

The problem is when a negative thread gets locked, it removes an opportunity for others to turn it around. This negative thread stays and players keep reading it and the negativity not only stays but is still being spread around. There needs to be an opportunity to turn the topic around to reflect the reality that most of the time isn't that bad. Locking the thread is locking the negativity in.
And it is against the rules to start the topic again.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
I think the stupidest rule this forum has is "Don't Discuss Support Tickets"
It has nothing to do with privacy
It has nothing to do with cheating
It can actually be helpful to other players
But it is not allowed because
There's a possibilty it could make mods look bad.
Oh nooooo. :'(
Obviously you’ve never worked a volunteer support job.

StarLoad

The problem is when a negative thread gets locked, it removes an opportunity for others to turn it around.
While that may be true, in my experiences the negative ones stay that way and oftentimes devolve into two camps and one agrees and the other does not. Then you are in a no win situation and putting an end to it becomes the final hope.

Ed

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
While that may be true, in my experiences the negative ones stay that way and oftentimes devolve into two camps and one agrees and the other does not. Then you are in a no win situation and putting an end to it becomes the final hope.

Ed

Yes, let's start it again later. :D

Obviously you’ve never worked a volunteer support job.

I suppose we are all volunteers here. :)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

Ed

This. Almost every forum I have ever used has to lock the threads that become nothing but a back and forth argument between a couple of people, and usually involves a few people also be banned from the thread because they got too heated. Those threads can never be redeemed and are better off locked.

But if people think there is something worth discussing without the bad people involved, start a new thread and quote all the relevant posts in it.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
This. Almost every forum I have ever used has to lock the threads that become nothing but a back and forth argument between a couple of people, and usually involves a few people also be banned from the thread because they got too heated. Those threads can never be redeemed and are better off locked.

Maybe it's time to have a fresh look at things and break the vicious circle. It does work in other forums.

But if people think there is something worth discussing without the bad people involved, start a new thread and quote all the relevant posts in it.

This is against the rules so I wouldn't recommend that. I've learned the hard way. ;)

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Nope. When the trash talking starts, the thread is dead. This usually means the ones arguing have also taken the thread off-topic and that means it needs to be locked if they won't shut up.

They usually get tired of it eventually especially once everyone else starts ignoring them. And if it's breaking rules then moderators should deal with it as I said before.

Anyways, I don't have a crystal ball, there's only one way to find out and try to make things better. :)