• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mercenaries work for gold

Gath Of Baal

Mercenary - A mercenary, sometimes known as a soldier of fortune, is an individual who takes part in military conflict for personal profit, is otherwise an outsider to the conflict, and is not a member of any other official military. Mercenaries fight for money or other forms of payment.

If you have to actually train them then they are not Mercenaries, they are normally professional soldiers who are already trained..

I know there is the language barrier that has shown up before in the way some buildings are named in the game and I am not complaining about that, but I would like for the Mercenary Camp to be a true Mercenary Camp in the way that troops are hired for gold instead of produced.

Would need a daily limit of how many troops could be purchased or would need an increasing cost like how the wholesaler works or it could be made like buying knowledge points where every unit purchased permanently increases the cost.

With the Spire of Eternity and Tournaments and Province fighting, killing troops off nowadays is quick, easy and painful..

This might help

DeletedUser16929

I know there is the language barrier that has shown up before in the way some buildings are named in the game and I am not complaining about that, but I would like for the Mercenary Camp to be a true Mercenary Camp in the way that troops are hired for gold instead of produced.
you are very correct
i agree with you 1000% :):):D:D:p:D:D:):)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Other than charging us orcs and supplies instead of charging us gold, and referring to them as troops instead of employees, is there really a difference? Do we actually want to lose any unslaughtered mercenaries we hired at the end of the week (or tournament, or whatever), unless we pay to hire them all over again?

DeletedUser16929

Do we actually want to lose any unslaughtered mercenaries we hired at the end of the week
mercenaries are cannon fodder (soldiers regarded merely as material to be expended in war.)
it would be really kind of the game builders to minus mercenary numbers before taking regular forces and special forces
let's be happy, happy :D:D:p:p;):p:p:D:D

shimmerfly

Would need a daily limit of how many troops could be purchased or would need an increasing cost like how the wholesaler works or it could be made like buying knowledge points where every unit purchased permanently increases the cost.

With the Spire of Eternity and Tournaments and Province fighting, killing troops off nowadays is quick, easy and painful..

This might help
I don't see how this would help. Training them costs and buying them costs so what would be different other than there would be a limit? Maybe I'm missing your idea?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I don't see how this would help.
It would take some of the pressure off supplies for training troops. Without a training queue, they could also be immediately available, saving on time boosters. Since it would only affect the Merc Camp and many of those units are either not obtained or don't get their promotion to an effective level until later chapters, I don't think it would throw off the game balance (but that's not my strong suit, so not really sure) especially if limits are put in place as suggested.

Gath Of Baal

Other than charging us orcs and supplies instead of charging us gold, and referring to them as troops instead of employees, is there really a difference? Do we actually want to lose any unslaughtered mercenaries we hired at the end of the week (or tournament, or whatever), unless we pay to hire them all over again?

Once hired they are yours till they die and if you never use them then they just build up... This is why there should be one of the 3 limitations to hire them as I posted above. Its just a way of getting more troops other then the training que or spending diamonds that is true to the name of the building "Mercenary Camp"
Mercs are already trained and work for gold this is the point of being a mercenary to sell your skills for a profit..

The way the mercenary camp works now is a bunch of people sitting around wanting to be mercenaries and if you hire them then they must be trained first before you can use them

The way the Mercenary camp should work is a bunch of trained soldier sitting around and wanting to become mercenaries and if you hire them it is instant instead of having to wait for them to become trained first

Last edited:

Pheryll

Set Designer
The way the Mercenary camp should work is a bunch of trained soldier sitting around and wanting to become mercenaries and if you hire them it is instant instead of having to wait for them to become trained first

So, are you looking at a wholesaler-like system? Each bundle that you pay for during the day increases the cost of the next bundle. After the day is over the price resets.

Kataphractos

Mercenary - A mercenary, sometimes known as a soldier of fortune, is an individual who takes part in military conflict for personal profit, is otherwise an outsider to the conflict, and is not a member of any other official military. Mercenaries fight for money or other forms of payment.

Hang on. There have been plenty of "mercenaries" in history who were part of an official military. Being an American, the first example that comes to my mind is the Hessians. Hessians, of course, answered to the Prince of Hesse: he was the one collecting all the "personal profit", and his soldiers simply fought wherever he told them to. (You may think this was an unfair system. So did the Hessians, which is why several thousand of them eventually deserted to the American side.) And while they would arrive knowing how to fight, they wouldn't arrive knowing their employer's language or chain-of-command, so they still needed a brief training period. Mercenary units in Elvenar make a little more sense as Hessian-style mercenaries, sent by their equivalent of a prince or a king, than they do as the modern concept of "private military contractors".

Of course that doesn't solve Gath's ultimate problem, which appears to be: "I want just-in-time manufacturing, for troops, and also I want those same troops to evaporate after 24 hours". Now, we've got a setting where certain people are literally made out of clouds, so there's no conceptual reason why Gath shouldn't have that. (As for game-balance or InnoGames profits or whatever, that's another story.) But I think the argument that Elvenar mercenaries aren't sufficiently realistic falls flat. When it comes to the poleaxe-wielding, 7-foot-tall alligator-men, who use active volcanoes for a Jacuzzi...their being called "mercenaries" turns out to be the most realistic thing about them!

Gath Of Baal

So, are you looking at a wholesaler-like system? Each bundle that you pay for during the day increases the cost of the next bundle. After the day is over the price resets.

Yes one of these 3 would work to keep it reasonable

Gath Of Baal

and also I want those same troops to evaporate after 24 hours". Now, we've got a setting where certain people are literally made out of clouds,

Never once did I say anywhere that they were temporary troops... Once you "Hire" them with gold they become part of your troops counts... Why would you possibly want those troops to "evaporate" after 24 hours... your troops in the game have 0 upkeep so why would you not want them

But I think the argument that Elvenar mercenaries aren't sufficiently realistic falls flat.

Again I wasn't complaining about the wording.. I was saying that it should be made into a true Mercenary camp where you can hire troops for gold instead of having to train them

Again a mercenary is a trained soldier already who has the skills to sell.. Why would you have to train a mercenary along with your noob archers in the barracks que after you hire him

DeletedUser2870

Other suggestions have been made. Like giving the mercenary camp an extra ability; to pay gold in a battle to fight with one extra unit for instance. That may be expensive, but it would be an option, and perhaps only to be used once every 24 hours. Or (or and/or) the possibility to pay and have 1 random enemy unit desert.