• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Missing (disappearing) Orcs

DrachenHeld

For a week or so I have been busy churning out Orcs in the Armory (Breeding Grounds). I am sure that I had several thousand by now (based on the last time I looked). Today I happened to look and the Orcs are at 0 (zero). Seems like a bug to me.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Orcs are used in rally productions and to upgrade workshops, also to make Orc generals and strategists in the Training Grounds.
This can be dicey at the start of the chapter if you wandered around the tech tree at the start.
I do a precision strike, house upgrades and armories, then the stuff around it. I also craft Orc Nests and/or upgrade buildings that produce them, if I won them last chapter, ie Orc Ships, Witch's Hut..

Last edited:

DrachenHeld

Oh! Orc warriors, which I started making a day or two ago (I lose track of time with the FA going on) use up the general purpose orcs that the Breeding Grounds make. Thanks! And thanks for the tips.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
If you're going to make units with orc resources, I recommend Orc Strategists over Orc Warriors. I have not found a situation where I need Orc Warriors. I don't know if you're an elf or human city, but for elf city, I would not choose a level 1 orc strategists over a level 3 treant if I'm going to use heavy melee. If I'm out of treants, I would go to golems, frogs, or even dreadful level 3 sword dancers for light melee before I go to Orc Warriors. Against heavy range, I would use blossom or other mages. Making Orc Warriors also ties up a slot in Training Ground that could be used for making cerebus, dryads, etc. that are more useful.

Level 1 Orc Strategists are still one of the best units to handle a bunch of pesky archers though. If all the enemy archers are dead, Orc Strategists can still handle secondary match ups ok by fact they are heavy range units. Light melee units, with exception of drone rider, do not have enough range to catch a retreating enemy archer. However, if there are no enemy archers left, drone riders will get smashed trying to go up against heavy melee or heavy range. Orc strategists can take a lot of hits from fellow heavy range enemies, do decent damage against light melee, and against heavy melee, they can use the terrain and still keep out of heavy melee's range.

Last edited:

Lelanya

I like the Orc Warrior. I don't use him as much as others but my, he does a marvelous job of slicing up light melee.
I maintain them at about 40% strength of my barracks troops and wardogs, unless of course I have a fully evolved Brown Bear. Then i have lots of them :)

Last edited:

crackie

Orc Warrior has a slight hit and health advantage over treants, but by the time you can produce them, you have level 3 treants that come with Dazing Lash bonus abilities to nerf enemy attack by 30% for 2 turns. Orc Warriors only chop. That nerfing is important because if you're using heavy melee due to close combat in heavy traffic, you'd want your other troops to survive too after the heavy melee's turn.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
OW is amazing at 3*
The knockdown nerfs enemy attack by 20% for 2 turns and has a strike back X3. Combined with the higher health, higher attack and both attack/defense bonuses against LM and HR, he beats the treants hands down. The treant has a defense bonus against LM, no attack bonus and no attack or defense bonus against HR. So, the OW is hitting LM and HR much harder than treants. That's why even at 2* I was able to get more use from the OW than the treant: OW2* has the same bonuses against LM & HR as 3*, and has strike back X2 so he's only missing one strike back and the Knockdown bonus.

crackie

Right, I've acknowledged they hit harder. But remember, from where OP is in Orc chapter where he first unlocks OWs to train, the level 2 OW is four chapters away and level 3 OW is six chapters away. His current heavy melee training options are level 1 OW or a level 3 treant in Orcs. Level 1 OW only chops. I suppose you can just build them for a rainy day fund and not use them until they get their big boy pants if you have the luxury of making troops to not use them. But for immediate use, Orc Strategists are handier than Orc Warriors in Orc Chapter.

Lelanya

But!
It's always fun to test the new troops. Come on, why push people to race through the game? Things get difficult after chapter 14, let folks enjoy the mid levels.

DeletedUser26243

Orcs are used in rally productions and to upgrade workshops, also to make Orc generals and strategists in the Training Grounds.
This can be dicey at the start of the chapter if you wandered around the tech tree at the start.
I do a precision strike, house upgrades and armories, then the stuff around it. I also craft Orc Nests and/or upgrade buildings that produce them, if I won them last chapter, ie Orc Ships, Witch's Hut..
So I’m in fairy chap have 2 of the things out that produce the orc strategists so it’s a good idea to craft at least 1 orc nest n as for my armories they need to be upgraded to a certain level b4 they will produce orc also follow the tech tree n don’t jump around Seems like or say r pretty important in my next chapter want to go in there sort of prepared

crackie

@nativedeer If you want Orc Nests for untrained orcs, wait to craft them in Orc chapter. Otherwise they don't make orcs resources yet. In that chapter, Orc Nests are slightly better than the max Orc level armory in terms of producing untrained orcs per hour. When you train Orc Strategists or Orc Warriors in Training camp, it's a 1:1 use of your orc stash. If you decide to train a lot of them, your orc stash will deplete quickly so you'll need to make enough of them to cover military spendings as well as tech/catering. And then it becomes a resource you'll need for the rest of the game.

crackie

Also want to add, I'm of the group that portal profit through Orc chapter to minimize the need to stare at fungus and scraping orc poop. As a result, I didn't have as much orcs built up entering Woodelves, so needed orc nests to supplement, but now it's all good again :)

Lelanya

So I’m in fairy chap have 2 of the things out that produce the orc strategists so it’s a good idea to craft at least 1 orc nest n as for my armories they need to be upgraded to a certain level b4 they will produce orc also follow the tech tree n don’t jump around Seems like or say r pretty important in my next chapter want to go in there sort of prepared
Orc nests need to crafted once you start the research in front of the housing upgrade. The armories need to be run up to level 19, ready to increase to 20. That's one reason why you want the houses research done, it takes a lot of population. Also these changes take a lot of space, so definitely do them early, because once you start the tech, you will not have room.
The house is high on the tech thread, then the armories low, with tech productions in the middle but you don't need them right off, you need orcs. Keep your eye on the prize. Work the middle and the stuff around it after you get those armories making orcs.
Grounds of the Orc Strategists is great keep them upgraded and they will make troops that don't cost orcs.

Lelanya

Also want to add, I'm of the group that portal profit through Orc chapter to minimize the need to stare at fungus and scraping orc poop. As a result, I didn't have as much orcs built up entering Woodelves, so needed orc nests to supplement, but now it's all good again :)
Missing valuable lessons that are needed later. If you cannot space an orc city, S&D will be hellish, not to mention figuring out how to make bottled skulls, just saying.

crackie

I have faith in my turtling abilities. My dwarf city is running on only 2 granite and 1 copper mine to wait out enough Royal Restorations. Also, S&D chapter at least looks cool :)

DeletedUser26243

Orc nests need to crafted once you start the research in front of the housing upgrade. The armories need to be run up to level 19, ready to increase to 20. That's one reason why you want the houses research done, it takes a lot of population. Also these changes take a lot of space, so definitely do them early, because once you start the tech, you will not have room.
The house is high on the tech thread, then the armories low, with tech productions in the middle but you don't need them right off, you need orcs. Keep your eye on the prize. Work the middle and the stuff around it after you get those armories making orcs.
Grounds of the Orc Strategists is great keep them upgraded and they will make troops that don't cost orcs.
My 2 armories now r at 15 so looking at close to 300 apiece to get to 19 have 21 residences 5 r magic just started with the 2 upgrades u get in fairy chap (does this seem like a average # residence) have Mt halls n the Ga n also when I place the culture stuff I like it when pop is also in it so my step will b my 2 armories. Other wise game is going good great FS 13 chests on weekly basis I can climb to top weekly in spire n a lot of us can n do we now have push weeks.(I just happen to be the smallest city in FS)Got way off topic but with out a good FA would not be able to have my game where it’s at

DeletedUser26243

I
got the trading center that gives u 10% portal profit didn’t think it was worth putting out cause of the space thing I figure I can get portal stuff other ways have some saved up for when really needed

Iyapo1

@nativedeer
I actually decided to park at the end of fairies for several reasons(waiting on enough RRs and making my wonders wonderful). While I am waiting I decided it was a good time to put out all my expiring buildings so I can get all their goodies(genies, goddess of wishes, ferris wheels, carting libraries, and trading stations). I figure I will slide into orcs at the halfway to expire point on the genies and craft orcs nests while I wait for the genies to expire(they last 99 days).

DeletedUser26243

Tha
@nativedeer
I actually decided to park at the end of fairies for several reasons(waiting on enough RRs and making my wonders wonderful). While I am waiting I decided it was a good time to put out all my expiring buildings so I can get all their goodies(genies, goddess of wishes, ferris wheels, carting libraries, and trading stations). I figure I will slide into orcs at the halfway to expire point on the genies and craft orcs nests while I wait for the genies to expire(they last 99 days).
t sounds like a good plan to build up my AW”s (5) plus I happen to be a saver in my game just got the carts n Farris wheel from FA the timer doesn’t start I hope till it’s placed rite? Thanks for the good ideas