• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

My suggestion...

DeletedUser61

Players who avoid this temptation are then shut down mid-Dwarven level and either die on the vine or buy expansions.
The most apparent effect is that a negotiation soft cap has been introduced. Unless they are exceptional fighters, folks WILL NOT be able to acquire more than 222 Provinces until they've reached the middle of Chapter VIII, which is 34 Provincial expansions, per https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Expansions#Province_Expansions_Overview.

On the low end, they'll need to acquire at least 160 Provinces which is 27 Provincial Expansions. So the "slack" is 62 Provinces.

By the time folks get to Chapter VIII they'll also have 32 City Expansions available, as well as 33 Premium Expansions.

So - 1/3rd, 1/3rd, 1/3rd. This has a couple of important consequences.
  • The soft cap for Fighting and Negotiation will be at a similar level, ie 222 provinces.
  • More workshops will be required, at least for the Orcs even if folks want to ignore their military options
  • Scouting Costs will no longer be the primary limit on acquiring Provinces so less cash will be needed
  • Before Chapter VIII folks won't need as many manufacturing buildings (fewer Coins and Supplies) because distant negotiations will no longer be possible. (I have NOT looked to see if the addition of the Orcs lowered the cost of goods for negotiation.)
  • Ancient Wonders and Armories will contribute more to Global Rank, Manufacturing Buildings will contribute less.
66 expansions, which is 2/3rds of the avail total, is plenty of space to comfortably reach chapter VIII with several Ancient Wonders, but if someone prefers to have more open space, then they can buy Premium Expansions at will.

TAKE AWAY: The importance of Goods, and consequently of manufacturing, has been considerably reduced now that there's a negotiation soft cap.

DeletedUser43

66 expansions, which is 2/3rds of the avail total, is plenty of space to comfortably reach chapter VIII with several Ancient Wonders

Then Inno has to take away the ranking list. You always totally forget that in your posts. Frankly, I know the competitive nature of people drives the most sales. But if you want to dump it, go right ahead. Because the things you advocate for every time is the best way for people to have lousy scores. Look at your own after all this time. It is awful. Of course, you don't care about score, so clearly that doesn't matter. But....for the people that do.....they will quit when they see they have just walked into a morass that will prevent from ever feeling like they have achieved anything on this game. And I see THAT as bad for sales.

But what do I know?

DeletedUser1016

They sure don't, seeing as how I just got my hand slapped for inappropriate language, which appears to be code for "you hurt my feelings".

Um, yeah. I just had a paragraph of my last post deleted by The Powers That Be. Guess I used The Word That Shall Not Be Spoken. :eek:

What's wrong with these moderators - why do they have such thin skin??? They put "dung" in our game, yet I can't say "C...AP"... I get reprimanded...yet if you search the word on this forum - thirty [30] threads show up with the word in it....!!!!o_O

...it's just a subjective rule, in their favor, that they can take advantage of and "strong arm" whomever they want to pick on.....

DeletedUser

Ah, but then there is Rule #16, which, after a bit of googling...stands firm.

DeletedUser1016

Then Inno has to take away the ranking list. You always totally forget that in your posts. Frankly, I know the competitive nature of people drives the most sales. But if you want to dump it, go right ahead. Because the things you advocate for every time is the best way for people to have lousy scores. Look at your own after all this time. It is awful.

I totally agree with Bobbykitty - I think Katwijk is missing the boat when assessing the actions of Inno. Katwijk - I think in all your examples you are talking about players like me? Slow & steady with a balanced city. [well, I like to think so...lol].......If that's so you are totally off base with your assessment of how this game is being developed! I have not payed a dime into this game, - yet I am on the Orc/Goblin chapter and just 20kp away from building the portal; I am on ring 9 and 10 in the world map, so I am just encountering the orc/province issue [stupid in my opinion]; I have a small & efficient city with all the different manufactories at nearly max value; I have many of the original Ancient Wonders; and I'm in the top 500 in rank.

Please note I have not spent a shiny penny - my point is....what happens if I had purchased diamonds? If I can make it this far and on, what you call is the "so called" approach in balanced playing, then what do players do if they DO buy diamonds? Of course they are going to surpass me....

...so what are these paying players suppose to do if you keep stopping them from moving forward by continually changing the game and putting up these road blocks to slow them down? Again, if I can keep up without paying, what did the developers think would happen if you allowed paying players? Surely this was tested in BETA?????? It's inevitable that these "aggressive" paying customers want rank! And they should be allowed to have it. Players like you and me may not - but that's okay - we are not all the same like robots....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser61

PolarBear.jpg

Frankly, I know the competitive nature of people drives the most sales.
That's only true for the Achiever class, and they'll run the steeplechase just because it's there. That's what they LIKE to do. The Explorers, Socialites, and Control Freaks are far less concerned with scores. The responsibility of the developers is to BALANCE the game, so that the achievers, and everybody else, can follow any of several paths and still score well.

The corrections usually feel like Whack-A-Mole to the folks who are chasing the flavor of the month, so they scream and wave their arms and get all upset, but the REALITY is that the reining in the worst 10% of the maximal/excessive/abusive/exploitative techniques is EASIER than shoring up the 90% of the game that's falling behind.

At it's core, pushing the envelope is what City Building is all about, so the Achievers are doing us all a great service, because they're ensuring that the entire game is playable.

DeletedUser627

At one point, balancing the game was a priority for developers. I can prove this - having just worked a secondary city through mid-dwarven. I used 3 builders and zero diamonds and ZERO Wonders. KP was the perfect speed driver - as originally intended. My builders remained busy without any delays. I never had an excess of KP that was lost. I never was either short of goods nor building excess. I negotiated all my provinces (about 150), and steadily have built an unused army so they'll benefit from the Dwarven and Fairy unit upgrades. By steadily negotiating, I always had an available expansion for the opening Research. The whole city building process rolled out like silk from a spool.

That kind of balance doesn't happen accidentally - it was well-planned.

My point here, Katwijk, is that the devs have thrown this excellent balance out the window. The Academy and early Wonders shortcircuit the flow - by co-opting KP and expansions. To think that they're unaware of this would be absurd; I'm sure they did so with a clear purpose in mind.

And just what is accomplished by these changes? Early players will now spend diamonds on Rune Shards and Expansions, of course. We're far past the point where a balanced game is a significant priority for devs - based on what we're currently seeing.

And as for a "cap" - it's not a cap when, well, it's not a cap. If it were a cap, one wouldn't be able to buy a way around it - it would be a cap. Duh. Well, I'll take that back. It is a cap for - folks who don't pay. But that has nothing to do with balancing the game.