• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Need help with military town.

DeletedUser24212

Hi guys/gals, I've recently gotten into the game again with the newest world harandar, and I want to take a different approach.

I normally always go hard on trade goods, and almost completely ignore military, however this time I want to dedicate to a fully functional military town, however I have a ton of questions(I've gotten up to the dwarven chapter before, but that was a while ago.) I'm also a human city.

1. How many good factories should I have? I'm boosted in marble/crystal/gems, I was thinking 4/4/2.

2. How many workshops/armories? I'm pretty active currently, so I want to push progression as much as I can, before in a few months where I won't be as active. I'm not sure how many here, so asking.

3. Every chapter has x/y provinces you can explore, before you explore the recommended amount for that chapter. Am I able to push further than these recommended amounts with military? I remember reading somewhere you can beat 5x your squad size with manual combat

4. Could someone explain how you actually manually fight properly? I've never fought manually, only auto-fight, so I'm not sure how it really works, and how to best use it. I wouldn't worry about it much, but I'm told you can save a lot more troops in tourneys/can push provinces harder doing so

Thats all, if there's anything else you think is important please feel free to add, I'm trying my best to understand military functions in this game.

PS: I know human cities are supposed to expand long, but how long before I should start squaring out wide?

Thanks folks

Mykan

Oh Wise One
1. How many good factories should I have? I'm boosted in marble/crystal/gems, I was thinking 4/4/2.

Work on squares not factory numbers, too many variables can make factory numbers inaccurate and factory numbers vary by chapter, squares don't. Work on roughly a minimum of 40 squares of factory space per tier (put in factories until you have at least 40). That will leave you plenty for military and wonders and you still have room to add in something extra for where you identify gaps in your own situation. Some people also often go 60,60,40 squares for T1/2/3 but unsure at what point they start that as it wont be chapter 2 or 3. If you buy expansions then those numbers can go up.

2. How many workshops/armories? I'm pretty active currently, so I want to push progression as much as I can, before in a few months where I won't be as active. I'm not sure how many here, so asking.

These can vary a lot depending on your approach. Armouries typically you would want enough to keep barracks running 24/7, that number depends on what your longest inactive time is and will vary by player and chapter/tech. At a guess you want to build the queue up to around 8hrs+ with 12hrs been pretty comfortable. It will take time to get there early on, the big towns I see with lots of military vary between 4-6 armouries. You will need to be constantly tweaking and adjusting the number to suit your game style and space.

Workshops are another one that is incredibly hard to give a specific number on. Back in the day 8 workshops (6 if lots of 3hr collects) , 2/3 armouries and the factory space above was enough, but so much has changed since then. Assuming non-magic workshops I would aim for 5 and plan to use PoP spells from tournaments. Very early on you likely want a lot of workshops to get supplies going and they are a major resource in tournaments. Once you get more established and have a good supply of PoP spells you can start reducing that number. Use of PoP spells and to a lesser degree supply instants will have a big impact on your needs. This also varies as your armouries evolve.

3. Every chapter has x/y provinces you can explore, before you explore the recommended amount for that chapter. Am I able to push further than these recommended amounts with military? I remember reading somewhere you can beat 5x your squad size with manual combat

2 times your squad size is designed to be impossible fight. Combat in provinces is broken in early chapters, very quickly you will need to negotiate. If you stick to min provinces your military comes back in to play around chapters 4-6. Research options SS makes this quicker but has implications o tournaments. To begin with I would go minimum provinces and let your military start to find its feet, then from there just decide what is comfortable as you push further beyond min. Like do you clear all the blue provinces, all the green, etc. Patience is key with this aspect.

4. Could someone explain how you actually manually fight properly? I've never fought manually, only auto-fight, so I'm not sure how it really works, and how to best use it. I wouldn't worry about it much, but I'm told you can save a lot more troops in tourneys/can push provinces harder doing so

It tends to be experience, trial and error. You have to learn how the AI behaves and manipulate it as well as use terrain to your advantage, etc. Due to time I would auto-fight in the vast majority of cases. Tournaments become a function of how many troops you can mass produce, the more troops the more you do in tournaments. If you go slower on world map provinces initially combat is a non issue there, have enough patience and you end up with lots and lots of blue fights that are near "free" even with auto-combat

Edit: I should have mentioned don't stress over military or negotiate in terms of provinces and tournaments too early on. Do what you must to achieve the long term goals. Your scouting strategy will have a big impact as will optional tech strategy and unlocking the military techs. Do what you can in terms of military prior to chapter 5, but you will be wanting to bring it all together more and more from chapter 5 onwards. As the game progresses and your military gets stronger your dependence on economy gets less and less. Also got to figure out your wonder approach, a whole threads discussion by itself :p

Last edited:

EarthbornIcarus

Hi!
Does anyone know why the Spire of Eternity doesn't show up yet in the new world, Harandar?

The Event quest asks for it to be used...even tho they offer another choice...
just curious when we will see it in the new world.

Fayeanne

My personal advice on manual fighting is to pay attention to attack and movement ranges. Careful unit placement will cut down on your losses (and is one thing the AI is pretty bad at). A few examples:
  • Remember you can see the enemy movement range when you point at an enemy on your turn (but not his attack range; these you'll have to learn over time; you can look them up on the information card, but there's no way to view them visually).
  • Be careful not to trap your own units; keep in mind the turn order and which units will be moving after your current one (and where they will be trying to go).
  • Crossbowmen can stay forever outside the range of most Heavy Melee (except for those with 2 range) but they have to be careful not to be cornered.
  • Priests can shoot outside retaliation range of Mist Walkers (one of the common counter units), but only when shooting at the Priest's maximum range. It can be easy to accidentally step too close and you want to avoid retaliations as much as possible.
  • Paladins have an attack range of 2. Make use of this. They can attack outside of retaliation range of all Light Melee (that I've ever seen) and most Heavy Melee. They can poke things over terrain obstacles. They can attack over each other.
  • Try to get Orc Strategists as soon as possible (you can craft a building that produces them at the Magic Academy) as they are much better than your Mortars at least for a long while. Use Mortars on Light Melee and for situations where their long range is helpful. I like to mix in Mortars with other support units.

qaccy

Reading these posts kinda makes me wish I had the time to try starting out in a new city. So much has changed since I first started that I have no idea what it's like to be a player working their way up anymore...