• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Hello New to the Forum

Masheta

Been playing for a few years now and having difficulty recruiting. I have read about and been approached by other FS's, but am not about 'poaching' players. Can someone share some tips on recruiting new players?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe adjust your level of "no poaching" rule? Maybe don't poach an active FS, but one where the AM is inactive? Recruiting is hard™ already. It's super hard to find players to fill your camp with that are just sitting around NOT in a fellowship. Most people that apply to join mine are in existing fellowship but looking to change. Most of the established players are in this category. They know you can switch after tourney and before new Spire, so most contact you while they are still in old FS. If you think asking someone in an existing fellowship is wrong, then you've lost this whole group of people looking to move. The ones that aren't in a FS are usually raw new players, but I don't think I'm taking them anymore with the new chap 5 changes since we are a Spire-centric FS. They really have a hard time adjusting to Spire now with it not unlocked until Chap 5. I'm finding the investment time/growth period not rewarding for the FS. You can warn them 1000x they need way more T1s and they tell you they're fine and not short on T1s. Well, yeah...you can get by with 2 factories doing nothing for 5 chapters, but now you suddenly you need like 8 to climb. I used to recruit raw new players all the time because if you mold them from the beginning, then they can Spire from chap 3 on. Now it takes them weeks to finally reach chap 5, only to cry they can't do the Spire and you have to boot them bc they're not the right fit. Waste of everyone's time.

If you don't have a Spire requirement, I would still recruit the new players. they grow to medium sized players pretty fast. They'll also stick around longer if they "grew up" with you. The forum isn't that effective for recruiting because most people are already in a FS and there aren't that many eyes on it unless they randomly direct eyes here from in-game notifications. It is effective however, if you make friends here. We refer players to each other all the time. Even if we're not playing in the same world, someone in your fellowship might have another city in the world your friend's playing in.

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
Been playing for a few years now and having difficulty recruiting. I have read about and been approached by other FS's, but am not about 'poaching' players. Can someone share some tips on recruiting new players?
I'm a new member since Dec 2022. When I was searching for a FS, the one that won me over had a very Friendly, Uplifting Description. So as a player, that is my simple solution. :cool:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I'm a new member since Dec 2022. When I was searching for a FS, the one that won me over had a very Friendly, Uplifting Description. So as a player, that is my simple solution. :cool:
Yeah, make your description unique and also remember to include any minimum requirements if you have them. Vet your players so they fit your defined goals/style for the FS. Some people just post they are looking with not even a fellowship name. Make it easier for people to find you :)

Genefer

I don't understand the notion of poaching from a Fellowship - the player is not owned by the Fellowship and if they are happy with their fellowship they won't leave. Poaching is not an accurate term to use because poaching is essentially theft and you cannot steal a player from a fellowship, because the fellowship does not own it.

If I were an AM experiencing a pattern of players leaving when invited by another Fellowship - I would ask them why. Obviously, if what they are after is not something the AM is willing to work toward, they should wish them well and play on.

I wouldn't exclude inviting anyone - they are not owned, and they can decide for themselves if they want to move to a new Fellowship or not. Though be sure not invite the AM of the fellowship lol

Genefer

Yes, be very clear in the overview, and to retain members be diligent about enforcing Expectations. I would never stay in a fellowship with requirements that were not enforced.

Also, I will never join another "casual" Fellowship, unless there is a minimum tournament required for participating in the tournament, because without fail - there are always players that take advantage of the work and tournament effort by 1/2 the fellowship by completing a few provinces. If they don't want to play the tournament that's fine in a casual FS, but it is not ok to take advantage of members of the fellowship.

I consider these types of players toxic to a fellowship, because they drive away the members that are actually participating in the team not simply using the team.

So, perhaps think of it not as poaching but rather as providing an opportunity for a player to enjoy playing the game.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Thank you for the input. I have started recruiting newer players and will try poaching.
I think you are confusing "poaching" with "recruiting." "Poaching" is when you try to sway the best players from really active fellowships where their AM is trying hard to keep everyone happy, just because you want the best players for yourself. "Recruiting" is asking players in dismal fellowships with many inactive players if they'd rather play in a more active fellowship where they can earn tourney chests for their efforts.

There's a huge difference. It's like calling a person who shops with coupons a "thief" simply because they are getting free items. They are doing the right thing. If they get that free item off the shelf and stick it in their purse without a coupon, THEN they are thieves.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
Though be sure not invite the AM of the fellowship lol
100% disagree with this, if you find a dead or dying fs asking the AM to join is not a bad thing. They may be trying to build/rebuild or they may be unhappy and ready to throw in the towel, you won't know unless you ask. Just make sure you have enough room for all active players in the FS, so you are not asking the AM to abandon players who stuck with them.