• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New tournament versus AW's

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Ever worked out the math on what sort of bonus is needed for this to change? my culture bonus is normally 300%
There are too many variables to give a blanket statement but at the end of chapter 15,
a level 6 EE beats +300% culture. (3hx5+9h)
a level 13 EE beats +300% culture if Magic Workshop and Magic Residence (3hx5+9h)

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
I have not sold any wonders, but I have always tried to be picky about which ones to build in the first place as I know I would hate selling levelled wonders.

So far I have all fighting and pop ones plus PT for supplies (start chapter 12). And even though I know it may hurt my tourney scores I still work hard on levelling those I have. And then I just hope it won't hurt my ability to tourney too much...

Deleted User - 3932582

In terms of the OP I have heard of many players deleting wonders due to the new tourny but what works for one player wont work for another. In terms of tournament only and mostly combat, perhaps:
Surprisingly enough, I agree pretty much with everything in this ranking. Just a couple of differences:

- SSS I wouldn't consider an absolute must have. Free barracks troops are pretty much irrelevant, and training size - if needed - you can get with extra armories if you already have space (established players with committed expansions). Extra armories do not create tournament penalty.

Pretty much all "makes sense" I'd move into "debatable/situational" for the same reason as above. If you already have space, you don't want to save it at the cost of tournament penalty.

ToS would probably go to Ignore. ETC would move up to situational because MM boosts can save you tons of space on production if necessary.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Surprisingly enough, I agree pretty much with everything in this ranking. Just a couple of differences:

- SSS I wouldn't consider an absolute must have. Free barracks troops are pretty much irrelevant, and training size - if needed - you can get with extra armories if you already have space (established players with committed expansions). Extra armories do not create tournament penalty.

Pretty much all "makes sense" I'd move into "debatable/situational" for the same reason as above. If you already have space, you don't want to save it at the cost of tournament penalty.

ToS would probably go to Ignore. ETC would move up to situational because MM boosts can save you tons of space on production if necessary.

I like the suggestions, have made some tweaks to the list. ToS I have left as situational as it outperforms a ws for much of the game, like endless excavation it will have its place in some builds and not others. ETC I have kept as ignore due to the combat focused nature of the list. With some more attention to economy some of the wonders choices could move about.

The other debateable aspect is what chapter do you stop in as a bunch of wonders could vanish from the list as a result of where to stop. While you could go to the point of getting all troop upgrades does that benefit offset the increased costs? Does this vary by race, as in could one race stop sooner than the other in the tech tree?

edeba

A good list except for the Endless Excavation which is an absolutely awesome wonder that basically, every city should have since it makes more supplies per square than a workshop.
You totally need to quantify under the conditions to make that statement true. People have won magic workshops in the spire so magic workshops need to be looked at in that calculation.

SoggyShorts

You totally need to quantify under the conditions to make that statement true. People have won magic workshops in the spire so magic workshops need to be looked at in that calculation.
Just PoP actually. Even a magic workshop making bread with 200% culture doesn't beat a moderately leveled EE.

Running PoP spells 24/7 beats the EE in most scenarios though.

edeba

I have recently been rethinking my dislike for the Blooming Trader. 30-40% increase in settlement production would be quite good in the painfully long slog through Chapter 17. Previous chapters have been fairly easily completed with time instants and PP, making the Bee unnecessary but unfortunately Inno has done a "good" job reducing PP impact and increasing the amount of time instants used in troop production.
Totally appreciate the use of quotes there...

edeba

One can't even say free to play towns anymore as inno has mergerd the gap between free and pay towns that it is crazy easy for a free town to have several blue buildings and never pay any $ and with new tourny upgrade them for free forever.
Inno has really made it highly questionable as to why you would spend money on the game. They have no ethics and just change code to take away benefit of purchases, and some purchases actually appear to be regressive.

I just don't get the logic. I'm didn't miss making an extra purchase on events when they had the time instants as prizes. I didn't use them efficiently, I just liked them. Now I use them efficiently because they decided they were a problem in events so I'm way, way, way less like to make a purchase for events and it has done nothing but take away from enjoyment of of the game.

I don't understand why they go so far out of their way to create cognitive dissonance and distain for making in-game purchases, but they do seem bent on this totally anti-player-friendly strategy. I think we've lost another big spender in my FS this week. We shall see, but the player hasn't been on since an angry rant earlier in the week... Way to go Inno, way to go. I've never known such half-baked and thick-headed strategy in my life.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
People talk a lot about the supplies from the EE, but I have mine at level 11 for another good, though situational, reason. The bonus relics I get from it when completing a province. I cannot count the number of times those extra relics made it easier to complete relic quests in events. This is especially true in later chapters when you may have fewer scouted provinces available to complete because the scout time is so long and you do not want to burn time instants to complete one.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
People talk a lot about the supplies from the EE, but I have mine at level 11 for another good, though situational, reason. The bonus relics I get from it when completing a province. I cannot count the number of times those extra relics made it easier to complete relic quests in events. This is especially true in later chapters when you may have fewer scouted provinces available to complete because the scout time is so long and you do not want to burn time instants to complete one.

I always found it handy for that reason too, but am doing less and less events due to less and less prize quality. The reduced effort seems to nicely offset the reduced prizes. Regardless an EE for relics is pointless in terms of tournaments, while the reduced tournmanet might stop people stocking up the thousands and active tourny player will still accumulate relics. That same person would not want the imposition of increased SS just for the odd random relic in a quest, they would sooner time those quests for tourny relics.

SoggyShorts

Sorry I have to ask, was there a change I did not realize that is related to AW level?
Your Squad size and the enemies squad size was previously based on just the squad size techs you had taken and the province/star you were fighting in.

Now the formula is (expansions x Boost% x Total technologies x total AW levels)

So, adding an AW level means that you and the enemy will bring more troops to every single fight. This results in a higher number of casualties who will need to be replaced.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
The impact on people who go out less than 20 provinces in the tournaments is none existant to minimal.

Well no it isn't, but it is if your small enough SS that your barracks, instants, etc can keep up. With a 1000% variance potentially there is a wide variety of experience possible between province 15-20ish and worse after that. We have members whose army gets wiped out in 15 provinces and theya re catering to try and keep up. Yet a small town can go out 25 provinces with no issue. There is way too much variance to have generic statements with certain aspects of the new system.

maeter75

Ok so does that mean all the optional squad upgrades that I and most people skipped should now be researched?? Any benefit to doing that.

Total technologies , is that what level you are in the Tech Tree?

Pheryll

Set Designer

Ok so does that mean all the optional squad upgrades that I and most people skipped should now be researched?? Any benefit to doing that.

Total technologies , is that what level you are in the Tech Tree?

There is no penalty to optional squad size technologies. The benefit is in better world map fighting (more troops can be brought in) and in boosting wonders that rely on SS for their calculation (troop production + dwarven bulwark training size).

Total technologies is technically the total of all mandatory technologies (techs that are required for other techs) and it is exponential not linear (that is 1.0045^(number of mandatory techs).

Henroo

Oh Wise One
The impact on people who go out less than 20 provinces in the tournaments is non existant to minimal.
Got to disagree with this. Before tournament format changed, I was doing all 6 rounds of the first 9 provinces. Then I was doing 2 rounds of every other other available province. At the time the format changed, I was doing between 22 to 25 provinces a week, depending on what I had available. After the new format started, I tend to have trouble winning fights somewhere between round 15 to round 17 of the tournament. Depending on the week it is.

Last edited:

Silver Lady

I’m at the end of Fairies and I love the one click format. I’ve found that usually the first 9 provinces all rounds are currently pretty easy to do, however starting with 10 first round and up my ability to fight varies a lot. One week I’m ok and the next I lose almost every time. I’m lucky that my FS plays for fun and doesn’t push for 10 chests and/or lots of points. Oh, I play on a tablet so from previous discussions I understand that this makes my fights weighted more towards my enemies. What I’m trying to get to and doing badly, is that there has been a lot of info posted in this thread and I appreciate it. Hopefully I’ll have enough time and wit to digest it so I don’t make my ability to fight any worst than can possibly be helped.

Iyapo1

There is way too much variance to have generic statements with certain aspects of the new system
fine.

@maeter75 I looked you up on elvenstats. Given your score history in the tournaments, these changes should have had a positive affect on you and players like you. As long as you, specifically, do not start kp farming and going out 20+ provinces the changes will have no negative affect on you or your city.

As you are in chapter 16, I dont imagine that you will suddenly up and decide you need to be in the top 100.

maeter75

fine.

@maeter75 I looked you up on elvenstats. Given your score history in the tournaments, these changes should have had a positive affect on you and players like you. As long as you, specifically, do not start kp farming and going out 20+ provinces the changes will have no negative affect on you or your city.

As you are in chapter 16, I dont imagine that you will suddenly up and decide you need to be in the top 100.

Ok this is great to hear!!!

I was most concerned about all those optional upgrades, I was thinking it would be great to research the optional squad upgrades for my Maxed Shrine of Shrooms, a lot more free troops is very appealing!