• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Next question: Mana Decay... How does it work?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 841850
  • Start date

Deleted User - 841850

To start: I've been looking at Gamers Gems site and there is a depiction of a Weeping Willow with Headings of Additional Culture, Time Remaining, Duration Bonus, and Production, however my WW's only have the last heading, what's up with that? While I have a feeling it's because I just started and don't have any other buildings, since that's not mentioned anywhere I'm a little .concerned.

Next part: I am a little confused about how to calculate the mana decay, Gamers Gems mentioned that every 24 hours you will lose 10% of your product and once they started talking about percents my brain closed up shop. I get calculus better than I do basic math ( I think that I mentioned this fact when asking about trying to figure out how to calculate productions in Orcs and Goblins, I did survive that nightmare but now want to know,if they are trying to make me crazy with this math., If, so it's working!:) and am particularly lousy at percents, so i'm not looking forward to having to use them to play the game, not at all what I consider fun, enjoyable entertainment, more like thumb screws! So if anyone could do a piece on Mana For Dummies I'd really appreciate it.

DeletedUser4699

At the top of your game screen, to the right of your KP bar, is where your 'Standard Goods' and 'Other Resources' are displayed. Your total mana is shown under 'Other Resources'. It is from there that you will be able to calculate your mana decay.
For example, if you have 10,000 total mana, you will lose 1,000 mana to decay.
If you have 100,000 mana, you will lose 10,000.
By moving the decimal to the left by one numeral, you will get the 10% decay amount. So, if you have 107,940 mana - you will lose 10,794 mana.

Also, mana production caps at 15 hours on your WW's, so make sure you're collecting from them at least that often.
Hope this helps a bit.

DeletedUser9601

I'm beginning to see the light, while I still have a math migraine, it's receding. Hey, I just might be able to do this, thanks for the advice.
Mana is as much an art as it is a science. When I first started playing, I tried to map how much mana I'd produce vs. how much I'd use, etc.
The reality is though, with decay, with random collection times, and with guest race good costs, its hard to exactly plan how much you need. In reality, I had a lot of success following the guides of having 6-8 Weeping Willows to start off Woodelves, and then making additions (or choosing event buildings) as I progressed based on my instincts.

Deleted User - 841850

Cool, thanks to "Gamers Guide" and with the help of about 50 level 1 workshops and recyclable quests, I was able to build 8 WW's within a day or 2 of completing the research, so it looks promising in that aspect.
However the other thing that "Gamers Guide" tells you is that when collecting mana from the WW's you should avoid doing so until after the decay time but before the maximum accrual time. Whaaat?

The reality is though, with decay, with random collection times, and with guest race good costs, its hard to exactly plan how much you need. In reality, I had a lot of success following the guides of having 6-8 Weeping Willows to start off Woodelves, and then making additions (or choosing event buildings) as I progressed based on my instincts.

Thanks for your advice I totally get what you are saying and I'm probably going to go with your suggestion.but anyway would like to know what in the world they are talking about and how do you figure it out. I like to have all the information and try to understand a concept,just to leave my options open in case I change my mind about my course of action. Anyone care to explain this part of the decay tutorial?

DeletedUser9601

However the other thing that "Gamers Guide" tells you is that when collecting mana from the WW's you should avoid doing so until after the decay time but before the maximum accrual time. Whaaat?
Its an overly complicated suggestion that really isn't necessary unless you're trying to set some sort of world record for "fastest time through Woodelves," or something else silly.

I think that your WW lets you collect mana any time between hour 5 and hour 15. So hour 5 hits at 10pm. You could collect right before you go to bed (let's say that gives you 100 mana). But, if you collect and go to bed, at 3am (or whatever) your mana gets knocked down to 90 mana, due to 10% decay.

The better option is to NOT collect at 10pm, let the WWs keep accruing mana all night (and you have zero mana, so you suffer no decay) and then collect at 8am (at hour 15). Now you have 300 mana, and suffered no decay (vs having 290 mana, and lost 10 mana to decay). That's what they mean when they talk about maximum accrual time.

The overall advice is good one: mainly, wait to collect mana until the point you're absolutely sure that you won't go OVER that maximum timer. Its the same as collecting gold. But it is also only a very marginal improvement.

But the reality is:
1. You are rarely sure you won't go over the timer, unless you play on a VERY regimented schedule.
2. Chances are you have immediate mana needs, so you're probably collecting when available.
3. You probably don't care enough to spend the extra 5% brain power to eke out every ounce of mana, because at the end of the day, you saved 1/3% of mana.
4. Lots of mana buildings have much shorter maximum accrual times (like 6 hours). So unless you're a night owl who plays well past midnight server time, most of these decision points are moot, because all the best times to collect are when you're fast asleep.

Does that make sense?

Deleted User - 841850

Thanks.
That makes things much easier, uncomplicated is so my style!:)