• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

No longer "need" Endless Excavation?

MagicPagan

I'm in Chapter 13 in all four of my cities. In one FS, there was a chat discussion yesterday among some higher level players about no longer needing their EE and selling it. I have an EE in each city, and they range from level 12 to 18.

For a player with a lot of magic workshops and in need of space, I can kind of see that logic. It made me wonder if in some of my cities, that might be something I'd think of also. (One of my cities does not have a lot of magic workshops, and I don't buy those with diamonds, I wait to see if I can't win one in spire.)

The same was also said about Prosperity Towers, but I don't see getting rid of that because of the increase on PoP effect and duration of PoP spells.

Am I hopelessly clueless about the notion of "outgrowing" (that was one of the words used in the discussion) the need for an EE?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
If you have all the relics you could possibly use, and/or are no longer completing a lot of provinces, it' doesn't add much. I have no workshops to speak of and don't miss the supplies it may produce, I take about a week to scout so I can't finish provinces very often, and I have all the relics I could possibly use for a long, long time. If I had built it, it would have been gone a long, long time ago.

AJ

MagicPagan

If you have all the relics you could possibly use, and/or are no longer completing a lot of provinces, it' doesn't add much. I have no workshops to speak of and don't miss the supplies it may produce, I take about a week to scout so I can't finish provinces very often, and I have all the relics I could possibly use for a long, long time. If I had built it, it would have been gone a long, long time ago.

AJ
Where are you getting supplies?

Soleil Nightbloom

For myself personally, the EE along with the ToS is one of my least favorite wonders. Every time I place it in my city, I'm always disappointed and wonder why it's even there, then turnaround and sell it again. Most players love it and find it very useful, unfortunately, I'm not a fan.

However, it's one of the wonders I use to get through rune phase and that's it. I prefer the prosperity towers (PT) instead. It gives me way more supplies with supply pickups every 3hrs vs daily pickups with EE. Plus, the PT prolongs the power of provision spell on my maxed workshops.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Am I hopelessly clueless about the notion of "outgrowing" (that was one of the words used in the discussion) the need for an EE?
I think this is totally dependent on your city build and personal game goals. I’m on the other end of the spectrum: I never bothered building the EE when I was lower chapters, because it wasn’t an efficient use of space for me. Somewhere in ch. 10 or early 11, however, I realized that even at level 1, it was finally going to provide me more supplies daily than a Magic Workshop, so I swapped a MW out for it. I’m in 12 now and don’t foresee getting rid of it any time soon because, unlike a workshop, it doesn’t need population, doesn’t change size and shape, and boosts my seed production in the Trader. The only downsides are that I can’t sparkle it or rush the production, but I’ve tried to set my city up so that I don’t need to do either of those things regularly anyway, so that’s no big loss for my particular city build.

I have heard that there’s a big jump in the production of workshops somewhere, chapter 15 maybe? So that might be where people decided it was no longer worthwhile. Personally, my current viewpoint is that I’m finding it very useful for quests that ask for relics (which are going to come up no matter what chapter someone’s in), and if I end up with a huge excess of supplies at some point in the chapters because of upgrades, well, that’s just more goods from the wholesaler!

I certainly think it’s possible to “outgrow” wonders, or simply have a shift in your gameplay that renders one no longer as useful to you particularly. But I think those need to be based on considerations of what exactly is going on in your city, not what everyone else says about it. :)

Mykan

Oh Wise One
like everything it depends on your city build and priorities. If relics are important to you then it is unlikely to be outgrown, depending on a couple other factors. If you have it simply for supplies it is very possible for it to become useless. The other area it can remain interesting is in terms of score, wonders are great for score and the wonder levels help with a couple other things.

When you first start the game the EE outproduces a normal workshop, so it is quite handy plus the extra relics when exploring is very fast and you need them for boosts. What reduces its potential is:
  • Max relic boosts - less need for the relic bonus
  • Increase in or all magic WS town
  • Culture bonus
  • Use of EE spells
  • Use of PoP spells
  • Prosperity tower level
  • Chapter in game - workshops get a big boost later in the game.
When I chat to someone in my FS with a level 35 EE and the supplies they get it just doesn't compare to my WS production. I get 6.5M supplies every 9hrs from 1 WS and I don't need or care for the relics. I haven't ruled it out for my town but too much else to focus on for now. I know someone else who designed their town to use 0 WS and for them the EE was an excellent choice and provided the vast majority of their supply needs.

How you use supplies and the other buildings (event, evolves) also can impact its usefulness as does your activity in the game.

Last edited:

Fayeanne

I'm seriously considering selling mine in one city (and already sold it a while ago in another). I almost always have more supplies than I know what to do with, so while the supplies help sometimes during events to get past quests that want lots of supplies (while my Workshops are tied up producing Advanced Tools for other quests...), I have little use for them otherwise. So really the only benefit I am getting out of the EE I have that remains is using it for event quests (both supplies and relics). But that does strike me as kind of silly reason to keep around such a large building. (Of course inertia is also a part because if I sold it and changed my mind I'd have to level it back up again...)

Last edited:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I don't use it at all anymore. I only did at very beginning chapters. I let it go quickly once I got my Prosperity Towers and love it and will never let my PT go. Like many also said though, depends on your playing style.

Ariel Greensleeves

I would never ever sell a wonder, as you can't get it back and it would drop your score, plus decrease any bonuses from other wonders that depend on total #AW levels.
I didn't even realize the EE gave relic bonuses. LOL Don't need those anymore. In Ch 15 I seemed to have far too many supplies and was actually building units just to use supplies rather than making supplies to build units. I couldn't even collect all the supplies I was making from EE and PT. I finally decided to store a magic workshop (I had 4, now only 3) and replace with 3 level 1 wkshops for quest purposes. We shall see if this is a good balance.