• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Online idea

DeletedUser

I would like to submit an idea on having a way to "see" if other players are online,
especially fellowship members.
Maybe a star that is lights up by their name?
Or their name lights up when they are on?
This would help so much with communication.
Also possibly a World Chat?
Where we can chat with people in our realm ?
I think this would get people to play more.
The more that people play, the better for the game and the players !
It would be fairly easy to add a World Chat tab next to fellowship chat.
This is a social setting type game and I really do think it would get people to play and stay online.
Which would generate more revenue for game, and make it more fun ! :)

DeletedUser

A world chat including everyone might get a little too hectic (not sure on that), so perhaps the addition of different chat rooms that anyone in the world could join and participate in?

DeletedUser

Or perhaps a chat for only those neighbors you have discovered???

Katwijk, I don't know where you learn all this stuff, but I'm awful glad you share it!!!

Oh, and if such an online indicator is implemented, there would have to be a way for a player to override their status.

DeletedUser61

perhaps the addition of different chat rooms that anyone in the world could join and participate in?
Or simply use Skype, which works quite nicely as a chat room.

I'm very reluctant to include a bunch of half-vast features that are not core to gaming, when excellent solutions are already available, even though they aren't "in-game."

if such an online indicator is implemented, there would have to be a way for a player to override their status
I think it has something to do with being a millennial, but I DO NOT want to be at the beck and call of everybody who thinks that they need to talk to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Or simply use Skype, which works quite nicely as a chat room.
I'm not one of them, but many people like to remain anonymous, or simply keep their identities separate between games and real life, so while that suggestion is in character with your usual snark, it is not a viable option for most.

DeletedUser594

A world chat including everyone might get a little too hectic (not sure on that), so perhaps the addition of different chat rooms that anyone in the world could join and participate in?
Forge of Empires, also by inno, has far more active players and a world chat that works just fine. It was a bit hectic when launched but simmered down and became more of a rotation of regulars. They have a whisper option as well which is far superior to the one here (where you type /w name) . Ours is a lot of typing and if you forget to add it every sentence then whatever you just wrote is out of whisper and in the general chat. Of course Elvenar is a much younger game so I imagine much of what we experience in these stages will be completely different in a year or two as the game continues to take shape.

DeletedUser61

so while that suggestion is in character with your usually snark, it is not a viable option for most.
  • Pointing out that viable options already exist is NOT snarky.
  • Speculation about why nobody has included you in their group? Would be.

DeletedUser

I have played many games and world chat has just increased player activity. Having a world chat doesn't mean you have to chat, you can still remain anonymous, it just lets you interact more with people. And a local world chat is exactly what i mean ! A realm chat if you will. This is a social game after all. lol.....Neighborly help, trades, can't get more social than that lol.........again no one would be forcing anyone to chat or not remain anonymous. And it really is not hard to do as far as the G.O.D.s go (Game Operation Directors lol ). A friend of mine who works for Lionsgate says it is pretty simple, especially since there is a chat mod already running.

DeletedUser188

The fellowship chat is part of the game and sometime in the future they will add a tab for global chat
If some people ( you know who) are going to assume that the devs will implement an idea in Elvenar just because the feature already exists in FoE
Then this one is a no brainer it is going to happen

DeletedUser61

this one is a no brainer it is going to happen
Sorry to disappoint, but Global Chat is a TERRIBLE idea.
  • You must have a /report function, and the Game Moderators have to watch the channel, for reasons of liability and due diligence.
  • You'll need a /watch function, or else the activity flag will be lite constantly, and will thereby be useless
  • You'll need an /ignore function, and it can be a long list
  • You need some way to /unignore selected users
  • You'll need an obscenity filter
  • How about emojis?
  • You'll need a way to block blank entries
  • You'll need a way to block frequent entries, because otherwise some fool will keep scrolling everything out of view
  • You'll WANT the ability to hyperlink URLs, BUT not for phishing sites nor for sites that violate the game rules
  • You'll WANT the ability to cut and paste, and maybe Reply/Quote, but you want to avoid fights and finger pointing that can last for days
  • You'll need a /whisper function that supports names with spaces in them so /w "First Middle Last"
  • You'll need a /r function, so that you can actually have a conversation with someone
    OR you'll need the ability to create, and maintain, multiple sessions
etc etc etc. It's NOT a trivial capability.The entire Internet Relay Chat protocol has a long sad history.

DeletedUser2453

Main point: The Chat leaves much to be desired, the simple copy, cut, and paste being missing from both chat and email makes life very difficult for fellowship communication. Also, Mail should have the ability to message multiple players or individuals within the fellowship through a simple drop down, check box type directory.

The world chat is not necessary, and clearly would create issues, but functionality should be there for people to use within the fellowship chat. Sadly there are many people who simply have no moral or otherwise common sense inhibiting their less than stellar behavior online, and redefine the word "offensive" This can be seen by some of the player names alone, some idiot named him/her self, "BigC***" I don't see where that type of behavior is needed, or called for in this game. So, the reason for not having a global chat is a result of a few who cannot hold themselves to a nouveau greater of that than a crazed, sad, troll....

DeletedUser2062

Sorry to disappoint, but Global Chat is a TERRIBLE idea.

Game chat has a purpose and that is to keep the chat in the game.
Many other games have the world chat options and you can still have the ability of just not participating in it. They work well and yes people do argue but your cannot change people and their bad behaviors. (as seen in this platform many times) SO you either ignore it or again just don't participate.
You don't need a chat moderator, you don't need emoji's (we don't have them now).
Skype and other like programs are really a bit of over kill when playing a game, besides most people like a bit of amaninity when playing a game
It would be a good place to try and recruit people for their fellowships, (not everyone has good success with this platform)
You can see who is on, help people who have gaming questions and/or provide gaming tips.
Just my opinion,
Ruby

DeletedUser61

You don't need a chat moderator .... You can see who is on,
  • The instant somebody files a Support Ticket, complaining about the behaviors in Global Chat, the Game Moderators are forced to begin monitoring chat. Even worse, it becomes a contest of sorts, wherein the miscreants keeps testing to see how far they can go. It's like inviting foxes into the henhouse.
  • Privacy is a very important concept. The very first thing you'd need is the ability to CONCEAL your on-line status, and then you'd need the ability to ignore idiots. Global Chat very nearly invites stalking and other intrusive behaviors.
You're just empowering the 8th graders, and I don't want to go there.

DeletedUser2062

The very first thing you'd need is the ability to CONCEAL your on-line status, and then you'd need the ability to ignore idiots.

These are very easy concepts, not difficult for the programmers since they have these already in the other immo games. They would just need to be modified for this one.
It is clear you are very against this idea, however there are many who would appreciate the world chat feature. It would add a dimension to the game that is clearly needed. This is a game that, to a great extent, requires you to interact with others and without world chat, inhibits your game play.
As a new player you have only to follow the quests, and are left alone to figure it out. There really is no clear direction on the importance of joining a fellowship and the only way to "chat" is via mail message unless, of coarse, you are in a fellowship.
Unless you are in a fellowship you have limited trade ability until you grow your city and the world around you. If you are lucky those around you have the ability to trade (have manufactories built) are active players, and are willing to trade with you or understand they should trade with you.

Privacy is a very important concept.

Absolutely why Skype and like programs are really a poor alternative.

Again, just my opinion, and thank you for the spirited conversation :)
Ruby

DeletedUser3387

I am new to the game but, I would like to say a world Chat would have a great benefit in game. For those who are new and would like to have help in learning the game more. I play another game and have been a Chat Mod for that game for a great while now, and I will have to say it has been beneficial to have for those just coming into the game and the tenures of the game and Mods have been able to help the new players greatly. And keeps players playing more and more. Also it helps with making new friends, and getting those questions answered right away when it takes a while to look in the wiki for the answer and even though you have that some times people getting a better answer in the game speeds things along for that new player and stops the fustrations and possible of people starting and then within 2 or maybe 3 days giving up and not coming back because they may not understand something.

I will have to agree as a Chat Mod It is sometimes rough when you get what we call Trolls in chat but there are ways work with those types of people in chat.

Sorry this is just my opinion I really like this game but, I have to say fellowships are great and all but I really feel that it is hard to join one when you really don't know which one to choose or even how those players are in those fellowships it help to have a general Chat to get to know how those people play first before joining.