• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Orcs after Elementals chapter

Marilyn*43

I have the biggest concern ever. Are orcs needed after the Elementals chapter or can you just put that race behind you. There are so many buildings that I have that produce orcs and space is scarce. Should I keep them out or place them in storage. Mana and seeds are a growing problem to keep enough specially with tournament requesting them as a trade.

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
In chapter 16, orcs are the most needed resource to make beer something for the guest race. I started that chapter with 2 million orcs and wound up going down to near zero, while still making them. And yes, orcs are needed for lots of spire and tourney rounds.

Pheryll

Set Designer
In chapter 16, orcs are the most needed resource to make beer something for the guest race. I started that chapter with 2 million orcs and wound up going down to near zero, while still making them. And yes, orcs are needed for lots of spire and tourney rounds.
I pretty much evaded that issue by going much heavier on the tea.

Mrietha

What are the best way to get/make Orcs?
I hadn't been fighting much, I prefer to negotiate, so I haven't built up my armories very far. I've mangaged to keep up with the demand for Orcs until recently when they have started showing up in provience negotations and in the Spire. I've been fighting much more and been fairly successful. But you're saying I am going to need even more soon. I just finished Elementals and and am in a holding pattern right now. I really need to revamp my city: update my culture and probably reduce its footprint as well as organzining it better. This will be a good opportunity for me to plan ahead for them.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I agree with @Darielle: Orc Nests from crafting. They're the most accessible and at Ch16, they outperform most event orc making buildings. They don't outperform fully updated armories, but they also don't cost supplies to make them. As you progress through chapters, you can craft new to upgrade them to your new chapter and just sell off the old one, thus saving RR's for other bldgs.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I hit a big Orc shortage upgrading multiple wonder levels into the 30s at the same time. But I imagine it won't be so bad once those are done.

I had a bunch of Orc Nests, but I am slowly converting to more armories because I'm going to up my Pyramid wonder to get more sentient goods out of my armories too. Therefore, even from a non-fighter perspective, having armories isn't so bad because you can get both Orcs and sentients out of them.

Flashfyre

It gives a percentage of the Orcs produced as Sentient goods. But only for those buildings that have Orc production as a Primary result (like Armories and Nests), but not those where Orcs are a Secondary result.
I have a Lvl 6 Pyramid, which gives me 60% of my Orc production in random Sentient goods; my Echoes of the Forgotten makes 3500 Orcs a day. I get 2100 of a random Sentient good when I collect them.
However, this does not work for buildings like the Witch's Hut, which gives Orcs as a bonus reward.

Pheryll

Set Designer
It gives a percentage of the Orcs produced as Sentient goods. But only for those buildings that have Orc production as a Primary result (like Armories and Nests), but not those where Orcs are a Secondary result.

Which is why I think it odd that @crackie was transitioning from orcs' nests to armories. Sentient goods should be coming from each and end game both seem to have nearly the same orc density per square.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Which is why I think it odd that @crackie was transitioning from orcs' nests to armories. Sentient goods should be coming from each and end game both seem to have nearly the same orc density per square.
I’m mostly a fighter and only cater half the Spire. The armories were needed for their training size increase functionality too. Orc Nests can’t do that. :)

I know some late chap players running on zero sentient factories and getting it all from Pyramid/armories. Will keep an eye on my army level and see if this is viable as I progress.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Orc Nests from crafting. …. They don't outperform fully updated armories, but they also don't cost supplies to make them.
Just for the record… :D The highest possible armory level in Ch.16 is 37. According to ElvenArchitect’s per-square calculator:

C791BD80-377A-43E6-A1BB-E5ABF4EFF8FD.jpeg

The Orc Nests are about 6% more efficient and that’s before taking into account that the armory also requires 6,603 population and 20,488 culture available to place it (lots of support squares!), whereas the Orc Nest doesn’t need anything beyond its basic footprint and actually provides culture. If you don’t need the training size from the Armory, go with Orc Nests every time.

@Mrietha, if you prefer to negotiate, stick with it! Most of the advice on the forum is geared toward fighters which makes it seem like it’s not possible to negotiate successfully in the higher chapters, but it absolutely is. It just requires a different mindset and type of city planning. :) (Starting with, don’t build armories for orc production… ;) )

Alram

Flippers just flip
Therefore, even from a non-fighter perspective, having armories isn't so bad because you can get both Orcs and sentients out of them.
Which non-fighters have this perspective? :oops:

@MaidenFair said it all. One armory in my fair trading city is one armory too many. :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Just for the record… :D The highest possible armory level in Ch.16 is 37. According to ElvenArchitect’s per-square calculator:

View attachment 15047
The Orc Nests are about 6% more efficient and that’s before taking into account that the armory also requires 6,603 population and 20,488 culture available to place it (lots of support squares!), whereas the Orc Nest doesn’t need anything beyond its basic footprint and actually provides culture. If you don’t need the training size from the Armory, go with Orc Nests every time.

@Mrietha, if you prefer to negotiate, stick with it! Most of the advice on the forum is geared toward fighters which makes it seem like it’s not possible to negotiate successfully in the higher chapters, but it absolutely is. It just requires a different mindset and type of city planning. :) (Starting with, don’t build armories for orc production… ;) )
Thanks, Maidenfair!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that Orc Nests also give more sentient goods per square than armories (if you have the Pyramid, that is.)

Flashfyre

Thanks, Maidenfair!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that Orc Nests also give more sentient goods per square than armories (if you have the Pyramid, that is.)
Using MaidenFair's example (and my Lvl6 Pyramid), a Chap16 Armory produces 3200 Orcs/day, or 114 per day per square.
A Chap16 Orc Nest produces 970 Orcs/day, or 121 Orcs per day per square.
My 60% Pyramid boost adds 1920 Sentient goods for the Armory pickup each day, or 68 per square.
For the Orc Nest, it gives 582 Sentients each Pickup each day, or 73 per square.

Mrietha

View attachment 15047

Thank You!
I also greatly appreciate your support.