• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Orcs in Province Sector Negotiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser43

Yes...and...your point is? Oh wait. That's right. First you told people that they needed incentives to go out and visit neighbors and you chastised people for not doing so. Now, you tell them that they need to stop seeing their neighbors. Because yeah, NOT being able to reach people on the world map will help SOOOOO much with the neighborly help situation.

It is INSANE that people need orcs to negotiate that early. What the heck do they do now? No more expansions until they reach the orc chapter? Sit there and twiddle their thumbs like players who don't even like clicking?

Yeah...let's just STOP the progress and game of these players. Maybe they will all go away too? Who needs people? Right?

Do you even remember you wrote THIS:

• The Treasure Chest's are a HUGE incentive for new players to get out into the world and discover nearby cities.
  • The Advanced Scouting Chests not only set the expectation for exploration, they ENFORCE the thresholds.
I've listed a half-dozen arrows that are ALL targeting the retention of new players who DO NOT YET have a support network.

What other techniques can you think of that would improve our retention rate?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser627

So far my Ring 10 province doesn't require Orcs. Is it above Ring 10, or including Ring 10?

DeletedUser2522

The requirement for Orcs to guard negotiated sectors doesn't even kick in until Ring 10, so 2/3*6=9^2= 4*81=334 sectors are available WITHOUT any need for Orcs.
Katwijk,
You should be proud, it's amazing that you're the resident mathematician and I'm very happy for you.
So YOU and your formula and/or the devs should now be able to dictate which direction I clear my provinces?
Or maybe I should have to pay a penalty for being able to reach ring 10 while I'm only half way through chapter V?

UGH there has to be one in every crowd!

DeletedUser2855

So this game become pay to play game ,,, How are we gonna get expansion otherwise we cant build anything till orcs then why dont you put that orcs on province with 15 points or even 20points provinces away so we can play normally??.

DeletedUser61

First you told people that they needed incentives to go out and visit neighbors
The total number of sectors is 6 times the Ring Distance Squared, which you may recognize as similar to the 2πR^2 formula for the area of a circle.
  • 9 Rings provide 324 Relic Sectors and 162 City Sectors in a pointy topped hexagon
  • The Chapter VIII Advanced Scouting Chest requires 160 Relic Sectors (and 80 City Sectors)
  • 10 Rings provide 400 Relic Sectors and 200 City Sectors in a pointy topped hexagon
  • 10 Rings are required to cover all 200 of your Trading Partners, although the apparent shape is only vaguely a flat-topped hexagon.
    -
  • Once upon a time it was possible to slide through the tech tree with very few acquired sectors. The Advance Scouting chests provided a much needed threshold.
  • The military option always has been soft capped at about 150% of what's now required for the Advanced Scouting Chests.
  • Finally, the negotiation option has been capped at about 200% of what's required for the Advanced Scouting Chests, because Orcs are required to guard the more distant of the Negotiated Sectors.
Once we reach Chapter X or so, everybody will be in the very broad middle between having enough sectors, or twice as many as they need. Consequently, there won't be any way to justify running up your score with a LOT of manufacturing, so folks will be back to making realistic choices about the development of their city, rather than designing oddball contraptions that bear no resemblance to a well balanced city. All of the quests and contests will make a lot more sense if the game encourages the development of well balanced cities.
How are we gonna get expansion otherwise
In Arendyll I have acquired 162 sectors and I've been at the end of Chapter VII for most of a month and have 10 expansions that I haven't even used. With 10 rings you can acquire TWICE as many sectors as you'll need for the development of your Orc city.

If you've somehow already eaten up the
then maybe, just maybe, you have more stuff than you need to keep up with the game, which is why the Orc soft cap has been implemented.

DeletedUser61

PolarBear.jpg

so you can play everyone's game
You don't have to try real hard to figure out where the game is imbalanced. Just look at your inventory. If folks have more STUFF than they can possibly use in the next 6 weeks, then the game is imbalanced and the developers SHOULD do something to correct the related design weaknesses.

City Builder aficionados are notorious for pushing the envelope and "breaking" the game, but you shouldn't be astonished nor dismayed when the developers react to re-balance of the game, so that it remains playable and interesting.

DeletedUser43

I can use everything I have in inventory in the next five minutes. We all can. So what are you talking about? I am YEARS away from getting all the expansions. YEARS. And you say I have excess stuff sitting around? You are talking out of your ear. It will be those same years before I get the stupid wonderless runes. And you think this game is imbalanced in the player's favor?

No one plays this game!!! Have you looked at the pathetic retention rates??? If you balance this game any further the only person here will be you.

DeletedUser61

You are calling our neighborhoods too crowded?
Nope - I quoted your claim that "No one plays this game." For some actual numbers, take a look at
BeenThere 2016G16.png
As well you know, I've been unhappy about the density of the World Map for well more than a year now, and I'm pleased that the developers have already introduced Goldmines and, as Timon indicated in yesterday's Facebook Q&A, we'll soon have the option of moving cities on the World Map.

DeletedUser2522

OK and with all due respect the "Been there done that" graph just made me belly chuckle, who does that?
Kat is obviously intelligent and educated and probably works as an engineer. Many years working in corporate management
have taught me that going back and forth is counterproductive, you can't win, there's an answer for everything.

Unfortunately with that intelligence comes an age old problem, a complete lack of common sense, can't see the forest for the trees,
if it can't fit in a formula or on a graph it doesn't exist. Also keep in mind that Albert Einstein couldn't cross the street by himself.

I'd suggest just letting it go. I wasn't trying to beat the game, I was just trying to reach some real neighbors on an empty map for strategic purposes
so that I could trade without paying ridiculous fees (which by the way is now impossible because Kat feels I'm going to fast and I should be held
back in order to keep The Force in balance.)

Made my point, done here!

DeletedUser61

if it can't fit in a formula or on a graph it doesn't exist
It sounds like you may have a Marketing background.
  • Marketing folks have the responsibility of generating interest, where there's often no good reason for being interested.
  • Engineers are all about ensuring that things DON'T get too interesting, because you'll make a lot more profit when things work well.
I wasn't trying to beat the game
  • Optimists think that the glass is half full
  • Pessimists think that the glass is half empty
  • Engineers think that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be

DeletedUser2753

I did like this one part of your post, but could not hit "like" for the whole thing.

The total number of sectors is 6 times the Ring Distance Squared, which ...is... similar to the 2πR^2 formula for the area of a circle.
  • 9 Rings provide 324 Relic Sectors and 162 City Sectors in a pointy topped hexagon
  • The Chapter VIII Advanced Scouting Chest requires 160 Relic Sectors (and 80 City Sectors)
  • 10 Rings provide 400 Relic Sectors and 200 City Sectors in a pointy topped hexagon
  • 10 Rings are required to cover all 200 of your Trading Partners, although the apparent shape is only vaguely a flat-topped hexagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.