• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Order of turns changed in manual battle?

Glandeh

I just noticed in my last spire battle that the order in which units take their turns has changed. It used to be in reverse placing order (if the units have equal initiative), now in it in placing order (so the centre unit moves first, then the one above it, then the one below center, next is topmost and finally the one at the bottom.
Was this announced or is it a bug?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Enevhar Aldarion
Agree, I thought that was what was said in the latest Q&A. The 2nd wave flipping positions was unintended and they'd be changing it. (It's confusing to me because I was around when the Spire launched, that feature was questioned and the answer was it was working as intended. Didn't care enough either way to dispute it.)
*I have no Spire battles available in any of my cities until Sunday to actually look and see what they've done there.
But I have seen something new in manual combat in tourney and map provinces: Position initiative has changed. Ex Place 5 Archers: The archer in the middle of the lineup is the first one to move. Before today, the archer at the bottom-most position on my screen moved first. They appear to now move in the order in which they were placed. Checked it in all cities & all 3 training bldg units.
So, @-Solaris- , it appears whatever they changed in regards to manual combat starting positions in Spire has also changed position initiative in the tourney and map provinces. I will need to check Sunday if that also changed in Spire.

BrinDarby

But I have seen something new in manual combat in tourney and map provinces: Position initiative has changed.
I've always thought this was all mess'd up. Constantly someone
in the behind ranks would lose thier attack because the unit in
the lead didn't move 1st, especially if the terrain isn't favorable.

This really is easily fiaxable all the way around. Picture the "pic"
screen oriented vertically and also overlay'd over a terrain map.
You pick ( in your order ) your troops into the positions, then
when battle starts any troops with the same initiative default to
the order the player picked them in.

I've litterally had 1 archer block the 2 remaining archers by
attacking 1st, when all 3 could've attacked had they attacked
in a different order. ( as they all have the same initiative ,
autofight ) or I lose that 1st archer's attack ( manual ) so that
the other 2 could attack, sometimes I lose 2 of the 3 attacks
for the same reason.

We've long ask'd for a view of terrain, before we pick our
troops, and here's a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. By
picking troops in a specific order, the player is define'n
the order of attack by alike troop units, and display'n the
terrain before picking units is the "right" way to do it.

Glandeh

@Enevhar Aldarion
Agree, I thought that was what was said in the latest Q&A. The 2nd wave flipping positions was unintended and they'd be changing it. (It's confusing to me because I was around when the Spire launched, that feature was questioned and the answer was it was working as intended. Didn't care enough either way to dispute it.)
*I have no Spire battles available in any of my cities until Sunday to actually look and see what they've done there.
But I have seen something new in manual combat in tourney and map provinces: Position initiative has changed. Ex Place 5 Archers: The archer in the middle of the lineup is the first one to move. Before today, the archer at the bottom-most position on my screen moved first. They appear to now move in the order in which they were placed. Checked it in all cities & all 3 training bldg units.
So, @-Solaris- , it appears whatever they changed in regards to manual combat starting positions in Spire has also changed position initiative in the tourney and map provinces. I will need to check Sunday if that also changed in Spire.
This was not about the 2nd wave in the spire, though that is also confusing. Before yesterday, the troops in manu battle moved from the outside to the inside. Now the one in the middle moves first, and the ones at the sides move last.
It is even worse, you now lose initiative to troops that have the same as yours and ar in the same position :(

Last edited:

BrinDarby

1700892424823.png

This is actual size of popup on my screen (borders). I have re-imagined the
"pick troops" screen as above with the following caviots. ( and remember,
I used "paint", so this is not the professional looking final version. I just want
you to see basically where stuff was replaced to. )( yes I also know in higher
levels there might be 2 rows of enemy troops vertically )

1) Just as now it will show which troops have been picked in the red areas.
2) Green areas are terrain just as we see them now.
3) L.Blue areas are where you pick your troops to. As you pick which troops,
you then insert them into 1 of the (5) L.Blue hexs. Any troops with identical
initiative, will move in the order they were pick'd.

If I was also dream'n, it would color code the iniative of my troops, so I
actually knew which would be the 1st to move, hehehe... but this is such
a big improvement over the current pick troops screen.

Gkyr

Chef
You know...war is always about adaptability.
Most everyone knows the adage: "armies always fight the last war".
(We are now seeing evidence that this not always true).

As an Elvenar gamer, you may try to fight (or regret) the way things were...
...or, you may act as a warrior and, as the US marines say, "improvise, adapt, overcome."
I, for one, welcome shifting challenges. Some complain that the game has gotten boring.
Well...in this small aspect, that is not the case. Enjoy.