• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Our Souls at Night - Various Spoiler Warnings!

Moho

Chef
My wife and I watched Our Souls at Night last night. We wanted to watch a romantic movie and it's hard to find good ones, which can please us both. For example, I like funny movies even if they're unrealistic but I'm quite fed up with the usual cliches. I enjoy well-written stories. Sometimes I don't mind the stereotypes if the actors play well.

I didn't want to watch this movie initially. Romantic stories where the main characters are old people will often involve diseases and deaths which are treated in a realistic manner and make you think of real life "a little bit" too much. Sometimes I wonder if pieces of escapism should remind you of the things you would like to escape from. I know there are way more deaths in Knight and Day (with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz) but they look cartoonish and stupid and have little to do with what happens in real life.

IMG03.jpg

I decided we should watch Our Souls at Night in an attempt to avoid low quality productions. It was not a bad decision, although the movie is not a masterpiece. But it's a well-made one. A linear, simple story with minimum twists and turns. Realistic without getting boring or trivial. Artistic without abusing tropes and cliches. If I were to paraphrase Tim O'Brien, I would say Our Souls at Night is not a romantic movie - it's a survival story.

What do you think?

iamthouth

Tetris Master
You had me thinking this was the name of the next Elvenar chapter for a minute, with the spoiler warning.