• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Please explain why zero-star trades are banned, or not allowed, in some fellowships.

Dew Spinner

@Pookatan
You've asked us to explain why and then criticized some of the most helpful members here on this Forum when they have explained the rationale. You are arguing with us. Many recruiters check and read the Forum and yet .. here you are ... showing them why you may be trouble for them.
Happy Gaming
I don't see any criticism from that poster. I also think it is an odd way to store goods but he has every right to ask questions in response to replies to him. This is exactly why you only see a very small handful of old timers posting all the time. The old timers immediately get nasty with newcomers to the forum, if there isn't 100% agreement right down to the T.

Gladiola

Zero-star trades are at the end of the list of all other trades.

Trades that you have goods enough to accept are listed first. If there are no available starred trades that you have goods enough to accept, then trades with less than two stars will be listed before larger trades with more stars that you can't fulfill. For a newer player who is a small member of the fellowship, this means that these unbalanced trades will appear at the top of the list, if the amounts requested are small enough to be in their inventory. (Smaller here is relative.)

As a new player, my fellowship members post many trades that are way too big for me and therefore appear lower on the list. The top of my list is filled with unbalanced trades for smaller amounts posted by my near neighbors. It would be annoying if I also had to deal with them from members of my own fellowship.

I mainly use the trader to post my own trades, which are accepted by my fellowship members, but I do try to look to see if there are fair trades posted by my neighbors that I can take to help them out, as we are in a backwater part of Arendyll with empty space all around.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Trades that you have goods enough to accept are listed first. If there are no available starred trades that you have goods enough to accept, then trades with less than two stars will be listed before larger trades with more stars that you can't fulfill. For a newer player who is a small member of the fellowship, this means that these unbalanced trades will appear at the top of the list, if the amounts requested are small enough to be in their inventory. (Smaller here is relative.)

As a new player, my fellowship members post many trades that are way too big for me and therefore appear lower on the list. The top of my list is filled with unbalanced trades for smaller amounts posted by my near neighbors. It would be annoying if I also had to deal with them from members of my own fellowship.

I mainly use the trader to post my own trades, which are accepted by my fellowship members, but I do try to look to see if there are fair trades posted by my neighbors that I can take to help them out, as we are in a backwater part of Arendyll with empty space all around.

I never scroll that far to begin with. Once I get to the one-star trades, I exit the Trader because I know there is nothing beyond that I want or can take. All the trades are in a set order, though this order is a little different on browser than on the app, but it is still always the same order when you open the Trader. If all you want to look at are 2 and 3-star trades that you have enough goods to accept, you never have to scroll down to the crap trades or the ones you cannot accept.

Kekune

If all you want to look at are 2 and 3-star trades that you have enough goods to accept, you never have to scroll down to the crap trades or the ones you cannot accept.
But if you're a small city, with small inventories, all the big trades you can't take will be BELOW the small 0- stars. And with a small trading radius, it's common to have only (or mostly) fellowship trades. If they're a small fish in a big pond, they can't avoid seeing the bad trades.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
But if you're a small city, with small inventories, all the big trades you can't take will be BELOW the small 0- stars. And with a small trading radius, it's common to have only (or mostly) fellowship trades. If they're a small fish in a big pond, they can't avoid seeing the bad trades.

3-star
2-star
1-star
0-star
trades of any kind that you do not have the goods to fulfill

What is there about this order that is forcing players to scroll down on app, or tab over on browser, to see the bad ones or unavailable ones? Even new players can pay attention to the order and learn how it works. If the very first trade on the list is a 1 or 0-star, or is greyed out because you do not have the goods, then there is no reason at all to keep looking, because all the trades will be like that. And if you gain the goods to make any of those unavailable trades become available, guess what? They will automatically jump up the list to their proper place. They do not stay hiding at the bottom, waiting for someone to find it.

Kekune

What is there about this order that is forcing players to scroll down on app, or tab over on browser, to see the bad ones or unavailable ones?
Nothing. That's the point - they are sometimes front and center for small cities.
If the very first trade on the list is a 1 or 0-star, or is greyed out because you do not have the goods, then there is no reason at all to keep looking, because all the trades will be like that.
Yes, I agree with this. I was responding to this sequence, which made it appear that you didn't understand a posters concern:
And fellowships do not have rules against these trades because they are in the way or anything. Zero-star trades are at the end of the list of all other trades.
Trades that you have goods enough to accept are listed first....For a newer player who is a small member of the fellowship, this means that these unbalanced trades will appear at the top of the list, if the amounts requested are small enough to be in their inventory.
The top of my list is filled with unbalanced trades for smaller amounts posted by my near neighbors.
I never scroll that far to begin with.
Her whole point is that she CAN'T avoid seeing these trades.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Nothing. That's the point - they are sometimes front and center for small cities.

Yes, I agree with this. I was responding to this sequence, which made it appear that you didn't understand a posters concern:

Her whole point is that she CAN'T avoid seeing these trades.

Yes, this game does suck greatly at explaining how some things work, so this game requires an awareness and perception to look at things and figure them out, not just blindly clicking around without trying to understand. And I think this need has been lost somewhere along the way during the six years this game has been around.

Gladiola

this game requires an awareness and perception to look at things and figure them out, not just blindly clicking around without trying to understand.

I understand the game mechanics. I understand that the only trades that are a size I can accept in the trade window are unbalanced trades. I do still go to the trouble of looking at them because even though I am new and small, I want to help my new and small neighbors that I might not have discovered yet, from whom I might take trades even though they are not balanced (which is compounded by the fee for trading with people you haven't discovered).

What I would object to is wading through similar trades posted by a member of my fellowship simply because he can't be bothered to remember how many goods he needs for the next research. I have higher expectations of my fellowship members than I do of neighbors randomly placed on the map. So, fortunately, do other members of my fellowship. Due to freedom of association, we can gather together as people who agree about this. It's not the only way to play, but I like it.

Yogi Dave

If a trade offer is unfair, don't take it, and move on.
I use 0-start trade offers to set aside goods I'll need later in upcoming Technologies. I wouldn't dream that anyone would accept a raw deal.
But I got the boot from my fellowship because the ArchMage didn't like scrolling through useless offers.
Is there a fellowship out there which is operated by an open mind?
The title of this thread is "Please explain why zero-star trades are banned, or not allowed, in some fellowships." Several people have explained why they are banned or not allowed in their FS except for specific purposes. Those are the reasons. You can explain why you don't think those are valid reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that they are their reasons.

You see the game in a different way than they do, which is fine. It's your game to play as fits you. I would suggest that most top FSs do not allow 0-star trades without prior agreement with someone in the FS. So that may limit which FSs will accept you as a member or will quickly boot you if you insist on placing 0-star trades.

I was in an FS where 0-star trades were banned except by agreement and must be gone within a minute or two after placing. The AM's reason was they would make the FS look bad. Understanding that reason doesn't matter. It was a rule and the AM would boot people who violated it. In the end, that is the only thing that matters: will you get booted if you insist on placing 0-star trades? Neither logic or understanding the reasons matter. You just have to understand they exist and are enforced.

Dew Spinner

The title of this thread is "Please explain why zero-star trades are banned, or not allowed, in some fellowships." Several people have explained why they are banned or not allowed in their FS except for specific purposes. Those are the reasons. You can explain why you don't think those are valid reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that they are their reasons.

You see the game in a different way than they do, which is fine. It's your game to play as fits you. I would suggest that most top FSs do not allow 0-star trades without prior agreement with someone in the FS. So that may limit which FSs will accept you as a member or will quickly boot you if you insist on placing 0-star trades.

I was in an FS where 0-star trades were banned except by agreement and must be gone within a minute or two after placing. The AM's reason was they would make the FS look bad. Understanding that reason doesn't matter. It was a rule and the AM would boot people who violated it. In the end, that is the only thing that matters: will you get booted if you insist on placing 0-star trades? Neither logic or understanding the reasons matter. You just have to understand they exist and are enforced.
Very nice way of explaining this, no nastiness, just a clear concise explanation. Unfortunately, I think that poster has been chased off the forum by other posters.

Yogi Dave

Unfortunately, I think that poster has been chased off the forum by other posters.
I hope not. The post here were just before midnight my time and a post in the ideas section was started just after midnight, so it's another 7 hours before it's been a day since the 1st post.

Dew Spinner

I hope not. The post here were just before midnight my time and a post in the ideas section was started just after midnight, so it's another 7 hours before it's been a day since the 1st post.
I hope not too but that seems to be the way it goes here. It would be so nice to have a robust community on the forum!

Sprite1313

I hope not too but that seems to be the way it goes here. It would be so nice to have a robust community on the forum!
Well, he was posting for a few hours after the thread started, looking for an FS that would accept a player who placed 0 star trades. Hopefully he found a place to land.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
3-star
2-star
1-star
0-star
trades of any kind that you do not have the goods to fulfill

What is there about this order that is forcing players to scroll down on app, or tab over on browser, to see the bad ones or unavailable ones?
But isn't it
0-star trades that you can accept
3-star trades that you can't accept
2-star trades that you can't accept
1-star trades that you can't accept
0-star trades that you can't accept
?
So for a newer smaller player, the bad trades are actually on top if those are the only ones of a size that could be accepted, no? I guess it doesn't really matter so much because you could train yourself to simply close the trader if the top trade was a bad one knowing that everything below would be bad as well. Not great though.