• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Pop Up ads and their control.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
If you are getting various warnings about this or that has infected your computer, the culprit is probably something you loaded a long time ago from something that was "free." Free stuff ain't. The number of truly "gratis" web sites is actually so small you'd be surprised. What usually happens is that you unknowingly install that free "anti-malware," "driver updater," "system speed up," or whatever program that runs just fine, and don't read the fine print, which often says they can deliver "targeted" advertising to you. There are legit programs of these types, but they are not "free." Nor are the less legitimate ones. The nefarious ones are just opening a door you would expect to be shut by the very program you installed. And once that's open the program watches. An ad-blocker program then takes over, blocking whatever ads you didn't want in the first place, but, again, if the ad-blocker is free.......it ain't.

Now if a company like Inno includes pop up advertising (or advertising from a site recognized as a site hosting ads), that free program can intercept it and redirect it to one of the companies paying it to get access to your eyeballs. You see, Inno uses, no doubt, the right procedure to bring advertising, but it gets hijacked and redirected. And then something pops up and says, "Everything is going to hell in a hand-basket, click here!" just enough people do so for the company offering the "free" antivirus, antispyware, antimalware, fix you life totally in your spare time software, to make some money.

Now, this is the simplified version. There are a lot of variations but one of them is not for a reputable company like Inno, to infect or allow your system to be infected by anything they have done. I'd bet on that. On the other hand, you are playing a "free to play" game and thus, have signaled, at least to me, you like free stuff. And, well, "free stuff, ain't" alway free.

Here's my list of tips.

1) If you can't tell how a web site is making any money, don't worry, they know where your wallet is, directly or not. Stay away from free stuff, especially if the stuff itself is often at the edge of legitimate, like files, music, and so on.
2) When get a pop up you didn't expect telling you the world in ending, don't click on anything...reach over and push the "Off" button of your computer. If you are on a phone, tablet, or laptop, do the same. Better to lose a few words of an email, or page of a novel your writing than push that 'red x" which can be programmed to do anything, including telling somebody someplace you are a real live human being and can be considered a future target for more nefarious stuff.
3) Turn off anything not absolutely needed. Too many "anti" programs clutters things up and may result in false positives. Run 1 good AV/Malware/Internet protection program and read up their reputations before you install them, especially if they are free.
4) Turn off all those "feature" programs you have attached to your browser. Like "PDF" reader programs and converters, and so on. It's not that they are bad, so much as they are an opportunity. Slim and trim should be what a tech would say of your online footprint.
5) If you continue to get those nasty pop-ups and you have a good AV and a good Ad blocker, get your system cleaned. Don't just run your AV/antiMalware program and think it will catch everything. A nefarious piece of code in memory can hide in memory. If your system is not booted from a clearn USB or DVD/CD and then scanned, it's not 100% clean. (Which is how you can tell if a technician actually knows what he/she is doing. Not competent tech would use your internal software to scan your own system nor would they install their own on your running system. External scans are the only way to insure a clean system).

So, here's the final word (well, my final word, as I'm sure others will have something to say about this, and they may be right :>)): nefarious things eventually happen when you consistently try to get lot of things for nothing. Limit the number of "free" things you do to large well-known products and websites and you'll have fewer problems.

AJ

Veesviewpoint

What are the most reputable/reliable companies to purchase programs for laptop or cell phone installation?

I'm thinking PCMatic (laptop) for malware/ransomware?
Not so sure about "ad guards" when it comes to cell phone/laptop etc.
Please feel free to private message me if necessary.
Thanks.

theuser

Also recommend Malwarebytes. A great "Kick in the door" tool when your computer is really F'ed and it coexists nicely with Windows 10 built-in AV.

There are also free -- open source -- programs. Having the source is no guarantee that it is not malicious, but it allows knowledgeable persons to find the more obvious exploits.

I hesitate to mention Brave browser. It is open source, derived from Chrome. It is brutally effective against all forms of advertising and auto-play videos and other web annoyances. Brave makes their money pushing crypto (especially onto advertisers-- they have to take Brave's cryptocoin in order to get through). Normally, I vehemently oppose all things related to cryptocoins but if there is any group that deserves it, it is web advertisers.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Myne I just said this on the other conversation.
I have no problem with the ads if/when I choose to click on them. They look to me like the same ads and format I've seen in lesser games for a long time. I've never had any issues with them. I'm guessing maybe because we use Norton on my laptop, iPads & iPhones? I have had Norton block websites and ask permissions (popups come to mind) but that's all I can think of. Before anybody decides to debate the value of Norton 360, I have used them for at least 2 decades on PCs, laptops & devices and I have never had a virus or any other security problems on anything.

Myne

Oh Wise One
@Myne I just said this on the other conversation.
I have no problem with the ads if/when I choose to click on them. They look to me like the same ads and format I've seen in lesser games for a long time. I've never had any issues with them. I'm guessing maybe because we use Norton on my laptop, iPads & iPhones? I have had Norton block websites and ask permissions (popups come to mind) but that's all I can think of. Before anybody decides to debate the value of Norton 360, I have used them for at least 2 decades on PCs, laptops & devices and I have never had a virus or any other security problems on anything.
I, too, have used them for decades. I have had popup ads in other games I have played in the past and had no issues with Norton or the ads. BTW, I have not seen an ad yet. From time to time I do play on my phone or tablet, I am sure I will see them then. INNO has to do what it has to do so that they can remain in business. I hate that they felt the need to layoff to keep going.

Myne

Oh Wise One
Also if you need a utilities program for your device Norton has Norton Utilities that is a great help. Automatically cleans and fixes a lot of issues.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Yes to Malwarebytes. I use Avast alone and nothing more. No ad blocker because I never get them. I use Firefox and Edge with many of the others installed. I tested Brave and found it okay, but didn't notice anything spectacular enough to recommend it over anything else. I'm "anti-chrome" not because the browser is bad but I like to see the dominant players taken down a bit and thus, Chrome as a part of Google, seems to need it. (Just personal preference, in other words). As for Norton? I have been a fan of the product since Peter Norton and I invented it....okay, the "and I" was more than an exaggeration, it was a lie! LOL The Utilities were great. The AV though, in my opinion, was too bloated and controlled too much, so I never recommended it. Ditto to the 10th degree for McCafee.

Avast is free and probably the top "selling" free AV on the planet. A great source for free software, and one that, over the years, seems to limit it's offerings to to the non-nefarious/scamware is www.filehippo.com. Major Geek is also on my list of where to go to get the latest is freeware.

Finally, when it comes to open source software I'm of the opinion that you should stick to companies with a proven track record. I have MS Office but use LibreOffice. I use several utilities for burning DVD's, USB boot disks and so on. Never had much of a problem with most of what I get but I've been doing it so long I've managed to develop a sort of intuitive sense of when somebody's trying to scam me and when not.

And, finally, finally, .... what I really hate is when a company like TotalAV starts a "review of free Anti-virus programs" and puts itself at the top, then, when you load the program, you find out the "anti-virus protection" is a "premium service." And this after you review the list of features in the free version and it says, "anti-virus protection." Things like that just mean that, eventually, we'll have big, fat, bloated, government programs designed to "weed out" false advertising, including all those "fake news" things we might not think fake at all. We pay for more protection with a check of our freedom.

AJ

Yogi Dave

Has anyone else gotten an ad targeted for them? I've gotten the same one a couple of times which is for a fencing company in a town 15 minutes from my house. I haven't opened the ad since you don't have to collect the goods. But it bothers me that it literally states the town's name and location in the initial popup. This seems like they are going a little too far to be giving me personally targeted ads. Yes, I know I could just avoid the whole thing, but that's not the solution to the location of me being shared with the ad companies or whoever is using my location for the ads.

Huor

it still amazes me with the amount of crying that came from big brother trying to help keep us safe (remember all the snowden nonsense), but we will happily give up the whole farm to google, facebook, a nigerian prince, free*, 2 extra pieces of wood a day, etc... lol

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
@Yogi Dave Targeted ads have more to do with your overall security settings.

I do everything, including play this game on mobile, my weather application is the only one that has permission to view my location. I don't accept cookies so about 20% of pages I try to view won't even load past the cookie request. It is a little annoying to work around but I do not like targeted ads.
Examples, if I try to pull up direction to a place on my phone, I can get a map of their location but not directions because my location is off.

Yogi Dave

it still amazes me with the amount of crying that came from big brother trying to help keep us safe (remember all the snowden nonsense), but we will happily give up the whole farm to google, facebook, a nigerian prince, free*, 2 extra pieces of wood a day, etc... lol
Knowing nothing about me, pretty crude response to make your comment. Well, even if not a response to my post, it's still amazes me that some people still find they need to make these type comments.

Yogi Dave

@Yogi Dave I'm sorry you thought that my response was directed at you personally
Thanks, but I did have to sort of laugh at you bringing in Snowden. It made me think of a silly saying of mine that I've heard in many forms over the decades. "What does that have to do with the price of eggs in Zimbabwe on a Thursday?"

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
All of this reminds me of when the Army had those surveillance blimps. One of them was very near our home. People around here went completely nuts about it on Facebook. I had to laugh!! First, if they are paranoid about being spied on what in the world are they doing on Facebook? Second, I've just never thought I was that darned important so I rarely noticed it. Facebook being what Facebook is, I actually think some were disappointed when it broke loose and floated to PA. They had to come up with something else to gripe about. Of course, if there are ever missiles fired at the East Coast those same people will go crazy that there wasn't enough surveillance.

That is kind of how I am seeing the griping on our forum about the ads that you don't even have to click on. If this is what it takes for Elvenar to be a more profitable game in Inno's portfolio so it doesn't go poof, I am all for it. I want this game to thrive financially! I sure as heck don't want to have to wonder what they could have tried to keep Elvenar profitable if/when the time comes that this game ends. I went through that with Castleville :confused:

Sodbury

Has anyone else gotten an ad targeted for them? I've gotten the same one a couple of times which is for a fencing company in a town 15 minutes from my house. I haven't opened the ad since you don't have to collect the goods. But it bothers me that it literally states the town's name and location in the initial popup. This seems like they are going a little too far to be giving me personally targeted ads. Yes, I know I could just avoid the whole thing, but that's not the solution to the location of me being shared with the ad companies or whoever is using my location for the ads.
When your browser (or app) contacts the ad server to request an advert, that request contains your machine's IP address. This a series of numbers that represents your computers' location on the internet. It is not a physical address, but it can be used to find your rough location. IP addresses are not assigned randomly. An address with a number similar to yours (but a different ending) is likely to be in your town, even in your same neighbourhood.

Elvenar doesn't need to share your (rough) location, because your browser does it every time it makes a request to a server.