• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Pros and Cons for ever increasing map size

edeba

I have reached maximum map size and all indications from the development team suggest increasing the map size is not in the plans any time soon in the future, so it seems a good idea to explore continued map expansion when the benefits are declining.

For myself, I feel like the developers deliberately did something to slow down map visits. One day I could do my map in about 20 minutes with hot keys and then quite suddenly load times changed drastically and I genuinely believe that was covertly programmed. The helping hands used to come up ahead of all of the graphics loading and one day that changed, slaughtering access to the map and really limiting access to large maps to those with massive disposable time. Everyone eventually reaches limits on ability to visit their map and mine is so slow I'd be challenged at doing half of it daily. So there is no benefit here.

Changes to the crystal lighthouse mean that you now collect less goods that before developers mislead players by saying they were making wonders better than the original designs. The increase in goods collected is such a pittance now from expanding the map, it is too negligible to consider of any value. My goods collected with an extra province completed increases by about 30 goods per day now, be still my heart...

Ok so the biggest pro for expanding the map was getting city expansions and increased goods from the crystal lighthouse. If your city isn't maximum size, this is still a pro, but it isn't anymore for many of the higher level players that have all of the expansions open now, and the crystal lighthouse is an incredibly marginal benefit to goods now, less than the original design.

The Crystal Light house is not a pro, and it really is useless in terms of what you get from expanding the map now. It does still have the benefit of increased polish time, but that is not linked to map size.

Daily visits to cities on the map has time limitations and loading problems are such that even visiting once per week is grossly burdensome.

A pro is that you get ranking points for each encounter completed, so say around 112 to 120 ranking points per province completed, and 8 relics plus any wonder bonus relics. If you play tournaments, relic bonuses are much less valuable. I have over 2000 of some relics now... There are only two kinds that I come close to not having enough. So, over a month there's about 1800 ranking points to collect. There is a grossly increasing cost for each province opened and time is increasing so the actual amount of points you can collect is decreasing fairly rapidly. A person with 72 hours to open a province could only collect around 1200 ranking points in a month. You also get 8 kp with each province, but waiting for the next chapter drastically reduces scouting costs, both time and goods. The now benefits here are extremely marginal and do have a future cost.

Wonders tied to map size: Crystal Lighthouse, Hero's forge, Enar's Embassy, Maze of the Dark Matter, and Dragon Abby.

Ok, so no chapter to work on, no mana needed... Increasing time needed to scout provinces mean decreasing need for orcs. There is a need for orcs in the tourney. Currently my orc supply exceeds my orc needs, and I do not employ all increase orc supply strategies available to me, so no extra orcs needed.

Potential future expansions is the biggest "pro" and developers have been messaging for about a year now not to expect increased expansions forever, so there's probably more at some point but that point is probably not with the next chapter.

Ok, so having some scouted provinces that are not completed has some benefit for quest events...

It seems to me that I should have about 3-4 incomplete provinces scouted and other than that leave the map alone until there is a new chapter, and only scout as it benefits getting through the next chapter...

I am not even sure what all of the cons are, increased encounter difficulty and increased negotiating costs is one. I have no idea of the degree to which it is tied to tournaments, but something besides the tech tree is increasing tournament costs so I would think it is map size.

Anyway, I invite others thoughts on these pros and cons...

DeletedUser9601

Its not a pro or con, but with respect to neighborly help. I play the game on my PC, but I downloaded the mobile app just for neighborly help outside my FS (I still NH in my FS on my PC, so I can open chests and target preferred help options). On the mobile app, you don't open each city. Instead, you click a neighbor, and have 3 options: boost MH, boost builder, boost best non-boosted culture building. It takes 2-3 seconds per visit. So, so much faster.

If I were at the end of Halflings and had my whole map filled with provinces, I'd probably scout 5-6 provinces (for future events, or a boost of KPs as needed), and then just stockpile. If you aren't needing more provinces open to do more in tournaments, and if you aren't super-focused on ranking points, its probably better to sit tight.

edeba

I just tried NH on the mobile app. I only got maybe 10 provinces done and then it would not accept help, so after clicking for about a minute with nothing happening I went and used supplies in case that was the issue. I went back and there was a city I know has a main hall that has not finished upgrading for the past year and it crashed the mobile app. I found it was great for return help on the notifications, but two issues in only 10 provinces while trying to do NH is the limit of my time investment for now. I also thought it was really poor design that we have both the fellowship and NH button to push. I am disappointed that they programmed in an extra step for NH for something that is so very rarely needed or used. It would be better if the fellowship information was only accessible after NH and clicking on the city showed NH options in the first click.

DeletedUser9247

You post gives some perspective as to why Inno is so desperate to slow our progress down. A lot of excitement and satisfaction in this game is tied to expanding and when that's gone, the game starts to show how much of game-play it's lacking.
Ranking doesn't matter to me so getting few points for what must be a massive cost would be a con to me. In the current situation I honestly don't see any pro's- I would keep few provinces open for the events and wait for the next big thing.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I've just finished halfings on my main, and after a week or so of re-arranging my city and completing upgrades I'll be switching to 24h productions and waiting for the next event/chapter. If I thought it would be longer than a month or so, I can't see myself sticking around.

DeletedUser7370

I actually intend to stop most forward progress near the beginning of woodelves. I will get my willows built, fill the available researches but not activate them, scout a few provinces but not conquer them, and then focus on some wonders and the tournament. I will then research further and upgrade buildings only when it is part of an event. The very slow progress through the early part of that chapter will leave my whole settlement area open for temporary event buildings. I simply can't see the point in progressing rapidly when there is no estimate for when the next chapter will be available.

DeletedUser9601

I simply can't see the point in progressing rapidly when there is no estimate for when the next chapter will be available.
I'd rather try to build up via tournaments/wonders in Halflings than in Woodelves. Presumably those tournaments will produce more for less/ Not to mention, there are more city expansions to utilize, and there are more efficient manufactories.

But I get your point. Until the next chapter is announced, it probably makes more sense to progress steadily and focus on the long-term sustainability of your city, as opposed to sprinting to the finish line.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I actually intend to stop most forward progress near the beginning of woodelves.

it probably makes more sense to progress steadily and focus on the long-term sustainability of your city, as opposed to sprinting to the finish line.

After reading everything I could find on dwarves, trying to get through the chapter as quickly and efficiently as possible, and still slogging through bored out of my mind waiting on granite at the end, I have slowed wayyyy down and I'm much happier. I haven't really stopped, just decided to meander through fairies. Going into Orcs sometime in late winter would be just fine with me (**hate** the look of the buildings there!) I'm no longer trying to upgrade every building I have to max level, just doing what I need for quests and then upgrade others to keep population and inventory of goods and supplies up. Obviously, I'm a long way from needing to care when the next chapter is released, but I do really like this game. I can see me still playing it a year from now, 2 years from now...etc. So, racing through to the end holds no sway over me. All that would do is get me to the end of a game I don't really want to end, lol!

DeletedUser7370

I'd rather try to build up via tournaments/wonders in Halflings than in Woodelves.
I think of it this way, if the next chapter does not come out for a year then that would be 4 major and 4 minor events. Each of those tends to have some 'research a tech' quests. The majors often ask for 3 or 4 and minors tend only 1. That makes 16-20 researches that might be needed by events. The woodelves chapter has 31 researches of which I would do 5 before stopping. So if it takes another year I will finish off the chapter in that time. If I stop at the beginning of halflings then I might possibly run out of techs before they release the next chapter. Woodelves also has the advantage of having all the guest race stuff at the back end, whereas halflings front loads so you have to build much of the settlement to progress.

SoggyShorts

I actually intend to stop most forward progress near the beginning of woodelves.

Until the next chapter is announced, it probably makes more sense to progress steadily and focus on the long-term sustainability of your city, as opposed to sprinting to the finish line.
That's an interesting take. Personally without the extra challenge of seeing how fast I can complete a chapter(without losing any sleep) I think I'd be far too bored to continue. I see the tech tree as a measure of my progress, so without advancing I wouldn't feel like I was accomplishing anything. I guess I just don't see the difference between sitting at woodelves not progressing and sitting at halflings not progressing. The event quests that require a tech either have an alternative that should be easy with no need for guest race buildings, or if there is no alternative, then support will complete the quest for you, so that's no reason to stop.

DeletedUser7370

I see the tech tree as a measure of my progress
Imagine that you have arrived at the parking lot of a Walmart. It is a busy day and the lot is somewhat full, there are many people walking to and from cars, and across to the front of the store.
  1. Do you travel along the rows to find an open spot closest to the entrance?
  2. Do you select a spot that you feel is close enough after passing numerous filled and open spots?
  3. Do you grab the first close spot that you can recognize as open from the end of the first row you try?
The people that take path 1 in that scenario can enter the parking lot directly in front of me, and they will still be driving around looking for a spot when I am already walking in the door of the store. And running to the end of the tech tree as fast as possible is equivalent. The store at the end of the tech tree is upgrading wonders. I simply select to park my car at a convenient spot and get on with the further experience. I am also selecting based on what I consider as the most convenient spot.

You said it yourself if you get to the end and the next chapter does not come out for an extended period you would become bored, leave, and not come back.

Risen Malchiah

But in this case, being a chapter ahead has the benefit of improving the event buildings you get which can help make a city more efficient.

I started after Thanksgiving last year and just made it to S & D this weekend. I'm happy that it took less than a year and that was a goal of mine. (Well, the goal was "to the end" in a year but the goalpost was moved when S&D and Halflings were released, so end of Woodelves is just fine.) Now that I'm here, I suppose I can move more leisurely, but I still view an empty KP bar on a recently-upgraded AW as this vast chasm that I am loathe to pour KP into. :)

DeletedUser7370

being a chapter ahead has the benefit of improving the event buildings
Look very closely at the rate of improvement. There is a big jump for culture and pop/culture at chapter 9 (woodelves), but then the rate of increases is back to small. It is like upgrading armories; a big jump at certain points and then the gain is pitiful making it better to save the upgrade for the event bus.

SoggyShorts

I simply select to park my car at a convenient spot and get on with the further experience......You said it yourself if you get to the end and the next chapter does not come out for an extended period you would become bored, leave, and not come back.
Like I said, progressing through the tech tree is the experience for me. Setting productions and dumping KP into wonders isn't enough to keep me entertained whether it's in chapter 9, 10 or at the end.
I think your idea of stopping in chapter 9 is more like sitting in your car waiting for the crowds to thin out before even going into the store.
Sure you might have a more relaxing shopping experience, but I find sitting in the car just as boring as shopping.

Edit:to answer your question, I used to park far away because I find I can walk faster than I can squeeze my truck into a "good" spot. That was then, now I order online, and pick up groceries by parking in the convenient spots marked for that purpose;)

DeletedUser5800

I've had the goal of catching the devs since Fairies was the end when I started! They always seem to add another just faster than I can go... but I will catch them, if not in Halflings then Elemtuars or whatever. I consider the tech. tree to be an obstacle that needs overcame to focus on the game itself. TOURNAMENTS! and to a lesser extent events, and an even way lesser extent advenfails... I men tures. :p As for scouting, I suppose I will keep trying to kill that little drunken vagabond for as long as I can before he actually falls over dead. :eek:

They keep adding scout based things, seeds and such, they will add more I'm sure so why not push a button every 2 or 3 days? ;)

SoggyShorts

To paraphrase your statement: stopping at some arbitrary point is the same as stopping at the current end.
Yep, except I'm not going to stop until I'm forced to. Choosing boredom early rather than later still seems odd to me.

New analogy: Stopping early is like not watching the last 3 episodes of a TV show until you know when the next season is coming out. I feel it makes more sense to keep watching, in the hopes that the next season starts soon, and if not I'll move on.

I am also interested to see how well I can do in the new chapter compared to other players (not counting diamond players obviously). For at least a short while no one will have a guide, maybe I'll even write one-- something else to keep the game alive for me a little longer.

Last edited:

Risen Malchiah

New analogy: Stopping early is like not watching the last 3 episodes of a TV show until you know when the next season is coming out. I feel it makes more sense to keep watching, in the hopes that the next season starts soon, and if not I'll move on.
Haha, I've actually done that, but only when I've heard the ending was a cliffhanger and didn't want to wait to find out if someone lives or dies. Nowadays, every episode is a cliffhanger, so there's no point in stopping. :p

DeletedUser9601

Personally without the extra challenge of seeing how fast I can complete a chapter(without losing any sleep)

I'm in the same boat. The game progress is the challenge that keeps me interested.
I also think you're right to not worry about saving techs for events. As much as we complain about Inno, I don't think they're going to screw over their most dedicated players (and probably some of their biggest spenders) just because those folks got to the end of the tech tree.

dikke ikke

I just started halflings yesterday, I need 4 expansions to have enough space for their settlement. I will go for more so I have space for more AW's, let's say I go for 10, then I will still have 30 unused expansions. So at a rate of 10 expansions per new level, I am still save for 3 levels, that is the one many top players are waiting for, and 2 more to come. And if I will get at the end of a level before there is a new one, which is my goal, then there is time to upgrade AW's faster, to upgrade roads to and other buildings to the max, maybe even build a lot of level1 t1 buildings and workshops for events and fs adventures. There will still be things to do, but the pressure will be much less