• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Question: Does anyone know when "Spells" will be added

• Thread starter DeletedUser1657
  • Start date

DeletedUser1657

Does anyone know when the Spells will be added to the Research Tree? I've been trying to keep my fellowship informed of the upcoming change but all I know is "sometime around Valentines", that's pretty vague. Thanks!

DeletedUser594

3 weeks after the Beta release is the target date from what I heard. They released on Beta just one or two days ago

DeletedUser1657

Thanks Varron! It will be interesting to test it out and may relieve some of the boring down-times waiting on upgrades/production.

DeletedUser61

The folks in the Beta forum wouldn't like Cookies and Chocolate Milk if you brought it to them. Spells are a precursor technology for the folks who are low to mid-level in the game. It's rather like complaining that Christmas is boring, because what's the POINT of looking at a bunch of boxes that are wrapped up in paper and ribbons.

To your original question, however, there's a lot of weirdness in the current Beta release, the Barracks is all goofed up for example and many of the timers are whacked out. I'm hoping that most of that stuff will be cleaned up BEFORE they push the release into production, and that's going to take more than just 9 days.

DeletedUser1657

I see the pros and cons of the concept. Having that large of structure to add to an already space hungry game will add to the difficulty and new players will jump on adding it then regret using the space later in the game. Being able to get the extra boost in productions may be worth it. I would like to trial it before suggesting it to my fellowship so the newer players aren't jumping on something without full knowledge of the consequences or advantages.

DeletedUser61

How about a few Combat Spells? The Magic Academy is anything that the developers want it to be, as they tune the balance of the game.

DeletedUser1161

You can speculate that the magic academy might eventually do just about anything. Heck, it might make my cerberus into sparkle rainbow ponies with eye lasers of doom. That still doesn't make the current implementation worth building.

It's not as if it's difficult to rearrange a city and put one up later. It's probably best to save relics in case they come out with a worthwhile spell anyway.

DeletedUser

You can speculate that the magic academy might eventually do just about anything. Heck, it might make my cerberus into sparkle rainbow ponies with eye lasers of doom.

I may build one if I get sparkle rainbow ponies, with eye lasers of doom. But only if they are wearing big rainbow colored bows and have braided manes and tails. And my Axe Barbs have pink tutu's of death on. Because that would make a hilarious Let's Play on You Tube. And that might make it worth the aggravation. My subbs would eat that up. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser627

... The Magic Academy is anything that the developers want it to be, as they tune the balance of the game.

Hearing "tune the balance of the game" now gives me cold chills. It's rather like hearing the IRS say "audit your return", or the insurance company say, "review your policy". Aydenn, the only Elvenar component with eye lasers of doom are the developers themselves. They remind me of the human invaders of the Shire - all the gathering without any of the sharing. Improvements that are net losses.

DeletedUser61

You can speculate that the magic academy might eventually do just about anything.
You don't even have to speculate. The essential FUNCTION of the Magic Academy is the temporary modification of the usual functionality, and I would expect it to be used accordingly.

I'd ALSO expect to see spells come and go on a regular basis. If an especially attractive spell shows up you should probably stock up, because it's likely that the developers will rescind the really neat spells as soon as "enough" of them are lying about.

DeletedUser627

The latest Beta evaluation of the Magic Academy points out that the boost percentage doesn't apply to bonus production, only to regular production. This means that using a Spell on a L19 marble would produce about 60 additional marble every 3 hours.

So, at no point in the game is it productive to use the 25 grid spaces for a production Spell. If a player builds a residence (9 squares max) and uses the remaining squares to build a manufactory, production will always be greater than that of a Spell.

We can think of the production Spell as a lure for the unwary. Beware Geeks bearing gifts.

DeletedUser61

The same applies to your Main Hall, your Builder, your Barracks, and your Trader.

The Magic Academy is a core technology, and I suspect that it contains the Inventory module.

DeletedUser43

It's rather like complaining that Christmas is boring, because what's the POINT of looking at a bunch of boxes that are wrapped up in paper and ribbons.

No, actually it is like complaining that Christmas is boring because in order to get all those boxes wrapped up in paper and ribbons you have to pay Santa more than the presents are worth.

Remember to tell them it's a permanent building so if they build, it stays. Also the Elven is 5x5 ad the human 5x4 .

And it costs boosted relics to build the academy at the moment. I am not allowed to quote moderators from other servers, but this is from the community manager, so perhaps it is ok to post here. If not, you can go read it yourself on the beta forum. https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/inde...release-notes-version-0-35-spells.4043/page-2

"The costs for the construction of the Magic Academy does indeed consist of boosted Relics. We apologize for not communicating this clearly, that certainly was a mistake. We do realise that Relics are extremely valuable (especially in the current game version), which is why we will take the Tier 1 boosted Relics out of the construction costs for the Magic Academy. The Magic Academy is early content, and those Tier 1 Relics are extremely valuable in that stage of the game, way more so than the Tier 2 and Tier 3 Relics. These changes will not be in the game immediately (they still have to be developed, of course), but we'll try to get them to you as soon as possible (should be before the Spells become active on our Live servers)."

You can speculate that the magic academy might eventually do just about anything. Heck, it might make my cerberus into sparkle rainbow ponies with eye lasers of doom. That still doesn't make the current implementation worth building.

I spit out my soda with that one! Nice!!! So true, so true!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1621

Just a random I thought I had after a perusal of this discussion. If the academy is, in fact, to be a core component of the game - as indicated by its inability to be be sold/deleted after it has been constructed - I would expect that deciding whether or not to build it will become a moot point. Somewhere along the line, I would expect the developers to make the construction required (at some point) to progress the game, such coming in the form of a "non-declinable" quest or another mechanism such as a requirement to support the buildings or goods production of next guest race.

As for the Wiki - interestingly, Magic Academy is already listed under the Basic Buildings section, but only linking to a picture and an otherwise empty page.