• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Quests vs. Reality

DeletedUser

I've been getting quests for Tier 2 goods for some time now. I have yet to research any Tier 2 goods technologies. They started at least a week ago, too (before any of the tech in the screenshot had been completed). What triggers the changes in repeatable quest rotations and why does it result in quests that are essentially N/A for the player? How many others have noticed (and been aggravated by) this?
mismatch.jpg

DeletedUser68

There are actually a couple of things going on:
  • This is a City Builder, and posting a future building (including unboosted manufacturing) is a very elegant way to define a complex goal.
  • The quests are (should be) used to shape the user experience, and especially so when neglecting something will bite you later on.
  • In the mid-game the quests provide a bit of extra incentive for things that you need to do anyway, like getting more relics.
  • The developers are still tuning the Tech Tree, and the quests are occasionally a jump behind the tech tree. The developers don't really have any choice because allowing the quests to lead the Tech Tree changes would be even worse. As well you can imagine, changing horses, mid-quest, can be very tricky.
  • There are occasional bugs. A few months ago the expansions were not being properly counted, and when that problem was corrected it locked up several in-progress quests. One of the consequences is that you can now see sequence numbers in the Tech Tree for squad size and expansions.
  • The August YouTube promo indicated that we can expect the Tech Tree to be expanded in the near future, and hopefully putting together the related quests will be a good excuse for reviewing what we already have available.
So I think it's mostly a timing thing. This is a City Builder and, as such, we'll have a lot of folks who LIKE to optimize their efforts, so better questing visibility is certainly on my agenda, but the tail can't wag the dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser781

There are actually a couple of things going on:
  • This is a City Builder, and posting a future building (including unboosted manufacturing) is a very elegant way to define a complex goal.
  • The quests are (should be) used to shape the user experience, and especially so when neglecting something will bite you later on.
  • In the mid-game the quests provide a bit of extra incentive for things that you need to do anyway, like getting more relics.
  • The developers are still tuning the Tech Tree, and the quests are occasionally a jump behind the tech tree. The developers don't really have any choice because allowing the quests to lead the Tech Tree changes would be even worse. As well you can imagine, changing horses, mid-quest, can be very tricky.
  • There are occasional bugs. A few months ago the expansions were not being properly counted, and when that problem was corrected it locked up several in-progress quests. One of the consequences is that you can now see sequence numbers in the Tech Tree for squad size and expansions.
  • The August YouTube promo indicated that we can expect the Tech Tree to be expanded in the near future, and hopefully putting together the related quests will be a good excuse for reviewing what we already have available.
So I think it's mostly a timing thing. This is a City Builder and, as such, we'll have a lot of folks who LIKE to optimize their efforts, so better questing visibility is certainly on my agenda, but the tail can't wag the dog.

Wow, that was a lot of good info.