• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rune Shards after Wonder is built

• Thread starter DeletedUser1390
  • Start date

DeletedUser1390

I finished the Rune Circle for the Crystal Lighthouse and built it. (Meanwhile I'd also collected 4 or 5 rune shards for the Martial Monastery.) Since then I've finished 8 provinces and collected 8 straight Crystal Lighthouse rune shards.

Can I assume firstly that this is just a run of awful luck (1/256 chance assuming it's random which kind of shard you get), and not a bug somehow triggered by my building the Lighthouse?

And secondly, am I right there's nothing to do with these Crystal shards except wait (forever) till I need to upgrade to Level 6 and use them on the next Rune Circle?

DeletedUser61

You're correct on both counts.

If you look at the December YouTube InnoGames promo, one of the teasers was
ProvincialTournaments.png

Most of us are assuming that both Relics and Runes will be easier to come by once we're able to revisit previously acquired sectors.

DeletedUser1122

Since then I've finished 8 provinces and collected 8 straight Crystal Lighthouse rune shards.
Is there a limit on how many shards you can get. In theory could you collect enough for 2 lighthouses levels 1 and 6?

DeletedUser61

I've never heard of a limit on inventoried Rune Shards, and in Beta they've even added a tooltip to the Ancient Wonders icon that gives you a quick count.

DeletedUser594

How do you think they factor for disparities in age/level. In forge they have the towers for different ages. Seems a bit messier with provinces having players at points all along the research tree and no age specific troops.

DeletedUser61

My guess is that the Checkpoints that YOU see will be controlled by your most recent Advanced Scouting technology. Consequently, the Checkpoints will be in your outer rings, or perhaps just BEYOND your outer rings if you've been sloughing off.

DeletedUser1122

I've never heard of a limit on inventoried Rune Shards
I am struggling to get the question right the first time, but/so what the heck I will just follow my familiar path.
So when going for fairy shards I could be collecting my 200th broken Sanctuary shard even though I have completed the Sanctuary? OR Great Bell Spires broken shards which I am not building? or broken Dwarven shards?
Ultimately province shards pursuit will become like buying lottery tickets?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1122

How do you think they factor for disparities in age/level. In forge they have the towers for different ages. Seems a bit messier with provinces having players at points all along the research tree and no age specific troops.
My guess is that the Checkpoints that YOU see will be controlled by your most recent Advanced Scouting technology. Consequently, the Checkpoints will be in your outer rings, or perhaps just BEYOND your outer rings if you've been sloughing off.

I enjoyed reading your conversation. Whatta ya talking about?

DeletedUser61

If you take another look at the InnoGames December YouTube spot, they teased three things. Spells, Fairies, and some sort of cooperative effort in the provinces. That's everything that we know about it.

DeletedUser594

If they begin factoring AW's into your score then the extra shards become valuable. I'm surprised they don't already but perhaps they're more cautious after having to recalculate on forge bcs of the ridiculous imbalance that created. Wasn't the talk about using Kp's spent on AW's as the metric in that regard?

DeletedUser1122

I need to add a white cane and I'm dumb sign around my avatar's neck. Don't type so fast! I can't keep up.
My guess is that the Checkpoints that YOU see
What is checkpoints? Fighting wins?
If they begin factoring AW's into your score then the extra shards become valuable
They have said that AW will be factor into the score. How would extra shards for a total completed AW gain value?

Kat I hate to coax but could you talk/sorta vaguely address my question about:
So when going for fairy shards I could be collecting my 200th broken Sanctuary shard even though I have completed the Sanctuary? OR Great Bell Spires broken shards which I am not building? or broken Dwarven shards?
Ultimately province shards pursuit will become like buying lottery tickets?
Just a vague, not quite sure what you said, answer.

DeletedUser61

Wasn't the talk about using Kp's spent on AW's as the metric in that regard?

There are tons of possibilities, now that construction crews are clearing out and allowing us to get on with the possibilities of a functioning world.
  • The developers have already indicated that the Knowledge Points contributed to your Ancient Wonders will become part of your score.
  • As we currently lack any sort of scoring contribution for map activity, other than more expansions and thereby more decorative Manufacturing Buildings, I would not be the least bit surprised if success in the tournaments contributes to your score.
  • Similarly, FoE recently added Goods Used to their ranking formula, and doing so would neatly address the problem of folks who have stacked up SO MANY goods that they don't even bother to cycle their manufacturing anymore. I can think of a great many ways to burn up more Goods, and I'm happy that the Copper Mines, and now the Day and Night Buildings, are demanding secondary goods.
  • Maybe some of the Checkpoints will tuned for negotiation, while others will be tuned for combat, and if you can't do BOTH, you'll not be able to score well in the tournaments. There's NOTHING that says the checkpoints need to be, nor even should be, balanced the same way as the original provinces.
  • Or maybe it will be more akin to a Scavenger Hunt, or killing Dragons, or making offerings to the Woodland Deities. Or all of the above.
  • The tournaments probably won't be boring, and the entry level checkpoints don't need to be anything like the end game checkpoints. The check point structure is WIDE OPEN for creative "event" style activities. Easter Eggs anybody??
To me it's pretty obvious that the developers are not going to just stand by, and allow picturebook cities to dominate the scoring. That said, our Achiever class ENJOYS the Steeplechase that InnoGames has provided, and it's no small feat to squeeze every last point out of the available space. The Achievers will always "win," because that's what they enjoy doing.

So the real question is NOT if the Achievers will always win, because they always will. The real question is how to balance the game such that "winning" indicates that you have a vibrant, well-balanced city that's worthy of emulation.

but could you talk/sorta vaguely address my question about:
I think that gaining Rune Shards by acquiring provinces will continue to fade in importance. I have all four of the current Ancient Wonders, in a couple of different cities, and I have plenty of Rune Shards to cover my needs.

RuneShards.png

• Rune Shards exist in the Provinces mostly so that the FIRST FEW Ancient Wonders of each type can get started, and even then anybody who is willing to spend 200*9=1800 Diamonds can immediately throw up a new Ancient Wonder. 30 seconds after they unlock the related technology they'll be building a new Ancient Wonder, to which other folks can contribute and thereby win the related Rune Shards.
  • Ancient Wonders will probably contribute to your Rank by simply adding up how many Knowledge Points have been contributed to the Ancient Wonders in your city, by whomever for whatever reason.
  • There's no reason to think that Ancient Wonders, nor the related benefits, will be capped at 10 levels. In FoE we have Great Buildings with more than 100 levels, and every 5th level is likely to require another 18 Rune Shards of the appropriate type, which isn't a problem, in my view
GreatBuildings.png

Here's the activity for a pretty typical day in the Forge Point club that I manage in FoE, for about 40 participants. Once a building is targeted, it rarely takes us more than 3 days to level it.

FP Club.png

There's PLENTY more that we'll be able to do, in Elvenar, now that we've moved into production mode.

DeletedUser61

Do both! Look us up on FoE>US2>Brisgard>LOD>Katwijk. As indicated in our Guild Profile, we only consider applicants who have already built at least one Great Building.

Or, simply hang in there for six months, and Elvenar will be offering everything about FoE that's interesting, and then some.

DeletedUser1390

Can I assume firstly that this is just a run of awful luck (1/256 chance assuming it's random which kind of shard you get), and not a bug somehow triggered by my building the Lighthouse?

And secondly, am I right there's nothing to do with these Crystal shards except wait (forever) till I need to upgrade to Level 6 and use them on the next Rune Circle?

You're correct on both counts.

Well, as if to prove your reply, the next rune I got was a Monastery one. And then four more straight Lighthouse runes. So now I have 13 Lighthouse runes languishing, while I'm stuck at 5 on the Monastery circle. Seems like maybe when one Wonder is built the odds for the runes should be weighted at least toward the other kind, because a run like this is really no fun.

DeletedUser1122

As we currently lack any sort of scoring contribution for map activity,

The encounter points are based on how far you are away from your city. For example, when you win an encounter in the 8th ring, you get 8 points.

DeletedUser61

when you win an encounter in the 8th ring, you get 8 points.
That's entirely correct:
  1. Culture Used
  2. Workers Used
  3. Weighted Relics gained (used doesn't matter
  4. (soon™) Total KPs contributed to Ancient Wonderss that you own

FoE also considers Goods Used, but I'll be surprised if we see that in Elvenar as there's a considerable potential for abuse. Somebody could, for example, built something and then tear it down immediately, just to run up their score.