• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Secondary Fellowships (relaxed fellowships)

Smooper

So I have been running a fellowship for almost 2 years now. It is a good group and with the rules we have now it is performing about as well as it could. There are players who are top performers and there are those who have only the time to play a few minutes a day. Everyone is active as far as an Elvenstats definition of activity goes. My questions regard where to go from here.

I could stay the course and some players may drop out with inactivity and some high level players could get frustrated and leave or maybe just stop trying as hard if they feel they are funding others games. I could create rules for participation and remove players who don't have the time or commitment to follow the rules and then replace with (hopefully) more active players. I could also try to keep the less active players happy by putting them in a secondary fellowship with less strict requirements but there is not really a method to run a secondary fellowship, I would have to have an agreement with some other group.

Are there examples of this happening and how could I do it if I choose to? I like my fellowship but also want some players to contribute more. If they can't it would only be polite to have them go to a sister fellowship where they could continue playing as they have in the past.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
@Smooper
I did this with my FS many years ago . I created a sister FS , dragonrasses2. All the players that wanted relax slow paced went there. It eventually got … well, so relaxed I got rid of it . It’s a good way in my opinion to let them make their own decision to play the game or quit but still gives them a home
Hope everything works out for you .. it’s not easy finding dedicated players

Smooper

@Smooper
I did this with my FS many years ago . I created a sister FS , dragonrasses2. All the players that wanted relax slow paced went there. It eventually got … well, so relaxed I got rid of it . It’s a good way in my opinion to let them make their own decision to play the game or quit but still gives them a home
Hope everything works out for you .. it’s not easy finding dedicated players
Did you create a secondary account to play in the same server or did you assign someone you trust to run the fellowship?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I'm only responsible for making sure the people in my FS are the right fit for my FS. I'm not responsible for players figuring it out what their right fit is outside my FS.

Smooper

I'm only responsible for making sure the people in my FS are the right fit for my FS. I'm not responsible for players figuring it out what their right fit is outside my FS.
I understand that point of view but I look at long time members as friends or family and I don't kick them to the street without giving a helping hand. It is only a game. Now if someone comes to my fellowship and just lays there without any kind of action, then they are neither friends or family.

crackie

I understand that point of view but I look at long time members as friends or family and I don't kick them to the street without giving a helping hand. It is only a game.
You offered them a choice. Nobody is being forced to do any more than they want to (or not). Players should do exactly how much they're willing to do and find the FS that suits that playing style. Nobody's being put to the streets either. For every player looking for a FS, there are probably 50 FS looking to fill spots. The majority of those are casual play. There are empty skyscraper size condos and residential vacancies everywhere, for cheap too! It’s a buyer’s market and always will be! Esp for casual fellowships. Just look at the Game Worlds subsection. How many FS are recruiting versus how many players posting they're looking? It's completely lopsided. If they can’t find a new home that then requires YOU to start another FS just to house them as the only solution, then they prob aren’t even trying. Heck, I would say even most of the top 100 ranked FS are casual play.

That being said, let's say you do this for a few rounds and keep raising the bar higher and higher until you're now the premo FS on the server and you guys can conquer it all...#1 ranking, 19th chest and change in tourneys, numero uno in FA, and a glistening Gold Spire. Well, guess what? You'll prob still find yourself asking the same existential questions then--"Is this it?" and "Where do we go from here?" Except instead of looking for more competitive FS, some might stop playing because they're bored and the game doesn't hold their attention anymore. Others might fizzle out at the demanding pace. You'll still have to continuously fill vacant slots and run the hamster wheel. Same Archmage problems :)

Therefore, I don't think it's really about the prizes or where on the spectrum of casual to competitive you choose to draw the line. It's more important that you, as the Archmage, define exactly where that line is and have players that are the right fit.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
We did the same as Darrielle. We now have two fs's. Starship Valiant- and Land of Shadows (on Khelonar) We then set goals for each with LoS being the "rest and relaxation" fs. As we raised the standards for SV, we made sure we gave everybody a lot of time (months) to meet the standards as we moved up. A few (5, I believe) moved to LoS because what we asked of them became less than fun. They would be welcome back at any time.

So, in the end, for us it was a matter of creating the opportunity and place where those who wanted to keep playing with at least some of their current fs mates could, and those who wanted to press ahead got that opportunity. They whole thing took us a full year but that was time well spent as nobody charged off all bent out of shape. \

As for who took the AM of the secondary fs, I did with my alt account, but then turned it over when somebody wanted to take it over. It's really not a lot of work since it's all "play at your pace."

AJ

Tuschunreal

i am rebuilding a fellowship "Relax and Be Merry" in Elcy. I started by removing inactive players (inactive 4-6 months) and re-wrote the overview. We accept any level players knowing it could be 6-12 months before we can achieve 10 chests. A couple folks have left for fellowships that are more aggressive. Based on feedback from the group I re wrote the summary (requirements) to make it clear we are growing to 10 chest fellowship over time. Each player is responsible to track their own "minimum' tournament score as each player grows their city at different rates. I am trying to set up a culture where everyone wants to contribute the best they can to the fellowship given that RL impacts play at different time. I have shared what it takes to get 10 chests by summarizing the 40,000 points and pointing to various write ups on the topic. The team wants to learn. It will be interesting to see when we get to 10 chests weekly if we ask "is this it" as discussed by @crackie I am hopeful we will have built some friendships and find ways to keep potential boredom at bay. A couple of us in the fellowship have discussed having two fellowships a more active/aggressive one and a more relaxed one. Instead of that as I meet more AM's I have been recommending players go check out another fellowship if they express a desire for a different style of fellowship. But who knows (other than @crackie) what the future holds.

crackie

It will be interesting to see when we get to 10 chests weekly if we ask "is this it"
A lot of Archmages draw the line at 10 chests and a blueprint, then call it a day. Nothing wrong with that. Expect the more competitive players to prob make the jump to Gold Spire FS next.

But who knows (other than @crackie) what the future holds.
I’ve done the ladder of progressively seeking more challenging FS until I too was bored at the top. Then I jumped to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and embedded myself with a bunch of newbies in a super casual, rule-less (and clueless) FS for awhile. Now I've sampled the whole gamut of FS types, from the super casual to the hyper competitive, and everything in between. I’ve been in a #1 and #863 FS. I’ve been the biggest city and the smallest runt. I’ve won FAs and struggled to finish just one path of one map. I’ve done 19 chests regularly and struggled to finish one chest. I know what it’s like being in a struggling new FS as well as an established top tier one. I’ve checked off a lot of boxes. In every FS, I observed what is and isn’t working and asked why. Even if it wasn’t a good fit, there was something to be learned from the experience. Sometimes experiencing what you don't like is what brings clarity to what you really want.

Tuschunreal

A lot of Archmages draw the line at 10 chests and a blueprint, then call it a day. Nothing wrong with that. Expect the more competitive players to prob make the jump to Gold Spire FS next.

I’ve done the ladder of progressively seeking more challenging FS until I too was bored at the top. Then I jumped to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and embedded myself with a bunch of newbies in a super casual, rule-less (and clueless) FS for awhile. Now I've sampled the whole gamut of FS types, from the super casual to the hyper competitive, and everything in between. I’ve been in a #1 and #863 FS. I’ve been the biggest city and the smallest runt. I’ve won FAs and struggled to finish just one path of one map. I’ve done 19 chests regularly and struggled to finish one chest. I know what it’s like being in a struggling new FS as well as an established top tier one. I’ve checked off a lot of boxes. In every FS, I observed what is and isn’t working and asked why. Even if it wasn’t a good fit, there was something to be learned from the experience. Sometimes experiencing what you don't like is what brings clarity to what you really want.
well said

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member

Exactamundo. I was in Thornwood for a long time under the former archmage. When I told her I was yearning for a gold spire and more than 10 chests, she encouraged me to go find it and then, when I got tired at the top, to come back and know that she will always make a spot for me. She didn't see her group getting gold anytime soon, and knew I was just wondering what life was like on the roof. She wanted me to experience it. I think she knew in her heart that if I didn't, I'd never be happy in Thornwood.

That's exactly what I did. I spent 8 months in top fellowships getting gold every week, getting three number 1 trophies in the FA, getting at least 13 chests and usually more in tourney. After 8 months, I realized I wasn't happy outside of Thornwood. When I wrote to her, she told me that she knew without a doubt I'd be back. She was thrilled that I'd picked the perfect time, because her illness was getting worse and she wanted me to be her second, to take over if she needed to be absent. I told her I'd be happy to pinch hit but that I hoped she wasn't going anywhere. She held on for about 7 months and then I had to take over, eventually becoming archmage. I'm slowly building up the fellowship and cultivating a gold spire team. We do it now once a month for sure, and on rare occasions other times too. Considering we never got above silver before, we feel like we're accomplishing our goals. I think if my AM hadn't been so wise, I might not have wound up where I am now.

So in the end, all experiences are good because they lead you to know what you really want.

Smooper

Exactamundo. I was in Thornwood for a long time under the former archmage. When I told her I was yearning for a gold spire and more than 10 chests, she encouraged me to go find it and then, when I got tired at the top, to come back and know that she will always make a spot for me. She didn't see her group getting gold anytime soon, and knew I was just wondering what life was like on the roof. She wanted me to experience it. I think she knew in her heart that if I didn't, I'd never be happy in Thornwood.

That's exactly what I did. I spent 8 months in top fellowships getting gold every week, getting three number 1 trophies in the FA, getting at least 13 chests and usually more in tourney. After 8 months, I realized I wasn't happy outside of Thornwood. When I wrote to her, she told me that she knew without a doubt I'd be back. She was thrilled that I'd picked the perfect time, because her illness was getting worse and she wanted me to be her second, to take over if she needed to be absent. I told her I'd be happy to pinch hit but that I hoped she wasn't going anywhere. She held on for about 7 months and then I had to take over, eventually becoming archmage. I'm slowly building up the fellowship and cultivating a gold spire team. We do it now once a month for sure, and on rare occasions other times too. Considering we never got above silver before, we feel like we're accomplishing our goals. I think if my AM hadn't been so wise, I might not have wound up where I am now.

So in the end, all experiences are good because they lead you to know what you really want.
What a great story. People first, always for me. It is why I care about how people who have been part of the game with me continue their experience in our fellowship or in another.