• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Sets...are they worth going for?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 841850
  • Start date

Deleted User - 841850

I already have set pieces from two previous events. From winter event: Ice Mountain Troll, Frozen Orc Vortex, and 2 Frozen Fountains and from spring event: Phoenix, Lighthouse, Pavilion, and Worship as well as Temple of Phoenix and Cultists Plaza.Is there a benefit to trying for more?
As they take up so much room at this point I feel as if I'd be better off trying for smaller buildings like the wishing well. Does that seem off?
In terms of efficient development of your city, how are these events best played? I can't seem to settle on a good strategy for utilizing whatever resources the event might have to offer! I did finally stop (like 2 events ago) clicking away for every daily prize, somehow it took me that long to realize that I could skip one thing to save up for another (I actually thought that I'd lose out on my chance to win the bigger prizes if I passed...dope).
While this is a question, it's also about the event, so I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, I'm sorry for that and please let me know how to correct it for the future. Thanks.

DeletedUser9601

I think this is posted in the right spot.

I personally don't go for sets, but its for 2 reasons that might not be applicable to most people:
1. I'm in later chapters (I think sets came out when I was in Woodelves), and they rarely offer the resources most critical to the later chapters (mainly mana and divine seeds). Instead they offer items like coins, supplies and tier goods - all of which I have in pretty good amounts already.
2. I like the other prizes better. Whether it is mana/seed-specific buildings, or the 14-hour boosters, or the military buildings for a 10-chest tournament push, I'd much rather have those prizes over the set buildings. Since you really need to go "all-in" on set prizes to get the 3rd or 4th link, I'd rather just skip them and get the stuff I want.

I think on the whole, the set buildings are "efficient," especially when you take out the need for streets. However, some of that efficiency I think is lost when you consider that:
A. the 24-hour collection timer is terrible, and results in lots of "lost" collections (for me at least), and
B. the set buildings make city layouts much more challenging. This can be a fun challenge, but sometimes, especially in smaller early-chapter cities, it just doesn't work.

I don't think prioritizing for the wishing well makes sense. It is a nice boost of diamonds, but those diamonds aren't getting you a ton. After that, the rewards are kind of meh. If anything, if you like this event (and you've advanced a chapter or 2 since the winter event), get this set, and delete the winter set. The reality of all of these event buildings is that as you advance, they become obsolete. A building that was really efficient in Ch 4 isn't efficient in Ch 6. Thats why in the early chapters I like to just get pop/culture buildings. Its a nice boost to my city's growth, and they're easy to compare against similar buildings to know when to replace them.

LayDHawk

I already have set pieces from two previous events. From winter event: Ice Mountain Troll, Frozen Orc Vortex, and 2 Frozen Fountains and from spring event: Phoenix, Lighthouse, Pavilion, and Worship as well as Temple of Phoenix and Cultists Plaza.Is there a benefit to trying for more?
As they take up so much room at this point I feel as if I'd be better off trying for smaller buildings like the wishing well. Does that seem off?
In terms of efficient development of your city, how are these events best played? I can't seem to settle on a good strategy for utilizing whatever resources the event might have to offer! I did finally stop (like 2 events ago) clicking away for every daily prize, somehow it took me that long to realize that I could skip one thing to save up for another (I actually thought that I'd lose out on my chance to win the bigger prizes if I passed...dope).
While this is a question, it's also about the event, so I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not, I'm sorry for that and please let me know how to correct it for the future. Thanks.
I think the sets are worth going for. The sets do take up some room but they yield goods, supplies and coin. After a bit of time you can sell them off or if you are lucky and dont need the room then by all means keeps them. The instants are great too! :)

Deleted User - 841850

The annoying thing is that I'm 5 away from completing Orcs and Goblins, I would have loved to have been in the next chapter already. I've got supplies and coins covered so goods are the only real benefit and I could have better used them with a mana supply. I'm almost out though, only 5 more sections so I'm sure I'll get the chance to acquire those types of buildings soon. Until then I guess I'll see about upgrading those set pieces. Oh boo, winter is my favorite season I love snow and cold and would love to retire to Alaska, so I'm kind of partial to the wintry style buildings, sets and others, oh well should be more in the offing, looking forward!

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Personally I like them for the extra KP, I know someone else in my fellowship gets them for that reason also. As mentioned above though they are kind of all or nothing, the luck involved in getting them can be brutal sometimes. You also tend to need to use the double points days to be able to get the 3rd event prize which is now often part of the sets.

If you don't think you can get everything then personally I would chase another reward. If you do like KP then the wishing well is an alternate option.

HJK84

I got a full Winter Set. Used it for a while.
Once I got into Chapter 6, realized I can get more Culture/Pop/etc. for less space, and no street connection required :eek:

There are many great reasons to get Full sets;
  • Full Set buffs, is usually quite awesome. Varies depending on Chapter you got the building in.
  • Aesthetics Imo, is the best one. They look so good!
  • Free Goods
  • Free Supply
  • Free Coin
  • Be lazy and just click to pick up every 24 hours, instead of clicking on Manus to make, and then pick up :p
The downsides;
  • Must allocate a ton of room.
  • Must build your city around the Set, instead of the other way around. Again... due to space.
  • Have to eventually swap the set out for better "stuff" (ofc it's same with normal Culture buildings)
Other ideas that could come in handy for making a decision. It all depends, yet again on your game play.

Getting Sets for pure efficiency reasons, ie; Kp, Goods, Coin, Supply (excluding last Chapter; Seeds).
Due to the mass room required, you can instead build AW's to counter all the above. Which in the long run will pay out greater than a Event Set.
Example, getting Kp. Add a ToS, yes takes Kp dedication, but if that's your goal, it's worth it + the Supply you get.
Still sticking with Kp. Add 1 MM/Sanc and you can compete more in Tournaments to fetch Kp + the Culture.

I can go on and on about getting AW's instead of Sets.

Hope this helps and gives other perspectives to the people going back and forth about Event Sets. Not to mention the stress some might put themselves under by saying; omg omg omg, will I be lucky enough to get it all?! I've been trying so hard! Pls Pls Pls!!! :confused:

Stress is bad for health!

Good luck! :)

DeletedUser9601

I don't get the AWs vs Sets comparison (and I see it elsewhere). Its apples to oranges. The beauty of AWs is, space permitting, you can have both AWs and Sets. I think the discussion needs to be Sets vs. Event Daily Buildings vs. Event Instant Rewards (KP, Supplies, Coins, Timers). Because that's the decision you're really making: what am I spending my event currency on.

Arayla

I think the AW discussion does apply. I have a limited number of tickets, so do I need to use them all to get the set? Not necessarily if I can get almost the same benefits from strategically placing certain AWs. Then I could spend my tickets on other event buildings. It is all part of the equation, and the equation is slightly altered by the each player's existing AWs and event buildings and what is needed for moving forward.

DeletedUser9601

I think the AW discussion does apply. I have a limited number of tickets, so do I need to use them all to get the set? Not necessarily if I can get almost the same benefits from strategically placing certain AWs. Then I could spend my tickets on other event buildings. It is all part of the equation, and the equation is slightly altered by the each player's existing AWs and event buildings and what is needed for moving forward.

I guess I don't consider AWs to matter to this discussion because, in my mind, the question of "does an AW provide supplies/coins/population better than another building" should always be in the front of your mind. And the answer is yes almost always (with the caveat that Golden Abyss takes until Chapter 5ish to be useful). So if the AW is always the best, you should already have that AW placed, whether or not there's an event going on.

So I look at the question from the OP as "do I want this building set, or do I want other things that this event offers," because its nearly impossible (unless you spend a lot of money) to get both a 5+building set AND a handful of useful daily buildings.

There's another question of "should I delete existing buildings to make room for the set?" But that's a very city-specific question that depends on your city layout, city needs, playstyle, etc. I'd be interested to see an analysis of "percent of city" devoted to AWs vs event buildings (I think elvenstats can provide that).

HJK84

Its apples to oranges.

Both are fruits. Nutritious, depending on what your body needs.
Metaphorically speaking, same applies to your city.

I think the discussion needs to be Sets vs. Event Daily Buildings vs. Event Instant Rewards (KP, Supplies, Coins, Timers). Because that's the decision you're really making: what am I spending my event currency on.

This is also a wise subject to tackle. As I see it, it applies again according to what you want for your city.
Specially for this current Event, where there are soooo many options *CHESTS*.

If you're looking for Big Culture, concentrate on the Daily that fits your needs. Replacing another similar sized Culture Building for another Daily, but with much higher Culture.
Usually, one of the Set Buildings also has a very good cpt (culture per tile) ratio. But, might need a street connection. That might displace the location of the Culture Building you wanted to replace.

The Instant Rewards... I can't speak much about these, I've horded 95% of all Instant Rewards I've won, excluding Kp Instants.
But looking at the Chests, many options, good ones too.
Instant Rewards, differs alot from any building. It truly depends on what you want. Or what you are desperate to have asap. Time Instants, Enchantments, Etc.

Another thing I will add, yet again is.
If you're a player who wants to spend 0$, then the Wishing Well is the way to go. Getting even just a couple, will most probably end up giving you enough Diamonds for 1 Prem. Expansion (which Imo. is the best option, specially if purchased while on sale)
As you saw my other Thread @Tedious I've made quit alot and used all to purchase a few Prem. Expansions.
I will be keeping all my "points" for the 2nd WW day, yet again. See how many I grab this time around.

*As I was typing saw your latest quote.
I saw @momestar is quite new here. I didn't check city. So I just gave an idea of what I thought about AW vs Sets.
Some people, as you also know, have no idea about the power of AW's. So I just through it out there :p

And I'm 100% confident that AW vs Sets city, AW will win with a huge gap :eek:

Deleted User - 841850

Wow! Tons of information and good ideas, real food for thought. Thanks to all.Yes, I'm a bit new here so, there are times I'm like what.... when it comes to the acronyms but look them up and eventually figure out what's flying.
My only acronym problem is when folks get away fro B, BH, C and M or MH. I do get sparkles and spells but when they are also combined with something like summer or d I'm left scratching my head and the problem with these is it seems that no matter how much I search, I can never find anything. Another aspect is that in order to get good results I've got to search though "Google", I wish the forums's search engine was more robust. I know that I went off topic big time, but the mention of me being new brought it to the forefront of my mind, sorry about that.
I actually think that I did the spoiler right, see I'm learning, I think, Yay me!

Mykan

Oh Wise One

The thing is you can have both :p In the case of the other person in my fellowship who wants lots of KP they get 28KP per day from timers and buildings (sets + wonders), not counting wishing wells or other KP earning options. There is often far more room then people realise as so many of us are reluctant to delete things even when we don't need them anymore.

Something else to consider with sets is the chances of your fellowship earning a blueprint. If the chance is high then the argument about bonuses wearing out may be a smaller concern to you. If you fellowship gets 10 chests regularly you will have plenty of blueprints to figure out how to spend.