• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Shard pieces?

DeletedUser511

Did the older players really miss out on all the provinces they have completed since Act 4 and the human wonder? So they didnt get any shards. Thats not fair because we would have built a wonder or two by now.:(

DeletedUser61

There are a few people, with rotten timing, who had already completed Chapter V and part of Chapter VI when the Elven Ancient Wonder technology was added at the end of Chapter IV.

If they had ALSO rushed to complete as many sectors as possible, then yeah, they'll be sucking wind for a while. But that's a VERY small group, and they're uniquely capable of catching up again.

DeletedUser511

I am well past that and have conquered many since that act and that means I missed out on a tons of shards. Even if I make up for it I will always be behind that amount. Because what I am making up could have been just normal getting ahead but no now I have to make up what I should already have done. This update should have come with a shard pack for the ones that are way past that.

Deleted User - 107391

Whoa. This applies to me, but I'm not sure how. I am in Act V, and was just about to go collect relics to gain KP to complete the Ancient Wonders research. I haven't read up on Ancient Wonders, and have lost the link. Should I NOT gain relics, or is it only completing provinces that is involved?

DeletedUser61

https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Ancient_Wonders

Once you've unlocked the Ancient Wonders technologies, we currently have Elven in Chapter IV and Dwarven in Chapter VI, then you'll get BOTH a random Rune Shard and the 8 specific Relics (incrementally) when you conquer a sector.
  • To unlock level 1 and 6 you'll need around 18 of the appropriate Rune Shard for that particular building.
  • To unlock levels 2-5 and 7-10 you'll need a total of dozen or so Relics from a particular age, INCLUDING your boosted Relics.
  • BUT one of the Ancient Wonders generates boosted goods whenever you visit somebody, so you'll do just fine without the production buff.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser43

Yes, xaviersmen, you got it. Not only that, but if you have gone far in this game then your scouts take flipping forever to get through provinces. For example, my scout is currently taking 1 day 12 hours for one province and the next province will be longer. So, not only have we missed out on getting all those rune shards from all those provinces we have cleared since Act IV, but now, with the time being so long, it will take us months to collect the shards just to unlock one wonder.

I guess they can't really add content to the game without hurting the current players somehow, but it sure would be nice that if you had cleared a certain number of provinces you got a certain number of rune shards automatically. Sort of a "thank you for playing all this time, we don't want to put you at a disadvantage with our new content" kind of thing.

DeletedUser

I am in the same position. After playing for months, and completing as many provinces as possible, I will not be able to recuperate enough to build a wonder for a long, long, long time. Ouch.

DeletedUser627

I am well past that and have conquered many since that act and that means I missed out on a tons of shards. Even if I make up for it I will always be behind that amount. Because what I am making up could have been just normal getting ahead but no now I have to make up what I should already have done. This update should have come with a shard pack for the ones that are way past that.

If they weren't going to credit us for our progress, okay...then they shouldn't have forced us to go immediately backwards and fulfill both researches. I was totally finished with ALL Dwarven section, waiting for Wonders. Instead of being able to just progress into the Dwarven Wonders, I had to go backwards and to the Elven/Human AW research first. Net result, we're neither rewarded nor in neutral - we're actually penalized: twice the Wonders required with fewer available shards. Best evidence: if you take a quick look through the fellowships, you'll more often see that the players with lower scores have Wonders built.

Hopefully, Xaviersxmen, Inno will fulfill their promise to offer shards via quests. If they do this regularly in the next guest race or an update, we'll be able to get the rune shards that the high mid level players will get through province conquests.

All the top players I've seen are seriously , well, I won't say struggling, but really having to work at it to get the last 2-3 land expansions. This means we're all finding it hard to win encounters and really need the rune quests to help with Wonders. I believe it will be counterproductive to the overall game if we can't move rapidly into building our Wonders. Once we do, we'll be able to help our fellowship members more freely, and lead the KP gifting by example.

DeletedUser61

no relics, just 3 random shards.
As I stated, you get the relics incrementally, by the time you finish the sector you WILL HAVE won 8 relics, 1 at a time for each of the 8 subsectors that you bribed or conquered.

DeletedUser43

To be fair, I think we should receive a random shard for each province we have already completed, but for me, that would mean over a hundred, which would be seen as unfair to most.

If they complete the provinces now, they get a random shard. I don't see how it would be unfair if you get the shards retroactively that they are going to get for doing the same thing you already did.

DeletedUser627

There are a few people, with rotten timing, who had already completed Chapter V and part of Chapter VI when the Elven Ancient Wonder technology was added at the end of Chapter IV.

If they had ALSO rushed to complete as many sectors as possible, then yeah, they'll be sucking wind for a while. But that's a VERY small group, and they're uniquely capable of catching up again.
(Bold added)

I do wish you'd make up your mind about us. Repeatedly, you've called us whiners, lazy, players who take advantage of game defects, about to burn out, etc. Now we're suddenly "uniquely capable of catching up again".

Is there anything you won't twist in order to make your point of rationalizing every single developer decision - regardless of game outcome?

And, since you've sided with the developers to remove virtually any methodology a dedicated player might employ to "catch up" - just exactly how would you propose we do that?

DeletedUser61

jigsaw.jpg
If you prefer to use a hammer to solve
a jigsaw puzzle, have at it. Enjoy!

I prefer the more intriguing challenge
of building a perfectly balanced, self sustaining city.
To your point, however, I've never even implied that any group was "whiners, lazy players." Anybody with enough horsepower to have a boost of 400+% will most certainly be able to figure out some way to get where they want to go, regardless of the obstacles that they have to overcome.

In my view, most of the hollering is just the standard ploy that engineers often use to brag about how competent they are. Engineers LIKE problems.

DeletedUser

If they complete the provinces now, they get a random shard. I don't see how it would be unfair if you get the shards retroactively that they are going to get for doing the same thing you already did.

I agree with you a hundred percent, but the pettiness of human nature tends to cause a knee-jerk reaction of, "But they have so much as it is, and I want to gain even more than that and overtake them in a shorter period of time with less effort." Perhaps I am being overly cynical, and it wouldn't bother anyone, which is a strong possibility given that cynicism is a default mode I constantly have to fight. XD

DeletedUser43

Kat...to use your analogy....the current players are being given all the pieces to a new jigsaw section, while those of us who have been playing for a while, were just given a new jigsaw section but we don't have all the pieces. It isn't about fair or not fair or who has what or who doesn't. This is a game and it is balanced in a certain way. The new content will be balanced for one set of players while it will not be balanced for others.

The designers didn't design the Ancient Wonders to take as long as it will take those players who are advanced past Section IV. They designed it so that the Wonders can be built early in the game. Sure, none of us can go back in time, and sure, it would have been great if the Wonders were there when we first hit that section, but does that also mean that we have to penalized and have a much harder time building the things given the enormous scouting times we now face?

From a purely business perspective, it isn't wise to punish your loyal customers while your current potential customers are watching. This isn't good for Inno. This isn't good for loyal customers. It is good for the potential attractiveness of the game to add more content, but they don't have to harm their loyal customers while they do that is my point.

DeletedUser

You, Bobbykitty, are brilliant. With a concise and easy to understand explanation, you put into words all of the tangled thoughts I have had since reading the wiki on wonders. Bravo. *begins a slow clap that escalates into roaring applause*

DeletedUser61

We do have a precedent, btw, as this is very similar to what happened when the developers did a major revamp of the FoE Great Building bonuses when Guild vs Guild was introduced. We could argue accordingly.

Take a close look at https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?6888-Vouchers-GB-Changes&highlight=Voucher

To cut to the chase, the players who had already COMPLETED Chapter V, when the Ancient Wonder technology was dropped in at the end of Chapter IV, probably deserve two or three vouchers that will allow them to instantly finish a level 1 Rund Shard ring. The vouchers could easily be presented as a temporary a "Type of Goods" in the Elven Portal, or they could simply Magic some Rune Shards into the two Elven Ancient Wonders, which could be used immediately for level one, or used later for level six.