• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Social media

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I received a survey recently, and filled it out, as always. This particular survey was about game support and information. I was asked about Wiki, Forum, the moderator support system and how I access it. I was also queried about Elvenar's Facebook page and its support system.

Let me be perfectly clear. I am aware of the game's Facebook page. I am aware that there are support and information questions answered at this location. I am personally quite knowledgeable about the game, luckily for me. I am also quite willing to share this knowledge here, luckily for y'all. But I am not willing to access social media at this time. This is a deliberate choice on my part. I am not willing to allow the Facebook platform to gather reports from my browser's history. That is not on the table. I should be in my control of my own personal information! And until Facebook is subject to proper oversight that might protect my (and my friends, and my "bubble's") privacy and mental health, I am going to continue to avoid it.

Please, can you pass on that I do not appreciate Inno Games pushing such dangerous spyware onto their players?

Thanks all for your time reading this post.

Lel

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
My entire family has decided to abandon all the social media giants -- facebook, twitter, etc due to these policies and others which seem to be designed to gather data and shape public opinion more than just be a platform for communication. We are encouraging people to abandon these sites until there is enough oversight/protection of these issues to warrant our return. Or to have significant and powerful competition in the field.

I've always felt that games should not be using these platforms to distribute prizes/rewards/surveys etc because that just puts pressure on the players to join these largely unregulated platforms that have become so influential. I should not have to be a member of facebook to effectively play Elvenar... even in the smallest degree.

So I agree.

AJ

DeletedUser27062

Can I just say how funny it is to hear someone talk about the dangers of social media on a social media forum... ;)

I don't do FB or Twitsville or Instaperv or any of the most popular social media sites but I also don't think Inno was pushing FB onto people in that survey.

DeletedUser27062

My entire family has decided to abandon all the social media giants -- facebook, twitter, etc due to these policies and others which seem to be designed to gather data and shape public opinion more than just be a platform for communication. We are encouraging people to abandon these sites until there is enough oversight/protection of these issues to warrant our return. Or to have significant and powerful competition in the field.

I've always felt that games should not be using these platforms to distribute prizes/rewards/surveys etc because that just puts pressure on the players to join these largely unregulated platforms that have become so influential. I should not have to be a member of facebook to effectively play Elvenar... even in the smallest degree.

So I agree.

AJ

You don't. I got the survey (which was browser based, not fb) filled it out and went about my day.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
So maybe it was the way I filled out the survey, but I was told, at the end, that I was not aware of the social media support feature. And this is part of the reason I posted here. The game has other ways it is pushing social media: contests and announcements.

GlamDoll

So, is the house-of-cards, built in the sand, finally gonna see it's demise? I didn't even get the survey, lol. I left almost all media a hot minute ago, maybe I am not eligible for this nonsense? Seriously, thank you for this thread! Just one more reason!

ajqtrz

If I go to Facebook and participate in a survey is there advertising I'm going to see? If so, am I not allowing FB to make some cash off my eyeballs by being there? And if I don't go, do I get to participate in contests? In other promotions? In other words, if I want to participate fully in the experience of Elvenar, I have to access Facebook and other large media giants, and in the process giving them at least ad revenues.

AJ

i rarely access Facebook and don't have either a Twitter or Instagram account. Elvenar regularly puts out announcements of competitions on FB or Instagram. i am sometimes perturbed that in order to participate in a contest i must have an account on those platforms. holding contests on certain social media platforms and urging players to go to that platform in order to participate is, in fact, pushing that social media platform.

The Unbeliever

Best thing every single one of us can do is to delete ALL social media and NEVER go back to it... Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, TikTok - dump it ALL! They need us - we however DON'T need them. :p
Censorship of opposing viewpoints & opinions is beyond evil, yet that is now where are we with Big Tech purging their platforms of everything & everyone who remotely disagrees with certain ideologies & the accepted group-think.

While I personally might not agree with another's opinion, I will stand up and die defending your right to express that viewpoint.

ajqtrz

well
it didn't take long for a couple of people to change the subject

Hmmm.... I've read the entire thread and can't find the post that "changed the subject." Which post doesn't express something about the acceptance or rejection of "media pushing" by Inno?

You don't. I got the survey (which was browser based, not fb) filled it out and went about my day.

I guess I assumed it did. Still, the contests and other promotions do go through social media often and that does mean I can't participate in those unless I access them. Overall my point stands even if I screwed up the particulars of the survey. Sorry.

AJ

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
So... have y'all watched "The social dilemma" on Netflix?

Personally, I don't care for FB and I think the echo chambers it creates are a detriment to society, but I also see it's usefulness. As a way to store&share photos and updates with people, while traveling, it's convenient and free*.
The marketplace is also useful, and in developing countries like those in SEA using a FB page as a simple company website instead of paying hundreds per year for a "proper" one makes a lot of sense.

As far as Elvenar making some contest rewards only available through FB or Instagram, or the Forums... I don't really care. I'm sure that data points towards "The more time players spend interacting with Elvenar the more money they spend" so encouraging users to integrate Elvenar into every platform makes sense. Really though, the contests they have are crap, so I never have a sense of FOMO.
Missing out on a random 1 in 10,000 chance at 100 diamonds is fine.
Remember the Gravity Inn that players "helped design" with votes etc? Have you ever even seen one?

@Lelanya does bring up a good point that the questions being answered there as well as having Inno staff use it to share information about the game sucks. I can't stand the layout of FB pages and I can never immediately find what I'm looking for there or on Platinum Leaf. Thankfully though there are enough regular FB users who can simply pass on the information here or in-game.

*Yes, I'm aware that if they aren't charging me to use FB it's because I'm the product. The thing is... I kinda like targeted advertising. I mean ads are going to be everywhere so why not see ones for stuff I might actually be interested in?
Netflix tracks what I like, and their "If you liked that you'll also like this" algorithm is spot-on.

All that being said though, the evils of the echo-chamber are scary... to the point where I'll bring it up again:

LayDHawk

Best thing every single one of us can do is to delete ALL social media and NEVER go back to it... Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, TikTok - dump it ALL! They need us - we however DON'T need them. :p
Censorship of opposing viewpoints & opinions is beyond evil, yet that is now where are we with Big Tech purging their platforms of everything & everyone who remotely disagrees with certain ideologies & the accepted group-think.

While I personally might not agree with another's opinion, I will stand up and die defending your right to express that viewpoint.
yes yes, what you said :cool: FaceBroke is horrible

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Netflix tracks what I like, and their "If you liked that you'll also like this" algorithm is spot-on.

You mean like when it says things to me like,

"Since you watched Quigly Down Under we thought you'd like this Korean zombie flick." ? lol

( for the record I loved that Korean zombie flick and the Korean Historical Drama zombie tv series ... but still )

The Unbeliever

We were actually considering potentially sub'ing to Netflix, as there's a couple Frank Grillo movies we were wanting to see, but then we discovered the whole 'Cuties' clusterfeth and decided to dump Netflix in the garbage where it belongs. :p

...no company that promotes literal child p0rn deserves our hard earned dollars.