• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Some Spire Of Eternity battles are not winnable. . .?

Lord Gero

I have noticed that sometimes, one of the Battles in Spire of Eternity will be unwinnable no matter what the strength difference is, even if it is heavily in your favor and the warriors you are using are NOT the ones that the enemy forces are strong against. When this happens there is NO point the try and win it because nothing makes it possible. it is usually the 2 to 3 battle levels.

I think it's BS here when is this happening. To place an unwinnable obstacle in the path is stupid.

Also, I notice that in the Special Quest events, like the current Sorcerers' Pilgrimage, that when you select the various prize options that that the Knowledge Points and Ancient Knowledge prizes are FAR too often granted, over and over, while the ones that are truly rare and desired, in particular the form of currency for the event, like "Sorcerers' Knowledge' are almost never rewarded.

No one cares about Knowledge Points and Ancient Wisdom. They are common and fairly worthless in the grande scheme.

AtaguS

I have noticed that sometimes, one of the Battles in Spire of Eternity will be unwinnable no matter what the strength difference is, even if it is heavily in your favor and the warriors you are using are NOT the ones that the enemy forces are strong against.
This sounds frustrating, and I hope this isn't the case as-a-rule in Spire. Although so much is a roll of the dice in there perhaps there is an unwinnable fight in rotation. I can tell you I've battled my way to the top of the spire 3 weeks in a row and only had to cater once the whole time, so it hasn't been my experience personally. Mind you, that was with a level 13 mountain halls, fire phoenix, dwarven armoror and UUU, so my troops were heavily foritfied.

Iyapo1

I think it's BS here when is this happening. To place an unwinnable obstacle in the path is stupid.
You win diamonds in the Spire! You have to pay actual cash for those otherwise. It is not unreasonable for Inno to require that you reinvest a portion of the prize if you are unable to fight or trade your way through.

My question would be to those who can make it through....the gods!

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I've been fighting to the top of the Spire in 2 cities every week for months now. My cities are set up for combat. I exclusively use manual fighting in the Spire (I'm pretty much all autofight in tourneys, though that may change with the new structure). In that time, I found one 3 wave battle (and it wasn't even the final boss!) that I was not able to win without spending hundreds of diamonds to revive troops. With some help from the diplomats in my FS I was able to get past that one roadblock.
When I say 'set up for combat', I basically mean: all 3 military production bldgs fully upgraded, 5-6 fully upgraded armories. Have a fully evolved Fire Phoenix and Brown Bear. I craft pet food and military boost bldgs every time I see them in the crafting menu and deploy a mix of those buildings every week (usually on Wed or Thurs to get some overlap between tourney and 2 Spire events out of them). I also craft Vallorian Valor and Grounds of the Orc Strategist bldgs when I see those. I build and upgrade military AW's (using that KP and AWKP available in events!) as soon as I can (stopped upgrades on the Bulwark as soon as I got Shrooms). I add in temporary lower level armories as needed to keep my training size/slot at 3x squad size or better while keeping training time/slot at 2hr45min-3hr15min, training something 24/7. I expect to feed the brown bear once/wk and use time instants/supply instants/PoP spells to push through extras to maintain my troop inventory.
I do not think this is the norm, but I do believe it's a necessary focus if you prefer to use combat exclusively. One side effect of that is having a huge surplus of goods (comes in handy when you hit a time crunch or some extra tough battles!) I believe most players use a mix of combat/diplomacy to complete the Spire, and I think most of that combat is using autofight (that results in more troop losses, especially at higher squad sizes). Since diplomacy gets progressively more expensive as you progress through the Spire, I think it's only reasonable that troop losses get higher as well. I see many players going to the top weekly using a mixed strategy.
The benefits of completing the Spire consistently over the long haul are: stockpiles of time and supply instants as well as stockpiles of teleport spells (I can move bldgs in and out of inventory at will now, never even thinking about having enough teleports) in addition to free diamonds. I've won several magic houses and magic workshops (less workshops, but my cities need fewer workshops than houses), freeing up space in my city for other things (like a gazillion Vallorian Valors and Grounds of the Orc Strategists, lol!) Also, the Spire set buildings provide enough spell fragments and CC's to craft whatever items I want as well. It is very rare for crafting to be idle in either city.
For me, the Spire is a welcome challenge.

Gath Of Baal

There are a few things you can do which will improve your chances of winning those "unwinnable" battles

1) Pick a unit that goes first and enter the battle screen and check the layout of the map.. Take note of the terrain for you and the enemy, also check which of your starting slots will be able to engage the enemy the first turn.. Then exit the battle map and select troops accordingly.

2 a) Always engage the fastest or ranged units first to either wipe them out or lessen their numbers to make their turn less painful.. No sense killing a slow enemy unit first since it will take them lots of time to lumber across the screen

2 b) Kill the Priests first, to me they are the most dangerous of the ranged enemies because of their debuff

3) Sometimes its better on your first turn to move back words, up or down to get out of range of their units first turn fire. this mitigates your damage taken on their first turn and allows you to hit back with almost everything on your 2nd turn

4) If no matter what you see that you are going to take a beating during the first turn sometimes a sacrificial unit put out front will save the rest of your units. This sacrificial unit can also "kite" the enemy into going in an advantageous direction thus buying the rest of your units more time

5) Always calculate and take into account the movement of the enemy units and what units of your they can reach on their turn.. You can see this by hovering over each enemy unit and it shows you their move range in red hexes on the battle map

Edit: There is in my opinion no unwinnable manual combat in this game

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
There is in my opinion no unwinnable manual combat in this game
I agree with this statement. Even in the one I described as 'unwinnable', I actually think something else was going on with me that day. Since I remember it was a 3 wave fight and not the final boss, and since the enemy units and terrain repeat, I must have defeated the same combination/terrain at the other levels. Maybe I was tired, lol! Or maybe I was trying to do it having forgotten to feed the fire chicken; I don't know now, but it had to have been something...

Iyapo1

I play exclusively on mobile. Manual fighting is not an option. I lose often. Any chance we can get a negotiation god to stand up. So we can compare to the city build @samidodamage shared?

Edit to add: I just hit chapter 3 today. So I have very little experience. Some of the fights I cant win because I dont have great troops( I had 16 treants this morning). On auto, with my troops, forget about it! But a well supplied city got me through what I couldn't fight, so far. Not far one day! But still, here to learn, any merchant gods?

Last edited: